"That's Not a Real Job"

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Nouw said:
They are silly people, ignore them and enjoy your fat-stacks.
*ahem*

I believe it's spelled "phat".

OT: If you do something, and are paid for it, and it is neither illegal nor the act of receiving benefits/welfare, then you, my friend, have a job.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
nexus said:
White-collar does it too in their own special sociopath way, so don't get any ideas on me being elitist.
Indeed, it does. My view of the 80's Yuppie society is based primarily off of what I read in American Psycho. :p

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Jobs are for slaves anyway. A free man has a self-sufficient plot of land and tends to it without becoming a puppet of another.
Artists are lazy bums that can't sustain themselves by labor and peddle bullshit to live on, this includes entertainers.
Critics are the shitty artisans who have no ability to produce, the equivalent of screaming in the night until they are given food but preferably shot.
Jobless and homeless people are the ultimate badass, they just don't give a f$#[

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
This reminds me of the "You need to grow up" thread. Some people get it into their heads that they have the "correct" style of living that everyone should follow. God forbid you want to do something that you....ENJOY DOING, regardless if it pays well or not.

And this comic strip seems kind of relevant:

Jamieson 90 said:
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."
I've heard some ignorant stuff but: ""Teaching isn't a real job." and "get in the real world." take the cake.

I hope your brother seriously reconsidered what he had said. Or that you punched him into next year. Or that he apologized for saying something so unbelievably nonsensical.

gmaverick019 said:
eh while i think the entertainment industry is way over valued sometimes in terms of how much some people make, they are all DEFINITELY real jobs

(and don't quote me with "blah blah people are willing to pay blah blah" crap, i understand all of it, doesn't mean i have to like it.)
I find this a tad bit ironic, considering you are posting on a forum primarily related to videogames and also have a Beetleborgs avatar. Can you clarify?

King Aragorn said:
Hmm...I wonder who taught him finance and banking...
Oh wait, teachers!
Maybe he learned by reading from an ancient book that was willed out of existence by the gods of finance. After all, if teaching isn't a real profession than he would not want to use a book by people who were taught writing and finance by teachers.

Sep 14, 2009
King Aragorn said:
gmaverick019 said:
eh while i think the entertainment industry is way over valued sometimes in terms of how much some people make, they are all DEFINITELY real jobs

(and don't quote me with "blah blah people are willing to pay blah blah" crap, i understand all of it, doesn't mean i have to like it.)
Well then, may I ask why don't you like it? I don't see what's wrong with that myself.
Jamieson 90 said:
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."
Hmm...I wonder who teached him finance and banking...
Oh wait, teachers!
well this has my long distaste for "assholes" (see apple company) and people willingly overpay to that garbage of a company for products that are nowhere near better than quite a few other substitute goods. i'm not trying to diss the actual product itself, but it is WAYYY overvalued, and i couldn't help but have one fat grin on my face when i saw apple's stocks fall by fucking 300 this past season.

also, i just find it almost disgusting how incredibly rich some entertainment artists/players are and their publishers are too. nfl/nba/mlb players, most of them make insaneeeeee amounts of money. i'm not trying to diss athletes, but you play for what, 10-12 years? and most of them are set for life.

personal example: my best friend's fiance's sister, just graduated high school this past year, she is dumb as a fucking bag of bricks and is as lazy as one too, but she makes insane amounts of bank for her artistic skills, each of her paintings usually sells for 5-10 grand, and these are just the ones she hasn't even made a name for herself with yet. as of right now she's sold 7 or 8 paintings i know of in the past 10 months, which racks up to around ~50 grand averaging.

yes obviously talent/skills factor into it and everything, i just think the "entertainment" industry is way over valued for what people are willing to pay for crap.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Of course I do, I draw Mario and play video games for a living! But this is mostly from other people in the elevator at work who work on other floors.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Would you expect to pay 10$ for a Van Gogh?

You are creating a product, and selling it at fair market value. Sounds like a job to me.

(And yes, I've had the same comment at my job, from my father. His language was a lot more colorful, but I'm making 6 figures, so he can stick it.)

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
If you're in it only for the money, it doesn't matter whether or not it fits a random arbitrary definition of "a real job".

If you're not in it only for the money, then it only matters whether or not it fits one certain arbitrary definition of "a real job" - your own definition thereof.

