"That's Not a Real Job"

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
It does seem a lot of the people calling for getting "real" jobs are thinking of various factors, none of them equalling the quality "real."

A lot seem to be saying "Get full-time employment," there's the "Do some physical labour", "Do something beneficial to society", "Secure a more stable income," and the "Stop being so blue-collar/white-collar/artsy, and get something as blue-collar/white-collar/artsy as me." Lastly there's the annoying "Earn more money!"

What I do not manage to get my head around is how many of you reporting being told off for having low-income, temporary jobs. It might be an European/American thing, but here, there's so much competition for these. Types of entry-level emploment, that such a disdain for work experience seems alien to me.

attackshark

Nov 16, 2010
i deal in art related things and have heard this before (obviously). my response is always the same. "i'll be laughing all the way to the bank."

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Well I work as a part time warden in port authority and there isn't anything to do during fall and winter months except basically arrive at work. It gets very slow and I've gotten a lot of shit from total strangers because of this. On the other hand during summertime, when I'm forced to be outside when it's 40°C (around 105°F); sweaty, sunburnt and dehydrated, explaining to the same guy for the fourth damn time how to find his ferry I get a lot of sympathetic pats on the back and "Damn, it sucks to be you" XD

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
snip
I'm not in debt to anyone for anything(something credit agencies seem to despise. Whenever they run a background check on my credit it comes out with a bad credit score because its blank). I live within my means and have been given no handouts, or benefits of any kind.
snip
I am bugging my congressmen and representatives, to pass legislation to automatically give good credit points to people every year they do not have debt. Trying to get others to join me.

I am thinking about getting more involved in politics just to bug people to fix problems like this. It is good too see other fiscal conservatives out there (Note: I said FISCAL, just nipping the dozen people hating on me for saying the "C" word)
I would love it if my lack of debt would reflect well on my credit score. But i don't think that passing laws is the answer. It just shows that credit scores are less of an indication of risk and more an indication of potential profit for lending agencies. If you do not have debt and are driven to stay debt free, than any lenders you deal with don't stand to make much money on interest dealing with you and have no incentive to do so.

One solution i would like to see is credit scores being information beyond the reach of any businesses that are not lenders and only with your permission to obtain a loan or credit. Living within your means could in some fields actually cost you promotions because some employers do credit checks.

Oh and don't worry. I'm not offended by the notion of being related to fiscal conservatism. My positions are varied, but i'll admit that fiscal conservatives have a lot of good points. I'll take that as a compliment :)
That is good. Too many people hear Conservative and immediately assume the far right people. I call myself a moderate conservative because of my view on fiscal politics.

I would be glad to see only finical institutions being the only ones too see a credit score. That would help as well. Thing is if we do not pass a law, then nothing will change because the businesses have no incentive to stop doing what they are doing.
In this case i fear passing laws wouldn't go far enough. Sadly business has proven that they can simply steamroll their way over and around penalties. And the penalties themselves are usually so slight that they feel free to ignore them. And if the penalties are strong enough to actually hurt them, they simply buy government support to lessen the penalty or remove the law entirely. I would be in favor of doing away with financial penalties and skip straight to public executions of company ceo's that are responsible for these offences taking place within their companies. At least that might actually justify their insane salaries and force them to be their own watchdogs.

Regrettably we seem unwilling to hold companies accountable in any real way that would change their behaviour. Laws are an inconvenience at best to them as it stands now. Vlad Tempes had the right idea. If you're willing to put people's heads and bodies on spikes, people shape up pretty quick and soon you don't have to worry about thieves. People are far too lenient now to the wrongdoing of others and then wonder why they are so often victimized.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
maninahat said:
All right, here's one for you. Is being a mother or a house wife a "real job"? I ask because a lot of people consider them not to be, despite involving a great deal of work that traditionally would have been paid for, if delegated to a professional nanny, cook or cleaner (all of which are definitely real jobs).

