The 90s Was The Last Great Decade

Feb 9, 2011
I will say we're much more uptight and offended by, well, everything, but I don't think I'd be so quick as to say the 1990s were the best ever. I mean, that decade did give us Freakazoid, but then again, I like a lot more about the present then I did the past.

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
Going off on a short tangent here, but...
I remember a time when cartoons were edgy and creative, when watching the news involved something other then hearing about terrorism or hate, when TLC was the LEARNING channel, when MTV actually had music, a time when childrens programming involved ghost stories and scary movies, when the History channel wasn't full of alien conspiracies and rodeo competitions, a time when shark week was FUCKING SHARK WEEK, a time when 'cash cab' wasn't an intellectual show, and time when I was frequently reminded to spade and neuter my pets........ -emotional breakdown-

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
DarthScorpio11 said:
rt052192 said:
love me some 90s. What I really dislike about the first decade of the new millennium was the lack of any stand-out "decade known bands". You know kinda like how the 80s was known for hair metal and catchy electronic kinda beats or how the 90s was really alternative/grungy and had some really good rap/hip hop. But what is the new decade known for? Nu-metal? Metalcore? please not crabcore....

time will tell
Well, i'm 21, so i was a teen in the 00s. Pretty much as far as rock goes Green Day pretty much became extremely popular when i was in high school with American Idiot. I know they're an older band, but it was a pretty iconic album of the decade. Eminem, Kanye West also are some pretty big decade music stars
Shame that American Idiot is what Green Day will be remembered for. I like Dookie so much better, but I guess musically American Idiot was superior.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
I was so expecting this to be a thread of a prepubescent teen fapping to Nirvana, and for not being that, I will give OP A cookie.

Its not that I agree with you, my expectations were just soooooo low when I entered this thread.

Can I just say my universal opinion to all of these threads dealing with decades. *ahem* ALL DECADES SUCK AND THE ONLY REASON ANY DECADE DOESN'T SUCK IS THE VERY MINUTE DETAILS YOU CAN COME UP WITH THAT AT ANY TIME DIDN'T MATTER AS MUCH AS YOU THINK THEY DID, SERIOUSLY, BEETLES WERE A BIG DEAL, THEY WEREN'T THE END ALL BE ALL OF HAPPINESS AT THE TIME, THE AMOUNT OF ENJOYMENT YOU GET OUT OF ANY DECADE, GIVEN THE CHOICE TO LIVE IN IT, IS ALL UP TO YOU, SO STOP COMPARING THEM.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Lies I was a kid all through the 90's and some of it was good but some ofit was lame some of the music and films are terrible just as it is now and the 80s and the 70 have their terrible and awesome moments too. It's all nostalgia to when you were a carefree kid.

The 90's gave us the spice girls, britney spears, Battlefield Earth was made in the 90's, skousers (skirt over trousers, pogs which are not as awesome on reflection.

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
Stop watching things for kids and start viewing adult stuff. Or at least stop watching stuff that's bad and start looking for good things. Simple, right?

If digital medias still prove too placid for your sophisticated tastes, start reading books. The power of your own imagination would be the fuel to give life to the pretty damn disturbing content in some novels.

If all else fails, you could always just become one of those newfangled "retro-hipsters" that everyone finds a killjoy.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
i'm pretty sure there were a few 'letters to the editor' pages in 1910 filled with similar sentiment about the 1890's, what with all that newfangled silliness like cars and women voting.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Remember kids; greatness is measured by how much violence you can portray in media being consumed by children.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Speed is rated R? When did this happen?

I personally though tthis decade was really good for music (not the pop crap you hear on the radio)

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
Well, compared to what? The 2000's? Calling something great just because it narrowly beats it's only competitor who happens to be like a blind, obese child doesn't mean that it qualifies for greatness.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
mental_looney said:
pogs which are not as awesome on reflection.
i still play with my massive pog collection... i remember getting around 9000 or so pogs so i could say when asked how many i have.... "OOOVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!"
cause i'm geeky like that

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
yes, we all love the decade we were kids and hate the decade we were teens and from then on we are afloat on a cloud snobbish detachedness now get over it.

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
Keep in mind that there was no 4chan, Escapist, essentially no Internets, no e-sports to speak of... sure, the popular culture got worse, I agree with that - but overall things got better. If only due to Internet becoming sufficiently widespread.

JoJo Bizzaro 7

Mar 7, 2010
The 90's sucked. In comparison to the earlier decades, the 80's and 70's, the 90's were wasted years. Think about it; The sexual revolution of the 70's! The uproarious nightlife of the 80's! The "no one offend anyone or we'll sue" movement of the 90's. Seriously, the 90's were when all that nonsense really hit the fan.
I feel like I'm rambling... I do that sometimes. I hope I relayed at least one coherent thought.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Ah, rose colored glasses, if only I could make money off of them.

Basically, the past sucked just as bad as now, and now sucks just as bad as the past. Accept it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I blame Janet Jackson and Terrorism for 00's being the way they were.

I remember a time when teletoon(Cartoon Network) used to have good shows and didn't play live action movies all weekend... it's a shadow of it's former self now.

Volkov said:
Keep in mind that there was no 4chan, Escapist, essentially no Internets, no e-sports to speak of... sure, the popular culture got worse, I agree with that - but overall things got better. If only due to Internet becoming sufficiently widespread.
I had a pretty good time with Diablo and Starcraft online, even with the 56k connection.

and the most intrusive ads on the internet were animated banners... popups came near the end of the decade too though, as I recall.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Ah yes, the Xtreme decade. Edginess for its own sake, when it wasn't just to cash in on the current trend, with the only real substance in the few, scattered gems among the dross.

Frankly, I consider the idea of the 00's not having any defining "thing" to have been a good thing.