The Ashlanders - Chapter 6: The Blind Man's Last Gambit (Closed, Started)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"Axel, I'll take care of you. And you'll take care of me."

Axel nodded and gave Lilith's hand a brief squeeze, "I'll be yer knight n' shinin' armor, Lily." Though she couldn't see it, Lilith could tell he was wearing a weak smile under his mask.

Silence permeated the cabin for a few minutes before Sprout spoke up again, "I saw the way y'all were talkn'. The way Ma' looked at me before we left, I..." His eyes downcast, Sprout sighed. "Ever'one thinks'a her as this tough, unstoppable badass, ya' know? On the inside, she ain't like that at all though." His eyes found their way back on the horizon. "She's gotta strong arm but a weak heart. I don' blame 'er fer not telln' me up front. I could already tell she was in pain jus' by lookn' at 'er."

Though he was acting brave, it was clear to Lilith he wasn't all there. The idea of never returning was proving to be a hard pill to swallow.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

As Pixie made her way back to the bridge she spotted Ruffles walking the same direction down the corridor. She almost hadn't said anything as she brushed by, but decided to speak up at the last moment, "You ready fer this, Jake? I'm surprised you haven't questioned me about sendn' you away from the ship."

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"You ready fer this, Jake? I'm surprised you haven't questioned me about sendn' you away from the ship."

Ruffles did not slow down, but shrugged as he passed the captain by. "Every time you've sent me away from the ship before, you've not really used it for anything major while I was gone. Just kinda assumed that's the case now. Of course if ya do plan on using her for some job while I'm away, that there's potentially retarded."

Dec 14, 2009
"She's gotta strong arm but a weak heart. I don' blame 'er fer not telln' me up front. I could already tell she was in pain jus' by lookn' at 'er."

Lilith thought for a few moments, "More than you know, Axel." She smiled slightly, pulling her goggles back down.

"More than you know."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"Every time you've sent me away from the ship before, you've not really used it for anything major while I was gone. Just kinda assumed that's the case now. Of course if ya do plan on using her for some job while I'm away, that there's potentially retarded."

Pixie crossed her arms and leaned against the bulkhead, "Hold up, Jake." Ruffles stopped, but didn't turn to face her. "To set yer mind at ease, no, I don' plan to use the Maiden fer anythin' other than a really big paperweight while yer gone. That be'n said, I reckon yer mad at me... pissed even. I don' want you goin' out there, riskn' yer neck against the banditos fer somethin' you don' believe in. If you have doubts I wanna hear 'em."

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Another long period of silence followed their last exchange. Still kind of down, Sprout knew just the thing to cheer the both of them up, "We still gotta ways ta' go. Got any stories I ain't heard yet? 'Bout Feroxi, maybe?"

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Aesop sat down against a wall with his head in his hands for longer than he could think of. The past few days he had barely made any contact with anyone. Just food, workout, cigars, punching walls and bad dreams. He was sure people would think he was unstable more than usual and that entrusting him to kill a rat may not be the best idea. This was yet another day that he questioned why he was on the ship, except now he didn't have the security that it was because it was where he was needed, where it was safe and where he could help people. Speaking to Lillith and the way she had acted had hurt him, she looked terrified Meredith was going to keep hurting her, he never thought the Captain capable of such a thing to someone she loved so much. What if she did that to the rest of them? To Sprout even? 'NO! No, thats too far... or is it? Can it really be a stretch after what she did?' He pounded the ground hard before standing up. He'd been scared to talk to her the past few days, would it be best to avoid the questions again before leaving or would he finally do what was needed. Rubbing his eyes he began walking again when as he turned a corner he saw Ruffles and heard Meredith's voice behind him.

"I reckon yer mad at me... pissed even. I don' want you goin' out there, riskn' yer neck against the banditos fer somethin' you don' believe in. If you have doubts I wanna hear 'em."

Somethin' you don' believe in.

Something you don't believe in.

Something you don't...

