The 3rd Annual The Escapist Film Festival Winner Announced

varun619

Jun 23, 2009
dunnace said:
*Does sad panda face for not even making honourable mentions...*

Congrats to winner, Dorian's Quest is a well deserved win as it shows a lot of potential (although I do fell kinda snubbed that an independent film contest entry has such high production values... feels kinda self-defeatist that something about helping those without funding get a show with funding should be won by a entry that was clearly very well equipped and funded... but then again I'm bitter and no-budget... yay...)

But regardless, I did like the winners entry and I'm sure it'll be fun to watch.
So, so true.

chessgeek4400

Dec 12, 2009
i enjoyed dorian's quest but i was looking more for pocket monsters to win. i felt dorian's quest was too similar to doomsday arcade and this site could use some variety. However i will still watch it.

lemon-guy

Oct 12, 2009
Dorian's quest was well acted its true but I felt the concept was way too cliche. Maybe the next episodes will change my mind but based on that pilot I only established that these guys have a good quality production team and not necessarily a good script.

Pocket Monsters I felt had more potential, maybe its just my inner fanboy speaking but I really like dark versions of video games. That was the only video which I really wanted to see continue

ryuutchi

Apr 15, 2009
I find it sort of amusing that people are acting as though no one liked Dorian's Quest. It was first runner up for the Viewer's Choice Award and was in first place for at least half the contest.

IMO, you have to look at the judging criteria for the context, and that will explain why DQuest won:

Subject - Is the subject matter interesting to readers of The Escapist?
Creativity - Is it fresh and unique?
Longevity - Will this remain funny/interesting/relevant over time?
Polish - Make it shine, people!

Subject and Creativity-- clearly subjective. I enjoyed it. Enough people enjoyed it that it was first runner up for the Viewer's Choice Award (as already mentioned). It definitely a show with longevity. It's one of those plots where the concept can last as long or as short as the series creator really wants. And what probably bumped it to the top spot was just how clean and polished it looked. I watched a handful of other videos, including Pocket Monsters, and interesting though they all were, none of them had cinematography up to the same standards as DQuest. DQuest looked like someone was doing it for fun, but it didn't look amateurish.

There's also the fact that the DQuest crew has done another series and proved that they can produce a regular series, although I don't know how much of a factor that actually had.

That said, the votes for Pocket Monsters weren't wasted votes. They just weren't votes for what you happened to think they were. The Viewers Choice winners, like the other non-Grand Prize winners won a "$200 Amazon Gift Card and The Escapist Swag Pack."

Angrypudding

Dec 11, 2009
Meh, Pocket Monsters not winning will probably make me not come back to this site. It just seems silly.

Aug 30, 2009
BrettRegister said:
Thanks so much to everyone for all the support through out!! We're very excited and plan to bring you an amazing series! Can't wait to get started - more DQuest coming sooooon!
Congrats. You guys deserved it. I was with you guys the entire way.

But, I am quoting you for a question.

Is Dorian the guy in the red shirt? If he is, is the other guy coming with him. because in the description, it confused me because it only mentioned Dorian.

hopefully you can get to this. Congrats again, I can't wait to see what's up for us in the future. :)

Aug 30, 2009
Angrypudding said:
Meh, Pocket Monsters not winning will probably make me not come back to this site. It just seems silly.
"EGAD! A DREADED TROLL!"

Just had you quote that from Inter-nettiqit
who cares if it lost, it'll get it's chance next year.
now stop trolling and get back to the beauty of escapist.

Angrypudding

Dec 11, 2009
Fallenangel157 said:
Angrypudding said:
"EGAD! A DREADED TROLL!"

