The 2010 Community's Top 100 - Now Closed

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Personally I'm disappointed in the supposed no.1 game. I haven't played Fallout 3 myself but I've seen all the Spoiler Warnings about it so far, and I'd venture a guess that people are impressed with some modded version of it, or some entirely community-made expansion for it.

Anyway, thank you for doing this, Cpt. Obvious.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Not a lot of PS3 exclusives there.

Fallout 3 can't be 1st if you have stupidly ignored all votes for The Orange Box, divide the votes between Half-Life 2 and Portal at least.

What a waste of time.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
Interesting to see some of the results, the escapist seems quite fond its RPGs by the looks of things. Also Zelda, there's what: 5, 6 titles up there?

I was happy to see Baldur's Gate 2 in the top 50 love that game

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Uncompetative said:
Fallout 3 can't be 1st if you have stupidly ignored all votes for The Orange Box, divide the votes between Half-Life 2 and Portal at least.

What a waste of time.
It can be if I ignore them. Because it is.
And it's not stupid when you explicitly ask for 5 GAMES. The Orange Box is 5 games, 6 on PC - not just Half Life 2 and Portal. Add to that the other 4 games someone wants and I'd rather go for those in the interests of fairness to everything that wasn't made by Valve.

Don't like it, don't comment but don't just ***** about this.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
[HEADING=2]Mass Effect[/HEADING]
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks, ZeniMax Media
RPG
PC
12+
I'm pretty sure Mass Effect is Bioware, not Bethesda.

OT: Great job, that must've been hell to count...

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
And to give the thread a shameless bump so everyone knows I've counted these results, here's the edited front page:

[HEADING=1]The Results![/HEADING]​
Now firstly I'm going to have to have a small-ish rant while explaining how I counted certain votes. Then I'll give you a few "fun" facts and figures before announcing the Top 10 with details and then the other 90 as just a boring old list. There will be cake at the after party. Honest.

[HEADING=2]Votes[/HEADING]
The most common problem I encountered while counting the votes was that many of you put down more than 5 games in one way or another. The Orange Box was not a game, as it's name suggests, it was in fact a box of games. If you voted for it without an alternative your vote has been ignored.

If you voted for a series, for example "Tekken Series", I can't be bothered to chase down hundreds of Escapists to get them to change it or suggest their favourite. In this case the first of the series has been voted for, that's the only game title you put down.

If you just put down more than 5 games then the first 5 games you voted for were counted, the others ignored. This includes "Mass Effect 1 & 2" but in this case the first game you typed is counted and your remaining votes (unless otherwise covered) were still included.

If your one choice was two unrelated games then your vote was decided by flipping a coin.

I thought my joke about Duke Nukem Forever might be a a hint that voting for unreleased games or games you haven't played is a waste of a vote, yet a couple still did it. If it's in Beta that's fine, but there was one vote for The Last Guardian's trailer...

Asking me to choose. Why? If I do it, it's not the Escapist Community's Top 100 is it?

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me through that, now for a few fun facts:
Factbox said:
My Computer crashed twice counting the results.
There were 663 different games voted for.
With the the above criteria there were 3623 votes.
This took me bloody ages.
And now, without further faffing about, may I present to you... The Escapist Community's Top 100 Videogames!

Action RPG
PC, XBox 360, Playstation 3
18+
[HEADING=2]Portal[/HEADING]
Developer: Valve
Publisher: Valve
Microsoft Game Studios
Puzzle FPS
12+
[HEADING=2]Oblivion[/HEADING]
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks, 2K Games
Action RPG
16+
[HEADING=2]Half Life 2[/HEADING]
FPS
16+
[HEADING=2]Mass Effect 2[/HEADING]
Developer: Bioware
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Action RPG
PC, XBox 360
18+
[HEADING=2]Zelda: Ocarina of Time[/HEADING]
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Action Adventure
Nintendo 64, Gamecube
7+
[HEADING=2]Team Fortress 2[/HEADING]
Multiplayer FPS
16+
[HEADING=2]Knights of the Old Republic[/HEADING]
Developer: Bioware
Publisher: LucasArts
Action RPG
PC, XBox
12+
[HEADING=2]Mass Effect[/HEADING]
RPG
PC
12+
[HEADING=2]World of Warcraft[/HEADING]
Developer: Blizzard
Publisher: Blizzard
MMORPG
PC
12+
Bioshock -- Dragon Age Origins -- Morrowind
Pokemon Yellow /Red / Blue -- Call of Duty 4 -- Starcraft
Pokemon Silver / Crystal / Gold -- Shadow of the Colossus -- Warcraft 3
Final Fantasy 7 -- Deus Ex -- Halo: Combat Evolved
Planescape: Torment -- Red Dead Redemption -- Psychonauts
Halo 3 -- Metal Gear Solid -- Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Resident Evil 4 -- Grand Theft Auto San Andreas -- Half Life
Metal Gear Solid 3 -- Zelda: Majora's Mask -- Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Baldur's Gate 2 -- Diablo 2 -- Metroid Prime
Final Fantasy 9 -- Super Smash Bros Melee -- Counter Strike
Assassin's Creed 2 -- Final Fantasy 10 -- Goldeneye
Rome: Total War -- Beyond Good & Evil -- Chrono Trigger
Super Mario 64 -- Zelda: Link to the Past -- Batman: Arkham Asylum
Fable -- Chrono Cross -- Final Fantasy 6
Pokemon SoulSilver / HeartGold -- Ratchet & Clank -- Spyro
Super Smash Bros Brawl -- Uncharted 2 -- Zelda: Wind Waker
Grand Theft Auto Vice City -- Modern Warfare 2 -- Silent Hill 2
Civilisation 4 -- Left 4 Dead -- Saints Row 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2 -- Super Mario Galaxy -- Battlefield Bad Company 2
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 -- Grand Theft Auto 4 -- Guild Wars
Jak & Daxter -- Kingdom Hearts 2 -- Left 4 Dead 2
Okami -- Timesplitters 2 -- God of War
Grim Fandango -- Mafia -- Mount & Blade
Super Mario World -- Borderlands -- Final Fantasy Tactics
Heroes of Might & Magic 3 -- Medieval 2: Total War -- Metal Gear Solid 4
Neverwinter Nights -- Persona 4 -- Pokemon LeafGreen / FireRed
Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire -- Ratchet & Clank 3 -- Super Metroid
Age of Empires 2 -- Bioshock 2 -- Fallout 2
Jak 3 -- Kingdom Hearts -- Knights of the Old Republic 2
Ratchet & Clank 2 -- Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl -- Zelda: Twilight Princess
A fantastic effort! I'm glad to see my 5 made it into the list.