Oh and in a more economically stable country I'd be making several times my current pay, for the same kind and amount of work, pretty much.

Also, I find the desire to rub the money you're making into people's faces and going "Hah, who's laughing now, suckers" to be sociopathic. Acutally, if I may hijack this...

nexus said:
The blue-collar world is rife with pride in suffering. Not miserable every day? You're not a real person then. People that do this like to project their misery onto others. Try to invent a competition for "who has it worst" when there wasn't even a demand for such a thing.

They often brag about being sick, or hurt. They will ask you how you are, and if you reply with "not feeling well", they'll quip out a remark on how they were much sicker than you a few weeks ago, and how they went to work anyway. Etc.

Also, usually alcoholism.

White-collar does it too in their own special sociopath way, so don't get any ideas on me being elitist.
Maybe blue-collar brag about how hard they work, and white-collar brag about how much they make, and I'm very glad I usually don't wear a collar at all because I'd hate to be associated with anyone who acts in either of those two patters.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Jamieson 90 said:

My response:

Next time you should say something like "Ohh you get paid to move imaginary money around, that neeever caused problems before."

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
gmaverick019 said:
King Aragorn said:
gmaverick019 said:

Well then, may I ask why don't you like it? I don't see what's wrong with that myself.
Jamieson 90 said:

My response:

Hmm...I wonder who teached him finance and banking...
Oh wait, teachers!
well this has my long distaste for "assholes" (see apple company) and people willingly overpay to that garbage of a company for products that are nowhere near better than quite a few other substitute goods. i'm not trying to diss the actual product itself, but it is WAYYY overvalued, and i couldn't help but have one fat grin on my face when i saw apple's stocks fall by fucking 300 this past season.

also, i just find it almost disgusting how incredibly rich some entertainment artists/players are and their publishers are too. nfl/nba/mlb players, most of them make insaneeeeee amounts of money. i'm not trying to diss athletes, but you play for what, 10-12 years? and most of them are set for life.

personal example: my best friend's fiance's sister, just graduated high school this past year, she is dumb as a fucking bag of bricks and is as lazy as one too, but she makes insane amounts of bank for her artistic skills, each of her paintings usually sells for 5-10 grand, and these are just the ones she hasn't even made a name for herself with yet. as of right now she's sold 7 or 8 paintings i know of in the past 10 months, which racks up to around ~50 grand averaging.

yes obviously talent/skills factor into it and everything, i just think the "entertainment" industry is way over valued for what people are willing to pay for crap.
I personally think you underestimate art. Art is a vital form of self expression, it tells us about ourselves, about our culture, I think it's an important part of society. And that applies to movies, games, so and so forth.
When someone has secured the more vitals things for living *Food, water, a proper home, etc* I see no problem in one providing himself with entertainment. You can trace it back to the industrial revolution, after a while, people became wealthy enough that they demanded entertainment, education, etc.

Basically, after you secure yourself vitals, what there is to spend on? its territory goods/''luxuries'', and I don't think there is a problem with it. The people behind them put as much work as others do into other goods.

And hey, I like Apple.

Giyguy

May 3, 2011
Job, Noun.

Definition: a paid position of regular employment.

if you regularly sell paintings, you are the boss of your own business of selling paintings or drawings to people without the ability to draw or paint. If you sell paintings or drawings on the side, that's what we call working 2 jobs.

Yes, it is a job, stop being a dick to people who actually make money doing what they want to do. Just because YOU have a soulless, life draining job in a cubicle, or a job where you constantly drain your energy by moving things around for cash money does not give you authority to judge anyone else's way of making money.

The only time you can judge someone in regards to their job is if they break the law by doing their job. Stop being a dick.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I have been having this debate with myself about this topic for a while now. My father was a very mechanically inclined man. He could fix anything. He was working in an auto mechanic shop at 17 as an emancipated minor. Later on he would do house repairs on properties my aunt owned. He even spent his weekends fixing people's car's for a 6 pack of beer. When he ran out of cars to fix he would break his own cars so he would have something to fix. He was also a supervisor at a circuit board manufacturer. Towards the end of his life when his body could no longer manage crawling underneath cars all day he switched to learning how to work on computers(hardware and code). Regrettably he died last year because he had picked up another job dealing drugs and wasn't smart enough about it to avoid doing them himself.

