The 90s Was The Last Great Decade

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
You might want to remember that the internet only really kicked off in the 00's.

If that's not memorable then I don't know what is.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Political Correctness isn't even a real thing. It's just a bunch of stupid talking head on the teevee yacking about how horrible it is that some government official gave advice on how not to be an asshole in an unusual situation while the teevee jackass plays a clip of some random, ugly, easily offended person being offended at something stupid.

Nothing is happening now that hasn't happened since the day after someone first learned to be an inconsiderate twat.

Adrian Neyland

Apr 20, 2011
There are dark and violent things for adults. Oh and by the way, did you seen toy story 3, it got pretty fucking dark.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Lies. The 50s were the last great decade.

The 1650s.

Kargathia said:
You might want to remember that the internet only really kicked off in the 00's.

If that's not memorable then I don't know what is.
*twitch*
The dot com boom [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble] was squarely in the 90s.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Bah- most of the best stuff on TV in the 90's were just reruns of stuff from the 80's anyway.

Rugrats was the bomb though.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I can't remember everything back in the 90s but the entertainment was far superior in quality compared to today's garbage (well not everything today is bad, we do have pony's :p). Actually, the early 2000's were really good too now that I think about it, especially for the gaming scene.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Very true.

I remember watching DBZ in the late 90s as a child and it was completely uncensored, blood and holes-blown-through-people and everything. Then when it got remastered they removed most of the blood and violence. It's pathetic. Who cares? I'm not going around beating people up or being overly violent.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
The theory that mankind is in a permament descent (i.e. yesterday was better than today) has been around for, what, every possible timespan since the creation of man?

It's normal, I guess, because our memory is selective, and we are always afraid to some degree of what lies ahead.

My favourite take on it is this: "There's never gonna be another day as good as today - so make something of it!"

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
DarthScorpio11 said:
political correctness ruined the 00s. In the 90s, kid cartoons could be violent, and I believe Speed the rated R movie was even nominated for a Kids Choice Award. I mean, have you seen Hunchback of Norte Dame. It was rated G, and was very dark. Would have gotten a higher rating in the 00s. Also, you could also say more stuff back then, and people wouldn't be so sensitive. I was watching Angel, and Spike made a joke about Angel calling him a poof. I can't see that flying in the 21st century. People these days are so uptight...
What do we have here? Why it's my favorite topic to ridicule - the good old days.
I remember it like it was yesterday - world peace, flying cars and free blowjobs every 20 minutes. It was so good to live in the 90's.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I preferred the 80's.

Seriously the 80's was amazing .... apart from the hair. I don't look back fondly on my mullet.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
me the only good thing about the 90's was the end of it, the time I like to call the golden age of games.

games from the end of the 90's and 2 or 3 years into this century are still most of the most loved and played games of all times, like Starcraft, Half-life and Zelda: Ocarina of time comes from that era, and not to mention the mega success of The Sims.

it was the time when the internet was making it's way into the common man's home and pretty much every kid had some kind of console attatched to their TV.

ah... nostalgia ^_^

anw, I still wouldn't go back though, this day and age is pretty nice, and I think that great things are about to happen in the future.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
DarthScorpio11 said:
Marter said:
Wait, Speed was rated R in America?

Huh. It's PG here...

Anyway, I think we're just fine right now. No better, no worse.
Speed, as in the Keanu Reeves movie is only rated PG where you live?
only rated M here and thats like 15+

i think its just people looking back too fondly on their child/teen years. plus a little bite of oversensitive parents with too much power

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
DarthScorpio11 said:
There was a lot to dislike in the 90's. A lot of things to like too. But you were too young to know/remember what sucked. I refer you to the quote of Mr Randy the Ram Robinson:

It was a cynical, flannel wearing, boy band filled, vhs watching decade. It gave us new polarizing political media, and an internet where you could only download things at 58 kb's tops (at the end of the decade even) unless you were some kind of sultan. What's more we 80's kids were less than impressed with most of your cartoons and their distinct lack of swearing robots.

And grunge people smelled bad. I don't know if you knew that, but they did. Most fashions were horrible. Though I suppose I'd trade a popular current of cynicism for our modern current: OF DESPAIR. Political correctness was rife in the 90's too kiddo, dunno if you knew that but that is when the phrase started getting kicked around by the likes of Limbaugh. If anything though we need a little more political correctness today and less accusing our presidential candidates of being terrorists or racists respectively.

For what it's worth I thought the 00's had the best music, the internet matured in that time and people started watching anime... like popularly. Also, gaming culture went mainstream and some great shows were made. Yeah. Also girls looked great in the 00's, fashions were flattering. On that front they weren't so bad.

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the popular culture getting worse. People were still celebrity obsessed, "reality TV" was in full swing and today's trope idiot kids had their analogs in history.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
DarthScorpio11 said:
Marter said:
DarthScorpio11 said:
Speed, as in the Keanu Reeves movie is only rated PG where you live?
Yes, that's the one.

I just checked my DVD to make sure I was right. It says PG on it.
Rated R for violence and language here in the US.
There was language and violence in that movie?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The 90s were largely conflict free for the UK and US (at least compared to the present), so there is that. But it had really god awful fashion, astonishingly bad pop music, the rise of loutish lad's mags, and India, China, and Nigeria were a lot poorer than today. Plus, not much in the way of internet.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOO FUCKING NOOOOO!!!!

uhhh Im sorry for that...really I am, this just really annoys me

look its nostalga ok? its a powerful thing that messes up your perspective

not saying there isnt truth but when it comes down to it its subjective..I mean acording to what alot of people have to say in the internetz you would think we are living in a post-apacaliptic wasteland right now

all I have to say is that current gen games are awsome,