I don't plan on turning it into a feminist debate or anything, I'm just making the point that society has some very arbitrary ideas as to what counts as real work. Often the only qualifier is "do you get paid for it?", which totally flies in the face of anyone who works pro bono, voluntarily, or in a non-traditional role.
I don't see it as a job, rather a necessity to maintain a household. It's still very hard work, but I don't see it as a job.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Vausch said:
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?
Of Course! It's not a real job unless it crushes your soul one grinding 8 hour work day at a time.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am working on becoming an author and a screenwriter but some of the people I have told this to at my work place don't think that being an author or being a screenwriter is a real job. I don't understand why they don't think of it as a real job. A good author can get pretty good advances from a publisher and will also make royalties off the sales of their books.

It's like they think that having a real job means that you to do hard physical labor or hate your job.

Jun 23, 2008
My parents raised me in the '80s to value above all other things, the bottom line.

I should have been an arms dealer.

I should have made gazillions pushing AKs and UZIs into southern Africa. I should have gotten a trophy wife and given her a gaudy necklace made of cut blood diamonds. I could tell my parents how many people perished from the ammunition sold on those diamonds.

Fuck real jobs. Fuck them all.

The American dream was once the notion of an economy of consistency emeritus, the idea that an honest day's work would yield an honest day's pay (and that the work was there for the asking, not after all the buggery and cocksucking one has to do to get employed).

The reality of course, is that bankers and financiers make their gazillions by cheating the country with a double Irish with a Dutch sandwich (Google that. It was one of Romney's favorite tricks). Meanwhile soldiers get their asses shot off for a pittance, and servers can get underpaid and undertipped at the same time.

It's all real work. You're lucky to be creative and unlucky if you to have to risk limb or tolerate filth and sexual harassment, but there's no such thing as a fake job, and that includes clubbing your neighbor to take his money, because that's what you do to survive.

Yes. I'm sensitive. My country and my schools lied to me.

238U

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Jamieson 90 said:
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."
Don't worry. He probably couldn't handle half of what your job requires. Your job is one of the hardest on the planet.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I hate when anyone ever says "a real X", no matter what the X is.

"A real man", "a real woman", "real art", "real music", "real science", "real gay person", "a real sport" etc

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
Not strictly a job, but at a Science ball, a drunk Chemistry student told me that computer science isn't a real science. "I can't do it, I have no idea how it works, but it's not a real science."

I hope she was only joking, but otherwise I'm still pretty pissed she spoke down on my course about that. I'm not the most fond of computer science, but I haven't worked my ass off, while students from other courses got to have social lives, for nothing.

zehydra said:
I hate when anyone ever says "a real X", no matter what the X is.

"A real man", "a real woman", "real art", "real music", "real science", "real gay person", "a real sport" etc
Amen to that!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I dunno about the definitions of a 'real' job, but I do know what the blue-collars are getting at. Everybody should work tedious shit for at least one stage in their lives. I'm talking the eight-hour days in retail or the mind-deadening shifts in storerooms and factories. I say this because last year I got stuck with university students with no idea how real life worked. I'm going to university for myself in September, and I'll be twenty-one, and tomorrow I have to be at work for 8am to tend the vending machines and get on with my eight hours. Sometimes I do nine or ten hours. It's tiring, it's tedious and I don't want to do it for the rest of my life.

But it makes the Saturday night out so much sweeter. And I know when I'm in university, surrounded by eighteen year old kids straight out of college, I'll definitely appreciate the easy ride university will be compared to the shit I have to deal with, and have had to deal with in the past. My intellectual brilliance does me no favours when confronted by an angry customer in bright pink shorts. My sharp wit would only get me in more trouble.

There is no humiliation quite like having to swallow the rough edge of a public scolding from some idiot tourist earning more money than his personality deserves.

It's like how they say, you should do things that scare you. It's good for you.

Do shit you hate. For stupid hours. For stupid lengths of time. It's totally worth it. I feel good after a long day's work. I like relaxing.