"You wanna hear some doubts Captain?" Aesop yelled down the hall, the voice in his head was dead as he stormed towards her. "I have some fucking doubts. I'm doubting why the fuck I'm even here." He disrespectfully got right up into Pixie's face as his own flared with anger. "When you found me I was no better than any other scummy piece of shit out there, stealing water from a cripple? I've thought about drowning myself in Valhalla just for even considering it, but you stopped me, you saved him and I begged you I FUCKING BEGGED YOU TO SAVE ME TOO! Everything after that turns into kind of a blur after I almost did drown myself in valhalla, but there's one thing I still don't know. Why did you bring me here? I'm a piece o' shit and I know it," his accent was beginning to slip, "but e'rry time I asked why I'm here you gave me a joke an' sent me away happy. WELL RIGHT NOW I'M NOT HAPPY! Right now I'm wondering why I'm here when the same person that stopped me from being a thug beat the shit out of the most important girl in her life? Did I get saved by a thug too?"

Any other time he would regret saying all of this, right now the filter between his brain and mouth was well and truly gone.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Pixie maintained her lax posture, staring him down without a hint of emotion as he spilled his guts all over her boots. Once he was done, she gave Ruffles one quick glance before looking into the eyes of the man who'd invaded her personal space. Her words were plain, "We're all thugs, Aesop. I reckon y'all spoke ta' Lilith 'bout ar' lil' encounter? Yeah? Well, if yer comin' at me like this she obviously didn' give you the whole story. Ya' wanna hear it?"

Her gaze was cold.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
"Ya' wanna hear it?"

Tears beginning to well up in his eyes Aesop said coldly "Yes. Please. Captain."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"Yes. Please. Captain."

Pixie was still for a moment. Then suddenly, her passive disposition shifted to that of wrath. Grabbing Aesop by the collar, she lifted him up, spun her body around and slammed him against the bulkhead she'd been leaning on. She came in close, so close in fact, he could feel her breath on his face, "TOO FUCKN' BAD, AESOP! There are thin's about my past I'd rather ferget, but I trust Lilith enough... no, I LOVE Lilith enough to share 'em! You? YOU, ON THE OTHER HAND DON' MEAN SHIT TO ME!"

Pixie was trembling, "I jus' sent the two people I love the most in this world away fer their own safety, SO I'M SORRY IF I'M A LIL' EMOTIONAL RIGHT NOW, OKAY!?" It was taking everything she had not to repeat what she'd done to Lilith. She couldn't afford to make the same mistake. Still holding him against the wall, her breathing slowed. "I sent 'em away 'cause there's somethin' comin' our way. Somethin' I needed ta' protect them from."

It felt as if she was staring straight through his eyes and down into his very soul, "Now tell me, Aesop. I need ta' know if I can count on you. 'Cause if I can't yer gonna have ta' go. At this point it's do 'r die, Aesop. 'R ya' gonna step up or keep runnin' away from yer fears like'a *****?" Her grip loosened, but he wasn't released quite yet.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Aesop had just done the dumbest thing in his entire life. Pixie now had him by the collar and against the bulkhead of the ship, staring deep into him like he was nothing, he could feel her breath on his face. "TOO FUCKN' BAD, AESOP! There are thin's about my past I'd rather ferget, but I trust Lilith enough... no, I LOVE Lilith enough to share 'em! You? YOU, ON THE OTHER HAND DON' MEAN SHIT TO ME!"

That cut deep. Deeper than anything had cut him in a long time. As deep as...

"I jus' sent the two people I love the most in this world away fer their own safety, SO I'M SORRY IF I'M A LIL' EMOTIONAL RIGHT NOW, OKAY!?"

'Sent them away? What?'

"I sent 'em away 'cause there's somethin' comin' our way. Somethin' I needed ta' protect them from."

Instantly he was regretting what she had done, he had forgotten that she had beaten Lillith so badly and everything else was grabbing at his mind at once with dirty hands, as Meredith stared through his eyes and down to the soul he considered worthless. "Now tell me, Aesop. I need ta' know if I can count on you. 'Cause if I can't yer gonna have ta' go. At this point it's do 'r die, Aesop. 'R ya' gonna step up or keep runnin' away from yer fears like'a *****?" Her grip loosened, but he wasn't released quite yet.

