The artist in thee

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
2,913
0
0
Quantum Roberts said:
I LOVE EEEET! Love the Shocker. Shame bout the game. I wouldve played.
Thanks for that. Its always nice to get some positive feedback. Its unfortunate about the game. Moreso about the Iron Ninja.

I like your concept art, I look forward to seeing more in depth drawings for the project. The developed drawing on the third frame shows you've got some style and I'd love to see some longer sketches and finished drawings. I'm interested to know what the project is. Comic? Animation? Drawing series? Tell us; I don't speak for everyone but I love to hear about people's projects.
samaritan.squirrel said:
These are amazing.
Thanks to you too. Its great to hear it when your work is appreciated.

That said, never hold back. When you feel like I did something wrong I love hearing what it was so I know what I can do better next time. These being quick drawings should have no bearing on whether or not they should be improved upon in certain ways.

Archemetis said:
I got just finished working what's gonna be a series of pictures in what I'm calling the "Adventure" series.
Basically, I take my regular characters and make them up into RPG style adventure characters.
This is the one of my comic persona:
Can you tell I like Green yet?

This is also just a really good excuse to REALLY break in my Intuos4 :p
I'm not gonna complain, I love using it.
Always nice to see some new work from you. Well done again. You have a great way of making really clean lines in your drawings: something I'm completely incapable of doing (I assume there's a simple trick I just haven't learned yet being self-taught in the photoshoppy ways and all). Its nice to work with a color you really love but don't be afraid to explore new color territory. That may just be me, I'm one of those sappy "I love every color, even baby-shit brown has its place" kind of people. Green is great but its always nice to see some exploration in that area. Just bringing a new palette to the plate is a great way to expand your repertoire in a way that's simple and that doesn't change your art in a way which is overly drastic.

Thanks for your time guys,
Fightgarr.
And Labyrinth, when do we get some new drawings from you?
 

The Salty Vulcan

New member
Jun 28, 2009
2,444
0
0
Fightgarr said:
I like your concept art, I look forward to seeing more in depth drawings for the project. The developed drawing on the third frame shows you've got some style and I'd love to see some longer sketches and finished drawings. I'm interested to know what the project is. Comic? Animation? Drawing series? Tell us; I don't speak for everyone but I love to hear about people's projects.
Thanks. The project was originally planned to be an animated movie but after some responses from these parts I decided to make into a series. Still needs work though. Its gonna involve aliens and robots and war and stuff!


Archemetis said:
I got just finished working what's gonna be a series of pictures in what I'm calling the "Adventure" series.
Basically, I take my regular characters and make them up into RPG style adventure characters.
This is the one of my comic persona:
Can you tell I like Green yet?
Wow! Your definitely among my favourite artists now. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.
 

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
2,089
0
0
Fightgarr said:
Quantum Roberts said:
I LOVE EEEET! Love the Shocker. Shame bout the game. I wouldve played.
Thanks for that. Its always nice to get some positive feedback. Its unfortunate about the game. Moreso about the Iron Ninja.

I like your concept art, I look forward to seeing more in depth drawings for the project. The developed drawing on the third frame shows you've got some style and I'd love to see some longer sketches and finished drawings. I'm interested to know what the project is. Comic? Animation? Drawing series? Tell us; I don't speak for everyone but I love to hear about people's projects.
samaritan.squirrel said:
These are amazing.
Thanks to you too. Its great to hear it when your work is appreciated.

That said, never hold back. When you feel like I did something wrong I love hearing what it was so I know what I can do better next time. These being quick drawings should have no bearing on whether or not they should be improved upon in certain ways.

Archemetis said:
I got just finished working what's gonna be a series of pictures in what I'm calling the "Adventure" series.
Basically, I take my regular characters and make them up into RPG style adventure characters.
This is the one of my comic persona:
Can you tell I like Green yet?

This is also just a really good excuse to REALLY break in my Intuos4 :p
I'm not gonna complain, I love using it.
Always nice to see some new work from you. Well done again. You have a great way of making really clean lines in your drawings: something I'm completely incapable of doing (I assume there's a simple trick I just haven't learned yet being self-taught in the photoshoppy ways and all). Its nice to work with a color you really love but don't be afraid to explore new color territory. That may just be me, I'm one of those sappy "I love every color, even baby-shit brown has its place" kind of people. Green is great but its always nice to see some exploration in that area. Just bringing a new palette to the plate is a great way to expand your repertoire in a way that's simple and that doesn't change your art in a way which is overly drastic.

