The 90s Was The Last Great Decade

Entropyutd

Apr 12, 2010
DarthScorpio11 said:
political correctness ruined the 00s. In the 90s, kid cartoons could be violent, and I believe Speed the rated R movie was even nominated for a Kids Choice Award. I mean, have you seen Hunchback of Norte Dame. It was rated G, and was very dark. Would have gotten a higher rating in the 00s. Also, you could also say more stuff back then, and people wouldn't be so sensitive. I was watching Angel, and Spike made a joke about Angel calling him a poof. I can't see that flying in the 21st century. People these days are so uptight...

this is the angel clip im talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4j26Z7rD_E
Every generation has its "last great decade" ask mum, or your grandmother.

It's easy to look backwards with fondness at things long past and we naturally have the tendency to ignore all the crap. Especially when that decade is the one you spent your formative years in. (mainly because you are still a child and you do not focus on the negative things like the first Gulf war, LA riots, or Vanilla Ice)

You are probably only another decade away from using the word whippersnapper with no irony whatsoever.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
It's really the last few years where it's started to get stupid. The early 00's were good. I was too young to really remember the 90's but from I've heard they, or the 80's, were the best years to be a teen.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
aashell13 said:
i'm pretty sure there were a few 'letters to the editor' pages in 1910 filled with similar sentiment about the 1890's, what with all that newfangled silliness like cars and women voting.
TeeBs said:
I was so expecting this to be a thread of a prepubescent teen fapping to Nirvana, and for not being that, I will give OP A cookie.

Its not that I agree with you, my expectations were just soooooo low when I entered this thread.

Can I just say my universal opinion to all of these threads dealing with decades. *ahem* ALL DECADES SUCK AND THE ONLY REASON ANY DECADE DOESN'T SUCK IS THE VERY MINUTE DETAILS YOU CAN COME UP WITH THAT AT ANY TIME DIDN'T MATTER AS MUCH AS YOU THINK THEY DID, SERIOUSLY, BEETLES WERE A BIG DEAL, THEY WEREN'T THE END ALL BE ALL OF HAPPINESS AT THE TIME, THE AMOUNT OF ENJOYMENT YOU GET OUT OF ANY DECADE, GIVEN THE CHOICE TO LIVE IN IT, IS ALL UP TO YOU, SO STOP COMPARING THEM.
This and this.

The grass is always greener. In 20 years time today's 8 year olds will be saying that 2010 - 2020 was the greatest decade ever.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
So you think political correctness ruined these last two decades? Why are you so fixed on kids cartoons? Can't you watch something else for your insensitive kicks?

Cartoons were pretty messed up back in the ol' days, I remember watching the cartoon version of Watership Down. That shit was crazy, blood and gore everywhere. But that's besides the point, we shouldn't reverse political correctness because you want more violent cartoons and jokes with slurs, that is not a good reason to overwrite all our efforts to make society friendlier to minorities.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
In 2020 we'll all go "Aw man, the 00's were great and this is crap"
And in 2030 we'll all go "Aw dude, the 10's were great and this is crap"
And so on and so on and so on..
If the 00's a so lame, then the 90s are not really great, they just suck less then! :3

Neonshot

Aug 8, 2011
Better / more diverse music
Internet connection measured in Mb's (or gig's if your lucky)
Social media
Independent publishing and media

Your right the 90's where way better then the 00's!

OH WAI.....

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
Does today's music and television really "suck"? Or is it just the popular stuff? Yeah, more nostalgia, not saying modern times don't suck, but things were probably lame in the 90's too...
Yes, there does seem to be a bit of nostalgia whenever someone looks back at a past time period. Also, I would have to agree with your statement on things probably being lame in the 90s too. People tend to remember only the good parts of any decade and forget the bad. The present works differently because people are seeing all of it at one time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sure you do make some good points but none the less we are here right now and we cannot turn back the time. Embrace what tomorrow bring to us with open arms. Sure I like the past but it isn't all that great (e.g. bad games like Superman 64 and etc) and there are still good stuff in this preent day like eg the Marvel films.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
The 90s are only great due to the nostalgia factor.
Besides, it depends on when you grew up. I always hear "the 70s were the last great decade" "the 80s were the last great decade," etc. But that's only because that's the time period these people saying it grew up in.

There is something good and something terrible with every decade. I'll just leave it at that.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I think it was because I was a kid and there were a whole bunch of kid stuff that kept ones innocence. Now, there are 10-year-olds with their cell phones and Facebooks, and there's not much to be a kid with, but I could be wrong.

The 90s and their cheesy commercials and shows, and colorful, simplistic toys and games. I can't really stand to watch, or play them anymore. It was just a pretty good childhood.

Arjen Ab

Jul 9, 2011
The reason any decade looks good as kids is because we remember the good things from those days and don't remember the bad things.
For example when Prue from beverly hills (or whatever her char was called) liked sex. Parents protested so much that she had to regret it a few episodes later (got that one from my gf who isnt her so cant ask the char name)
And let's not forget it's other serie made for teens beverly hills teens which was awfull(that one I did watch myself once or twice).
So even then people interfered with "progress" in free television.
The Looney tunes and walt disney had cartoons banned like the famous donald as a nazi or altered like popeye being a tattle tale. So the censor although changed were always there.
The truth is for every looney tunes, warner brothers and Phineas and ferbs or even My little pony there are always a captain N, Teen, flapjack or Dinozaurs.

And if you like one I said was bad or vice versa remember my personal motto ... are just like people every person is different

... is blanks so in this case humans

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
well it was pretty good for me even my mother agrees but it was only good for you if you were a KID at the time it would probably be the same as now for any adults at the time

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
And the music, don't even get me started. N*Sync, Tori Amos, Michael Bolton, CHER, Kenny Chesney.