With the fire in his eyes gone he just looked awestruck, almost childlike, pathetic she might even think. "What do you mean you sent them away?" It was the only thing he could ask.
=======================================================================
"Children? Children gather round, c'mon now gather round." Austin was standing atop the RV while his children gathered around it, him in view as they looked to him like a god. "Now Heath here has done a mighty fine job, mighty fine. He went to go see one 'Dio Basilio,'" he pronounced each syllable slowly, "and he got himself a contract. But his work isn't just his work alone." He stopped and paced back and forth along the top of the RV, "Its OUR work too, all of ours. Family helpes family out. Now now I know what you are thinking," he raised his hands with the palms facing the air like they were weights, "we got work from a noble?" the crowd began to boo, "AND a pretender too!" his crowd of children erupted in anger and rage, howling and shouting, making everyone nearby go back into the buildings they were in out of fear of the large gang. "QUIET!" They instantly silenced. "Now don't you worry we will take care of this pretender, but first we need to get some money out of him, and not just that... a ship. A bona fide airship! Soaring the skies of this petty Rock, think about that. Think of that. Your father soaring the airwaves and looking down upon his children, you're brothers and sisters, protecting you for all eternity." They looked up to him with childlike glee and happiness, their wishes being fulfilled upon his every word.

"We will take his work. We will take his money. And we will kill the Iron Maidens and take their ship-lest their be some unfortunate sons or daughters of mine that need saving. We will take their ship and then once we are done..." he closed his eyes and looked to the ground for a moment longer than the children were comfortable with before he spoke again. This time cold and harsh, with much less optimism than before.

"And then we will find your mother... and she will come back to us. But only after those who she made suffer are finally put in their place, and out of their, and our, misery." Slowly his children clapped and then began cheering for their father. He took it in gladly, his arms up wide to his sides as he embraced the love. "NOW!" He yelled over the sounds of cheers, "You split into groups, you!" He pointed to one half of the group of children which included Heath, "I want you to spread out and find any information we can on the maidens, find bounty hunters, rats, information traders anything you can, you!" he pointed to the rest of the group, "find the rest of our family and bring them together, we'll need them all to do this. Those of you who have been with me in the RV the past week you stay with me. But first... lets get rid of all the pretenders in this town."

With a vicious roar the children ran amok through every building in the small town. Every man and woman over the age of thirty was brutally murdered, while the young ones were pulled away to become part of the family. Such was the way of things.

=====================================================
Alex stood outside the school of her young son with the other parents waiting for their children, making idle chit chat, talking about PTA meetings and even a small festival some of the adults were planning. Just as they could see the children leaving the doors a police officer came behind Alex and tapped on her shoulder. "Sheriff?"

"Yes?" she replied, moving away from the other parents as not to worry them.

"I've got some bad news, there was a sheriff killed by the Wilkes Vines in Star Dome."

Alex was visibly troubled, a fellow law man being killed is always a tragedy. "Cyrus, I met him once, what happened?"

"From what we've heard it was the Wilkes Vines, apparantly Payton Wilkes Vines was there personally."

"Jesus," she said, "do you know if he is anywhere near Yuteni?"

"Right now no, should we keep an eye on it?" he asked.

"Yes, don't make a move unless you know he is coming towards the city. Otherwise leave him alone. He's too powerful for us to piss him off, but if you suspect for even a second that he is coming to the city you keep eyes and guns on him at all times, and if he looks like he is going to attack I want him dead in seconds. We can't arrest someone like that, he dies if he comes near us."

The policeman nodded and left, "Sheriff."

"Hi mom," Young Austin said as he approached his mother, "what was that about?"

"Oh nothing baby, c'mon lets head home." She said calmly, patting him on the shoulder.

"Hey could one of my friends stay for dinner?" the young boy asked.

"Which one baby?" she replied.

"Stacy," he paused and whispered, "and please don't call me baby at school."

She chudkled and said "Sorry munchkin, and of course Stacy can come stay. Does my little boy have a girlfwiend?" she smirked.

"MOM!" he shouted and walked a few paces ahead.

"I'm just kidding baby." She laughed. He huffed and began walking faster. "Oh baby come on I was kidding." she jogged after him.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"What do you mean you sent them away?"

Pixie sighed, allowing Aesop to slip through her fingers as she withdrew, "They ain't comin' back. After they make the trade they're ta' disappear. Lay low n' try to find a decent livin' fer themselves. I can' have them get hurt. They're innocent, Aesop. They ain't like us, you understand?"