I am the polar opposite of my father. Now that i'm older i have great respect for his abilities. When i was young, i just wanted to enjoy myself and play like other kids. I resented his trying to get me to help him work on houses and cars which i was too young to have any interest in. So i never picked up any skills till much later in life. When he threw me out on the streets at 17 it cemented just how much i never wanted to be like him. I radically changed my appearance so i would look nothing like i used to and nothing at all resembling him.

Unfortunately My new appearance limited the kinds of places i could work. I worked at a speaker factory for a year, but my appearance made a lot of other people there nervous. I was able to get a seasonal job during october working for an amusement parks holiday event which i did for 11 years while holding other jobs. I worked in a hobby shop for a short time before it went under. After that i worked for Hot Topic for about 3 yrs where my appearance was actually a big help in getting the job. After Hot Topic i moved on to an independent store similar to Hot Topic but more in line with my own style. Also thanks to my seasonal job at the amusement park during october, I was convinced to join an agency for movie/TV extra's and got work as a featured extra for a while.

None of the job's i have held have been high paying. I often consider the possibility that instead of doing things i enjoyed perhaps i should have done "real work" and changed my appearance accordingly. I live modestly. I sacrifice things that most people see as a necessity to keep my lifestyle. It doesn't help that i live in one of the most expensive places in the country to live while making basically a min wage salary. But i don't hate my job and enjoy it at points. My body isn't falling apart or in pain. I'm not in debt to anyone for anything(something credit agencies seem to despise. Whenever they run a background check on my credit it comes out with a bad credit score because its blank). I live within my means and have been given no handouts, or benefits of any kind.

I'm proud of my self sufficiency since by all accounts i should have died on the streets in a gutter at 17. Most people that become homeless rarely recover from it. But sometimes i do think about if it would have been better to have pursued a "real job".

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I think when people say get a " real" job , they mean , get a job that will sarn you a substancial amount of money . A job where , people won't look down on you . A job of importance .

Now you have everh right to say that's shit , but you cannot deny that in the eyes if a vast majority of people , art is not a worthwhile job .

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
krazykidd said:
I think when people say get a "real" job, they mean, get a job that will earn you a substancial amount of money. A job where, people won't look down on you. A job of importance.

Now you have every right to say that's shit, but you cannot deny that in the eyes if a vast majority of people, art is not a worthwhile job.
Yes, a lot of people look down on art. What's your point? Who gives a shit what "a fast majority of people" think? As long as you make money, it's a "real" job.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
Vausch said:
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?
Ya dude, people tell me that when I worked in gallery and now the same as an assistant curator in a museum. Its ridiculous, our economy (at least USs) is becoming so service and knowledge based with the dawn of mass media and internet that humanities jobs are warranted.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Bocaj2000 said:
krazykidd said:
I think when people say get a "real" job, they mean, get a job that will earn you a substancial amount of money. A job where, people won't look down on you. A job of importance.

Now you have every right to say that's shit, but you cannot deny that in the eyes if a vast majority of people, art is not a worthwhile job.
Yes, a lot of people look down on art. What's your point? Who gives a shit what "a fast majority of people" think? As long as you make money, it's a "real" job.
Do you you have comprehension issues? That was my point . I was merely explaining " WHY" people say those things and what they meant by a "real" job . You need to take a chill pill man .

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Vausch said:
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?

ignore that guy, he is just set in his ways. i can see his angle, and yes it is nice to break a sweat and stand back at the end of the day and be satisfied that you made/accomplished something. but when it comes down to it we all work for money. if somebody offerd me £100 an hour to pick up rubbish I would jump at it.

I also like to doodle on the side by the way, I once had to paint a 'sign' I guess you would call it, for this old guys canal boat. now I'm not a painter but I think I did an ok job but I felt super bad at the money he offerd me, I was expecting 20 at most for materials and a pint.
what sort of stuff do you draw/paint/create?

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Sounds like that person is in a really shitty job...

And doesn't drawing hurt your arms if you do it for like 9 hours straight (just like a "regular" job) ? I'd call that "physical labour".

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
A philosophy teacher. It's one of few close minded ideas I have, but if you study or teach philosophy it's cringe worthy. To have an interest in it is a whole different matter, but to have be taught what schools of thought there are and be tested on them is batshit insane.