Fucking hell, the music in the 90s was shit, even worse than the 80s.
It really was. Someone was asking earlier what the defining musical style of the 90s was. It was bubblegum pop -- and I don't mean the kind of stuff that Lady GaGa is putting out. I mean the pop stars were a bunch of teenagers who danced and lip synced to a pre-recorded track, and that's what they were famous for. Not for singing, for dancing.

And to prove that it wasn't just something they did for the videos,

Also, it wasn't like it is today, where the Pop stars sell a lot of records but there's a lot of other mainstream genres. No, from about 1996 to about 2003, this is what was popular, period. The early 90s had grunge, sure, but that was a pretty short lived fad, and not really the defining movement of the 90s so much as the capstone on the 80s. We had pop punk like Green Day, but that was mostly popular with middle and high school kids who were too young to have grown up on either grunge or real punk. Stuff like the Red hot Chilli Peppers, who constantly get trotted out by kids who weren't born in the 90s as examples of why the music was awesome, just weren't all that popular. The good stuff was underground, and since we didn't have youtube, and only had limited .mp3 sharing, underground was pretty far underground back then.

That said, 90's TV was awesome, and not just because the cartoons were made by people who wanted to entertain both kids and their parents; we had tons of sci fi shows, plenty of fantasy, and instead of reality shows, there were re-runs of the best tv series (mostly sitcoms) going all the way back to the 50s, as opposed to today, where the re-runs only go back to the 80s, with the exception of the occasional showing of Star Trek.

When you've got four Star Trek shows constantly on the air either in re-runs or with new episodes, plus shows like Andromeda, Stargate SG-1, Farscape, and Babylon 5, to say nothing of shows like Hercules, Xena, and the lesser action shows like Beast Master and that Conan the Barbarian series, you can start to understand why the TV of the decade is remembered so fondly by geeks. What have we got on TV today? Reruns of Maybe one or two of those Star Trek shows, on only a couple of channels, plus Doctor Who (which was still running in reruns on PBS through the 90s) and a few mediocre shows like Eureka, with absolutely no fantasy series. The cartoon situation is so bad that when My Little Pony was reimagined as something in the vein of a middle of the road cartoon from the 90s, it was seen as the second coming of Animaniacs, and it gained legions of fans overnight. Now, I like the show, but it's not as good as Animaniacs. It's more like Rugrats or something; a really good show, but not the best of the best[footnote]Rugrats actually was a really good show for the first few seasons. Unfortunately, Nickelodeon's management didn't like the direction the original team was taking it, so they fired and replaced them around the time the first movie came out. That's why people who grew up watching it noticed a change in quality around the time they introduced Baby Dill; executive meddling made it into a very different show, aimed at a pre-school demographic instead of elementary and middle school kids and their parents.[/footnote].

Thus far, I haven't gone into just how depressing TV has been for the last ten years or so. Suffice it to say that in the 90's, science fiction was allowed to believe that there was good in humanity, and to be hopeful about the future, and fantasy was allowed to be fun. On the rare occasion that something went for dark and gritty, there were still occasional light moments that kept things from getting too depressing. I knew the 90s were dead when I saw Captain Archer torturing an enemy scientist on Star Trek Enterprise. If the show had come out in the 90s, it would have been a lesson about how torture never worked -- in fact, TNG did a story exactly to that effect. However, since it came out post-9/11, if there was a lesson at all, it was that extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures, and torture could occasionally be justified. I know Gene Roddenberry must start spinning in his grave every time that episode runs.

TLDR
So, to conclude, the 90's were a decade of terrible music, but great TV -- at least for geeks. I challenge anyone claiming that it's just nostalgia to go back and actually watch some of those series. I have, and they really do hold up, with most of the cartoons even being better as an adult, because of all the parental bonuses. Modern TV is just lacking something that the 90s had in spades.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
What? You're measuring greatness through film ratings. What. The. Fuck.

Think of all the awesome shit that we have now, like the more widespread use of the internet. We have all kinds of crazy shit that we didn't have in the 90's. Don't be such a wally.

For me anyway, the 00's have been the best decade. It's the decade that:
I first got drunk in
I lost my virginity in
I learnt to drive in
I passed my GCSEs and A levels in

So yeah. I suppose I was born in 1991 so it would be fucking weird if half that stuff happened in the 90's.

Jun 11, 2008
RussetRanger said:
Glademaster said:
chaosyoshimage said:
Does today's music and television really "suck"? Or is it just the popular stuff? Yeah, more nostalgia, not saying modern times don't suck, but things were probably lame in the 90's too...
There are shit bands every decade thank god there is no more S Club 7.
Starland Vocal Band, anyone? Does that make the 1970s redundant?
I didn't say S Club 7 made any decade redundant and I even said every decade has their shit bands and at least they tend to stay there. So no Starland Vocal Band does not make the 70s redundant neither does S Club 7 make the 90s/00s redundant.

Dec 27, 2010
DarthScorpio11 said:
don't you remember the 90s? things were anythinb but lame. It was kid heaven
Yeah, and plenty of people who grew up in the 80s would say the same, while saying the 90s sucked, while I would probably say the same about the 00s if I was an idiot. The only reason you think the 90s were better for children is because you were a child then. Things aimed at kids of a later generation all tend to seem shit when you're adult. These things are entirely subjective, which is why making a big sweeping statement like your's and the OP's without mentioning it's just your opinion, not fact, comes across as abit arrogant.