Pixie stepped back and looked to Ruffles. Her anger all but gone, she wore a defeated frown as she addressed the two of them, "Know that if y'all stay an' fight you may not get ta' see them again. I can' promise y'all will survive the storm that's comin' ar' way. But..."

She placed a comforting hand on Aesop's shoulder. "If y'all do stay I swear to you I'll do ever'thin' in my power ta' make you feel yer makin' a difference in this rotten world. From this point on we ain't just gonna be lookn' fer small opportunities to screw over the nobility... we're goin' ta' war against the system itself. I understand if y'all have reservations an' I won't be hurt if you chose ta' leave, but know I'm doin' this fer that girl and my boy. I'm doin' this so they have a better world ta' live in."

Again, she stared Aesop down, however it was not with contempt this time, "I'm willin' to lay my life on the line 'n more fer the two of 'em. What're you willin' ta' sacrifice, Aesop?"

Dogmatic99

Jun 24, 2012
"Actually, would you know what is to become of that boy? The Captain's I believe. She isn't sending him out there as well, is she?"

Of course she asks after Axel. Straight out the gate with the high risk questions, this day was just getting better and better. Oh screw it the girl can handle it. It wasn't like her stay here could get any worse anyway.

"He is going out there. Everyone pulls their weight." Florian put bluntly as he found himself a good spot and leaned against the wall with his arms folded.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Aesop listened to everything she had to say, hurt by all he had heard. The woman he had a crush on and the kid who he had as one of his best friends were gone. The amount of times he must have made them both feel uncomfortable with his freakouts and close calls with sobriety, he'd be surprised if he hadn't seemed skeevy to Lillith and crazy to Axel. Still he cared so much for them. Lillith was a symbol of even how fucked up everything can be all the time there can still not just be happiness, but fun and beauty and jokes that have you forgetting all of your troubles. And Axel... Sprout... he was a reminder of everything that he could have been. He was only a year older than the boy when he decided he would give up everything he knew and let grief envelop his entire life, drinking every oppurtunity he could and not caring who he hurt. But that was near the end of his drinking days, for 7 years straight he took every oppurtunity to kill any scumbag thugs he killed, before he himself succumbed and became one. When Pixie saved him from being a thug.

'But we are all thugs. I was saved by a thug. And this is a thug's life. But Goddammit we are different here.

She placed a comforting hand on Aesop's shoulder, his entire being shivering madly as she did as if a hand of god was touching him, comfort may have been the intention but he felt like he deserved to be judged. "If y'all do stay I swear to you I'll do ever'thin' in my power ta' make you fell yer makin' a difference in this rotten world." His head perked up as she said that. "From this point on we ain't just gonna be lookn' fer small opportunities to screw over the nobility... we're goin' ta' war against the system itself. I understand if y'all have reservations an' I won't be hurt if you chose ta' leave, but know I'm doin' this fer that girl and my boy. I doin' this so they have a better world ta' live in."

Staring Aesop down once again, but not with contempt, she continued, "I'd willin' to lay my life on the line 'n more fer the two of 'em. What're you willin' ta' sacrifice, Aesop?"

Looking her deep in the eyes he said, "I've never been willing to sacrifice anything and you know that, I'm a piece of shit coward and I know it. But I'm willing to die for them. And for you, and for you Jake and Padre and even Warren and fucking Ricky. I know I'm worthless, but I'm willing to sacrifice everything I have for all of this."

He was caught somewhere between sadness, courageous, determined, inspired, depressed, unwelcome, left out, willed on, protective and suicidal. But he wasn't gonna fuck things up. Not again. Not again.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"I've never been willing to sacrifice anything and you know that, I'm a piece of shit coward and I know it. But I'm willing to die for them. And for you, and for you Jake and Padre and even Warren and fucking Ricky. I know I'm worthless, but I'm willing to sacrifice everything I have for all of this."

Pixie continued staring back at him, studying his distressed expressions. This was a man desperately struggling to find meaning in his life. After she'd lashed out at Lilith he wasn't just upset for a loved one, he was worried that everything he'd been fighting for up to this point was a lie. She'd corrected that it seemed, and she silently swore to herself there and then that she'd never let it happen again.