Thanks for your time guys,
Fightgarr.
And Labyrinth, when do we get some new drawings from you?
Yeah, I'll admit, my love of the colour green is a bit over the top, I would've gone for a more dusty colour had this not been a re-vamp of a previous picture.

As for the lines, it's no trick, just a steady hand, a graphics tablet and the brush tool...
Although, yeah it did take me a ton of practise to get my lines looking like that.
 

Fanboy

New member
Oct 20, 2008
831
0
0
I haven't created any artwork in a while, but here's something I've been working on today.


It turned out alright, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it. I figured I should post it anyways so I can move on to something different.

Edit: Alright, posted an updated version. Moving on now.
 

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
2,089
0
0
Taking what Fightgarr said into consideration I started hunting around in my PSD. folder looking for the photoshop file for my "Adventure G" picture and decided to quickly re-imagine the colour scheme, basically all I did was change it to a dusty shade of brown like I said I wanted to make it.

As you might be able to tell I didn't entirely ditch the green, I just decided to move it around and make it less of a prominant feature of the image.

As a follow on the the "adventure" series I'm doing on Deviantart at the moment
http://Teh-G-man.deviantart.com

This is the second image to feature in the series.

It's a very different kind of image from me, mainly because it's a character I'm not that used to drawing yet, as well as my slight awkwardness about drawing he female form (I used to be brilliant at it, now I can't do it save my life).
It's not the strongest image I've ever made, which means i'll probably be revisiting it at some point after the others are done.

There's an abundance of blue, but honestly there is a reason for that(It's all modeled on the colour scheme of what she wears anyway), which is why I tried to mix it up with the goldy-yellowy colours.
 

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
2,913
0
0
Fanboy said:
I haven't created any artwork in a while, but here's something I've been working on today.


It turned out alright, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it. I figured I should post it anyways so I can move on to something different.
I definitely like this. Its got a very... well I don't want to say illustrative because that's a bit of a bullshitty word. But its definitely narrative (not that that's much better that illustrative). I can imagine this being in a pictoral story. The shoe seems a tad bit too small and certain things like the tree roots could use some work but overall its got a great feel and for the most part was very well executed.
Archemetis said:
Snipperino
Thanks for taking my advice into consideration (its frequently ignored by fellow artists who feel they are in the right no matter the situation), I like the dusty colors, you appear to be very good at establishing a solid colour palette. The second drawing is also strong in terms of palette but some things, like the staff, feel a bit flat. I can tell you're trying new things and that's something I like to see. I look forward to more updates on this little series.
Oh man... I love this thread.
 

Fanboy

New member
Oct 20, 2008
831
0
0
Fightgarr said:
I definitely like this. Its got a very... well I don't want to say illustrative because that's a bit of a bullshitty word. But its definitely narrative (not that that's much better that illustrative). I can imagine this being in a pictoral story. The shoe seems a tad bit too small and certain things like the tree roots could use some work but overall its got a great feel and for the most part was very well executed.
Thanks for the helpful feedback Fightgarr. The shoe fits the rest of the picture now, also I worked on the roots a tad and I think they look slightly better. I agree it is a bit rough and it could use more detail in certain areas, though I'm not going to spend much more time working on this one just yet. I'll re-post it in a bit.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond; I appreciate it.
 

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
2,913
0
0
Fanboy said:
Thanks for the helpful feedback Fightgarr. The shoe fits the rest of the picture now, also I worked on the roots a tad and I think they look slightly better. I agree it is a bit rough and it could use more detail in certain areas, though I'm not going to spend much more time working on this one just yet. I'll re-post it in a bit.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond; I appreciate it.
Hey, thanks for posting in this thread, I love this thread. Hell, I'm really just trying to get down the basics of drawing with a tablet as opposed to drawing on paper (or mylars right now) so this thread is helpful to me, so I may as well channel those good vibes back into the thread. I look forward to the new post...
...fellow Simon.
 

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
2,089
0
0
Just thought I'd drop by and show you all the first stage of my next picture, I wasn't originaly gonna go with this design, but after I inked it while slightly drunk with my sharpie I just started to like it more and more, So i'll probably sitck with the design, maybe alter it a bit in Photoshop.


Oh while I'm here, I followed even more of Fightgarr's brilliant advice and altered Elle's staff in the last picture to look less flat, I would post it up but it's such a minimal change it'd just be a waste of time really.
 

annoyinglizardvoice

New member
Apr 29, 2009
1,024
0
0
My drawing isn't too good, but I'm pretty good at miniature painting. I've also done some weird photo work. Most of my stuff is on dA at:
http://annoyinglizardvoice.deviantart.com
 

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
2,089
0
0
Alright! I updated with the first stage sketch version of it!
And now you get to see the final coloured version!