Get a 'real' job, artists. Well don't if you're already earning from it - shit I'd love to be making money off the things I love to do. But if you're trying to get noticed, or anything along those lines, don't consider crappy work beneath you. Go do it. It'll give your art grounding, that's for sure. Also if you're good at writing and talking, your superiors like you more. And make you spell-check everything.

It's a good life.

Oh. And the icing on the cake. I get paid a third of minimum wage. I'm the definition of a tool.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Aramis Night said:
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
snip
I'm not in debt to anyone for anything(something credit agencies seem to despise. Whenever they run a background check on my credit it comes out with a bad credit score because its blank). I live within my means and have been given no handouts, or benefits of any kind.
snip
I am bugging my congressmen and representatives, to pass legislation to automatically give good credit points to people every year they do not have debt. Trying to get others to join me.

I am thinking about getting more involved in politics just to bug people to fix problems like this. It is good too see other fiscal conservatives out there (Note: I said FISCAL, just nipping the dozen people hating on me for saying the "C" word)
I would love it if my lack of debt would reflect well on my credit score. But i don't think that passing laws is the answer. It just shows that credit scores are less of an indication of risk and more an indication of potential profit for lending agencies. If you do not have debt and are driven to stay debt free, than any lenders you deal with don't stand to make much money on interest dealing with you and have no incentive to do so.

One solution i would like to see is credit scores being information beyond the reach of any businesses that are not lenders and only with your permission to obtain a loan or credit. Living within your means could in some fields actually cost you promotions because some employers do credit checks.

Oh and don't worry. I'm not offended by the notion of being related to fiscal conservatism. My positions are varied, but i'll admit that fiscal conservatives have a lot of good points. I'll take that as a compliment :)
That is good. Too many people hear Conservative and immediately assume the far right people. I call myself a moderate conservative because of my view on fiscal politics.

I would be glad to see only finical institutions being the only ones too see a credit score. That would help as well. Thing is if we do not pass a law, then nothing will change because the businesses have no incentive to stop doing what they are doing.
In this case i fear passing laws wouldn't go far enough. Sadly business has proven that they can simply steamroll their way over and around penalties. And the penalties themselves are usually so slight that they feel free to ignore them. And if the penalties are strong enough to actually hurt them, they simply buy government support to lessen the penalty or remove the law entirely. I would be in favor of doing away with financial penalties and skip straight to public executions of company ceo's that are responsible for these offences taking place within their companies. At least that might actually justify their insane salaries and force them to be their own watchdogs.

Regrettably we seem unwilling to hold companies accountable in any real way that would change their behaviour. Laws are an inconvenience at best to them as it stands now. Vlad Tempes had the right idea. If you're willing to put people's heads and bodies on spikes, people shape up pretty quick and soon you don't have to worry about thieves. People are far too lenient now to the wrongdoing of others and then wonder why they are so often victimized.
But putting heads on spikes has a draw-back of a totalitarian society, where even the slightest offense is punishable by death as is disagreeing with the people in power. Eventually, this type of society devolves into civil war, or worse, a collapse of the civilization.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't care much for people who look down on anyone's occupation, at least you are working. I see people say it about things like convenience store workers and such. It annoys the hell out of me. Get off your high horse. If you look down on someone simply because of their choice of employment, you are an asshole, simple as that.
I'd rather look down on the people who are on unemployment and collecting, while doing work under the table and gaming the system to get the most bang for their buck. Or the ones that just don't get a job at all and latch on the teat of society. Look down on them if you must look down on someone.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
Gilhelmi said:
Aramis Night said:
snip
snip

But putting heads on spikes has a draw-back of a totalitarian society, where even the slightest offense is punishable by death as is disagreeing with the people in power. Eventually, this type of society devolves into civil war, or worse, a collapse of the civilization.
Many places have the death penalty without turning into totalitarian societies. The distinction is rule of law. As long as people understand the rules up front and don't see favoritism toward individual groups, people will respect a government even if it is strict. Revolution's and civil wars happen when groups of people are marginalized and treated with double standards in how the rules are applied to them.People have an innate sense of fairness that when violated, will cause them to react unfavorably towards government.