[sub]Why do computers always seem to crash as soon as any sort of fragile data is being handled?[/sub]

EDIT: Also, would you mind releasing the numbers of votes for each game as well? Maybe as a graph of votes against rank?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I like that list, I see the escapist has a good taste in games. Ultimateownage approves of fallout 3 being number 1. The only problem with the game is that it crashed. All. The. Fucking. Time.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Not particularly surprising in most cases, although I admit I am surprised (but pleased) that Fallout 3 made it to Number 1. I expected it to be in the top 10 but so many people ***** about it (and Oblivion) on here that I expected it to be slightly lower.

Anyway, very nice work and kudos for the insane amount of effort put into making all of this.

It's a shame I didn't get to vote (wasn't on here at the time) but the only ones I'd vote for not in the top 10 would be Bioshock and System Shock 2.

Uncompetative said:

What a waste of time.
The Orange Box is not a game, it's a collection of games. If people can't figure that out then that's their problem.

EDIT: Mass effect is an Xbox 360 game as well, I just noticed that it only says PC.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Great list. Glad to see some unexpected ones, like Vice City and Red Alert 2. And very glad to see that FFT squeaked in as well. And that Goldeneye did very well! I wish I had known about this, Vandal Hearts 2 and Legend of Disgaea would have gotten a boost.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Great list, and while I agree with nearly all of the games that got on, and I'm especially pleased that one of my favourite serieses[footnote]Wait, how do you pluralise series?[/footnote] of all time (Ratchet and Clank) got three games on there, I'm somewhat confused about how RD:R got to nuber 24 after being out for about 20 days, unless it got a lot of votes from the reaction many people[footnote]Myself included[/footnote] have to new games of "OMG this new game is the greatest game EVAR!!" but that may simply be my personal opinion.

Legion said:
EDIT: Mass effect is an Xbox 350 game as well
What's an "Xbox 350"?
Is it some kind of prototype of the 360?
[sub]I'm sorry, I just had to make fun of that typo. I apologise[/sub]

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Not all that unexpected, Huzzzah for Oblivion making 3rd place!

And Jak and Daxter in the top 100! FUCK YEA!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
For the amount of voters, I'd hoped more people might care. Might just have to wait wait for the rest of the world to wake up though.
I'm a master of disguise right now.
[img= height='250 width='200 src='http://www.arrse.co.uk/uploads/forums/mr_20bump.jpg']
See what I did there?

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Seeing my favourite game achieve number one is so uplifting for me. The Escapist is the one place I go for opinions that actually matter and when your opinions say this it......well.....it's just beautiful.
As for Cpt_Oblivious, you have restored my faith in humanity. Thanks man.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
SeanTheSheep said:
Legion said:
EDIT: Mass effect is an Xbox 350 game as well
What's an "Xbox 350"?
Is it some kind of prototype of the 360?
[sub]I'm sorry, I just had to make fun of that typo. I apologise[/sub]
Well you see, where I come from we cannot afford those fancy 360's and so make our custom models, the 350's out of an Xbox taped to a Playstation 2.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
For the amount of voters, I'd hoped more people might care.
I am sure they would but discussing/arguing over Jim Carrey/Lady Gaga avatars is apparently very exciting.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Surprised to see Oblivion so high. The rest... eh, I don't agree with it, but I can see why they'd be selected.