How is that trolling at all? I mean Congrats and props to the winners, Dorians quest. Fair is fair I suppose. All I'm saying is I think its weird that the viewers choice wasn't offered a series. So, posters like you and me don't really make a difference. Thats it. I'm not trolling. lol

Angrypudding

Dec 11, 2009
varun619 said:
WaderiAAA said:
I hope the team behind Pocket monsters will turn it into a series. Dorian's Quest is second place on my list, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also, why is buffering not even an honourable mention. I gave it one of my votes and i think it was quite funny.
Thank you. I made it :)
No you didn't make it. Tejeti made it. Quit lying.

MrDarkling

Crumpled Ball of Paper
Oct 11, 2009
BrettRegister said:
Thanks so much to everyone for all the support through out!! We're very excited and plan to bring you an amazing series! Can't wait to get started - more DQuest coming sooooon!
Exactly what I want to hear sir :D
Another awesome looking series to add to my addictive time table of Escapistness! XD

InventiveHero

Oct 2, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
If you didn't get mentioned among the winners, don't let it get you down. There are ways to handle rejection. I know a few that might help your future submissions [http://www.blueinkalchemy.com/2009/12/19/pt-handling-rejection/].
That link was awesome! Thank you Blue Ink Alchemist!

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Next year I must win! But first I must get a higher quality camera... I don't think you can win by simply using your webcam.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Congrats to Dorians Quest, and all other winners. And like most others, I wanted Pocket Monsters to Win more then Dorian's Quest. And honestly, how was Pitch Imperfect better then the show with the pink cats? I didn't think that was good at all (Especially since it was under my video, which alot of people said was bad). Regardless... Congrats.

varun619

Jun 23, 2009
Angrypudding said:
varun619 said:
I'm continuing it on YouTube as well. I submitted it to blip.tv and it got featured haha. I 'm really excited :)
Thats funny. Cause you didn't make it.
I was referring to "buffering". Please read up before you start flaming.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Fallenangel157 said:
"EGAD! A DREADED TROLL!"

...I didn't even win, and someone still actually quoted my video...
...As small a gesture as it is, it's still kinda flattering.

I do have to wonder about just one thing, honestly. I don't mean to sound like I'm put off by what happened or that I doubt the standards and judgment of the Escapist staff, but... Why was Pitch Imperfect considered Best Animated? I'm not saying the idea was unfunny or anything - I didn't have a problem with the written material - but the "animation" aspect of it was simply a bunch of 3D stills for five minutes, with what looks like MS Paint thrown in at the very end. There was very little animation to actually be found over the course of the video...

Aug 30, 2009
SharPhoe said:
Fallenangel157 said:
"EGAD! A DREADED TROLL!"

...I didn't even win, and someone still actually quoted my video...
...As small a gesture as it is, it's still kinda flattering.

I do have to wonder about just one thing, honestly. I don't mean to sound like I'm put off by what happened or that I doubt the standards and judgment of the Escapist staff, but... Why was Pitch Imperfect considered Best Animated? I'm not saying the idea was unfunny or anything - I didn't have a problem with the written material - but the "animation" aspect of it was simply a bunch of 3D stills for five minutes, with what looks like MS Paint thrown in at the very end. There was very little animation to actually be found over the course of the video...
Np, I liked your video a lot, I actually think we need something like your video on escapist. But making it on youtube is just as good :)not only was it knowledgeable it was funny as hell so I say ty for submitting your video here.

Aug 30, 2009
chessgeek4400 said:
i enjoyed dorian's quest but i was looking more for pocket monsters to win. i felt dorian's quest was too similar to doomsday arcade and this site could use some variety. However i will still watch it.
lol, and PM wasn't!?

but in all seriousness PMwas more like a cross between TWBB and Dooms Day Arcade. It had the compelling story of TWBB and the awesome effects of Dooms day Arcade.

I would love to see PM go on, but I loved Dorians for this important reason,

WE BOTH HATE RPGs and of course, everything else that was good said about Dquest.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
OMG Aero said:
So wait, the viewers votes didn't count for the overall winner? I was under the impression that we got to pick the next series.
No, they just get the Viewer's Choice award, and one of the runner-up prizes.