A few seconds passed before Pixie's stoic expression changed to that of a carefree smile, "Good. Make yer Captain proud out there, Aesop." She gave him a light, friendly shake on the shoulder before she turned to face Ruffles. "What 'bout you, Jake?"

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

"He is going out there. Everyone pulls their weight."

A look of surprise shone briefly on Elizabeth's face.

This should come as no surprise. He IS a bandit, after all.

She nodded, a sad acceptance washing over her before she spoke, "I hope the boy doesn't come to harm. I suppose he is partially responsible for my... current condition, but I can tell by the way he holds himself that... I don't know." She looked down at her feet, trying to find the words to describe her feelings. "He doesn't really look any different than any normal boy you'd see on the street. So how is it that... no offense, Father, but how is that such a boy can appear so good natured when in the company of such... foul rogues?"

She looked up at Florian and winced, "Please excuse me, Father. My injury has me a bit on edge. I suppose I am just a bit upset at the fact that such a boy is made to live this kind of life. How can your Captain sleep at night knowing she's turning her son into a murdering thief?"

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
Viola arrived just in the nick of time it seems, because, as she made it to near the apartment building, she could see Whiskey step out of the foyer, where she was met by four men suited up in Kevlar armour and equipped with assault rifles. They seem to have exchange a brief bit of chatter before getting into a sleek silver transport and driving off. Whilst Viola knew she could be rather quick, she had her work cut out on this occasion and followed the tyre tracks that the vehicle made.

After nearly losing them a couple of times amidst some of the more busier sections, Viola finally caught up with the vehicle; and found it parked near the grove that Whiskey mentioned the other day. Staying out of her direct line of sight, Viola spotted Whiskey sitting down and leaning against a rather tall fruit tree.

Looking around the area, Viola spotted a place to camp out in the form of a disused guard tower that was nearby. It would allow her a high vantage point for her rifle, it meant she could keep tabs on the exchange, and she was also mostly out of sight of everyone.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"They ain't comin' back. After they make the trade they're ta' disappear. Lay low n' try to find a decent livin' fer themselves. I can' have them get hurt."

That hit Ruffles like a slug in the gut. He just stood there, oblivious to Pixie and Aesop's conversation. Then he began to move off, gradually and quietly. Around the corner, he broke into a run, sprinting down the corridor. Vaguely behind him, he heard, "What 'bout you, Jake?" The Captain hadn't heard him leave.

He ignored it, and carried on running, until he was bursting through the doors to Lilith's room. There, on the table were a handful of his sodas, with a note balanced on them. Walking over to it, as though in a trance, he picked it up and read.

'Jake

Sorry.

Not about the sodas though, the only thing I regret is that I didn't take more. Also, I rearranged your tools on several occasions, that wasn't you going crazy like you thought, that was the sound of me laughing at you. You fucking clown.

<3

Lil

XXXXX
XXX
X

P.S. Warren drank the blue ones.

P.P.S. Please tell the others I'm sorry.'

He read it over and over, the words racing through his mind. Soon, he realized he wasn't even reading it, but reciting the whole thing over and over in his head with that damn genius memory of his. The note itself was crushed in his tight fist. Lilith, gone. And Sprout, too. He'd never gotten a real chance to say goodbye. Well... he had to Sprout, without knowing it. He sank to his knees and leaned forward, with his head against the edge of the table. He had no idea how long he was like that for.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ruffles was already on the opposite end of the hall by the time she addressed him, "Get yerself cleaned up n' ready to head out, Aesop. And..." She turned to face him with a look of concern. "Try not ta' be so down on yerself."

With that she left down the hallway, the same way Ruffles had.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Pixie followed Ruffles to his room to find him wallowing away in self-pity. She leaned against the door-frame and watched. He likely hadn't noticed her presence, so she let him stay there, alone with his thoughts. After a long time had passed she spoke up, "I'd've asked you ta' join 'em if I knew you'd go. Thin' is, I know this ship's always been more of'a mother ta' you than I have. I need yer expertise, now more'n ever, but if you wanna follow after 'em I won' stop you. It'd certainly make me feel better fer yers and their safety."