Feast your eyes!


I was originally gonna make him a beserker, considering he IS a bear (It's hard to tell with the silver furr and the hood, but he is) But I thought it's just too much of a typical move "Make the big guy a beserker!" So instead I opted to make him an assassin.

Don't try and think too much about his weapons, just keep in mind though, that it's all supported by a system of tendons.

Besides that I also went for a different shading style (using the inking for shading aswell) I figured it'd help set the mood/style a bit more.
 

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
2,913
0
0
Archemetis said:
Alright! I updated with the first stage sketch version of it!
And now you get to see the final coloured version!

Feast your eyes!


I was originally gonna make him a beserker, considering he IS a bear (It's hard to tell with the silver furr and the hood, but he is) But I thought it's just too much of a typical move "Make the big guy a beserker!" So instead I opted to make him an assassin.

Don't try and think too much about his weapons, just keep in mind though, that it's all supported by a system of tendons.

Besides that I also went for a different shading style (using the inking for shading aswell) I figured it'd help set the mood/style a bit more.
I only have one complaint. The legs look a little awkward. There's just something a little bit off about the length and positioning of them. I feel like the one that's in front should be further back and vice versa.
BEAR POWER!
 

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
2,089
0
0
Fightgarr said:
Archemetis said:
Alright! I updated with the first stage sketch version of it!
And now you get to see the final coloured version!

Feast your eyes!


I was originally gonna make him a beserker, considering he IS a bear (It's hard to tell with the silver furr and the hood, but he is) But I thought it's just too much of a typical move "Make the big guy a beserker!" So instead I opted to make him an assassin.

Don't try and think too much about his weapons, just keep in mind though, that it's all supported by a system of tendons.

Besides that I also went for a different shading style (using the inking for shading aswell) I figured it'd help set the mood/style a bit more.
I only have one complaint. The legs look a little awkward. There's just something a little bit off about the length and positioning of them. I feel like the one that's in front should be further back and vice versa.
BEAR POWER!
I do believe you might have a point there, the perspective does seem a little off with his legs...
I mean the length was just a weird little nod to the idea that bears back legs aren't very long, but the awkwardness with the perspective is definately there.

I'll see what I do about fixing that.

EDIT:
 

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
2,089
0
0
berethond said:
Archemetis said:
EDIT:
But now he just looks off-balance, kind of.
He's leaning back, Raising arm, kinda like blocking, I don't bother making people just stand still in my pictures, they have to be doing something.
So he's either stepping back because he's bracing for an impact or he's leaning back because he's gonna snap back with his extend-o-claw... thing.

It was only a quick fix, like a literal, "cut it off make it smaller, put it in place" jobby.

If I had enough time I'd really fix it, but for me that works.
 

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
2,617
0
0
Here's a new one I'm pretty proud of:
ViolentlyHappy91 took the original photo that I got the pose from.
 

Berethond

New member
Nov 8, 2008
6,474
0
0
Archemetis said:
berethond said:
Archemetis said:
EDIT:
But now he just looks off-balance, kind of.
He's leaning back, Raising arm, kinda like blocking, I don't bother making people just stand still in my pictures, they have to be doing something.
So he's either stepping back because he's bracing for an impact or he's leaning back because he's gonna snap back with his extend-o-claw... thing.

It was only a quick fix, like a literal, "cut it off make it smaller, put it in place" jobby.

If I had enough time I'd really fix it, but for me that works.
Okay.
Whatever works for you. I'll just pretend he's recoiling in fear or something, maybe.
 

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
2,089
0
0
berethond said:
Archemetis said:
berethond said:
Archemetis said:
EDIT:
But now he just looks off-balance, kind of.
He's leaning back, Raising arm, kinda like blocking, I don't bother making people just stand still in my pictures, they have to be doing something.
So he's either stepping back because he's bracing for an impact or he's leaning back because he's gonna snap back with his extend-o-claw... thing.

It was only a quick fix, like a literal, "cut it off make it smaller, put it in place" jobby.

If I had enough time I'd really fix it, but for me that works.
Okay.
Whatever works for you. I'll just pretend he's recoiling in fear or something, maybe.
It's up for interpretation, hell you could even say he genuinely lost his balance. xD
 

ragamuffingirl

New member
Jun 29, 2009
80
0
0
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/alittlesparrow/Picture003-1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/alittlesparrow/Picture002.jpg


A Couple of things I did.