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"I'd've asked you ta' join 'em if I knew you'd go. Thin' is, I know this ship's always been more of'a mother ta' you than I have. I need yer expertise, now more'n ever, but if you wanna follow after 'em I won' stop you. It'd certainly make me feel better fer yers and their safety."

Ruffles turned and sat with his back to the table. "Jesus... if I left, I'd be the biggest asshole in the world. I'd have to take a second Crawler to catch up with them, and this ship'd run into trouble none of you could fix sooner or later. But shit... I don't know how they'll get by. The ransom money'll hold 'em for a while, but neither of them has any really marketable skills. Fuck..." he thumped his head forlornly against the table edge. When he opened his eyes, he locked onto Pixie's, with baffled expression. "Something's up that made you send 'em away. And that made you go outta line like you have been. I guess you filled in Lilith. So do I rate an explanation, or a body slam for asking?" There was no accusation or anger in his tone. Just distant shock.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"... But shit... I don't know how they'll get by. The ransom money'll hold 'em for a while, but neither of them has any really marketable skills. Fuck..."

Pixie shrugged, "Well..."

"Something's up that made you send 'em away. And that made you go outta line like you have been. I guess you filled in Lilith. So do I rate an explanation, or a body slam for asking?"

Pixie let out an exasperated sigh and cradled her head with the tips of her fingers. She wanted to tell him everything, but she couldn't. She couldn't let herself get lost in that place again. Now was not the time, "I'm sorry Jake, but I jus' can't. Not now... not before this mission." She looked at him longingly. "Trust me when I say it's somethin' that's warped me into the monster I am today. Somethin' I jus' can' relive right now."

After a brief pause she continued, "Maybe another time. Maybe when we have a chance ta' catch a breath, but not now. As fer Lilith and Sprout, well, I sent Cranston to watch out fer 'em. He'll stick 'round 'till they're well n' safe. Lilith's a tough gal n' I'm certain she's got what it takes to make somethin' of herself." She smirked. "An' Sprout? I reckon y'all're underestimaten' my boy. He may s'prise you."

Dec 14, 2009
"We still gotta ways ta' go. Got any stories I ain't heard yet? 'Bout Feroxi, maybe?"

Lilith smirked beneath her mask. "Kid, I have all the stories." She began to regale him with various stories throughout her life as a career criminal, but she made a special effort to only share the tales with hilarious shenanigans.

They both needed the laugh.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
"Good. Make yer Captain proud out there, Aesop." The Captain smiled. Aesop turned to Ruffles but he was gone, probably just as upset as he was. "Get yerself cleaned up n' ready to head out, Aesop. And..." She turned to face him with a look of concern. "Try not ta' be so down on yerself."

"Yeah..." he said quietly with a small wave as she left to chase after Ruffles. Slowly he pushed himself off of the wall and walked sombrely back to his room. Everything was packed up and ready to go.

"TOO FUCKN' BAD, AESOP! There are thin's about my past I'd rather ferget, but I trust Lilith enough... no, I LOVE Lilith enough to share 'em! You? YOU, ON THE OTHER HAND DON' MEAN SHIT TO ME!"

"Did she mean that? It was the first thing she said so maybe it was. Maybe she was just angry. Maybe... fucking..." He walked over to his bed and crumpled over on it as he began sobbing. Even with her being concerned for him at the end there, what if she really didn't give a shit about him? She always said she loved the whole crew and treated them as family. "Am I the odd one out?" he cried. "Am I just the extra gun? The fuckup she brought on board cos I could do a little bit of good when I ain't screwing up everything?!" He punched into his mattress as he cried, his tears staining the covers as they fell uncontrollably. Even after all the care that has been given to him, Aesop could never focus on anything but the negative. Protecting Lillith and Sprout, fighting a war, he was more than on board for that. Dying? He'd wanted that for years. But that one thing, that one thing Pixie said had stuck with him and hurt him as bad as when he had watched his friends...
=============================

"Where are they comin' from?"

"I don't know I can't even peek my head up."

"Who cares bullets are flying everywhere just shoot where the bangs come from-"

"KEATS! NO!"

"DON'T SHE'S DEAD DON'T G-"

"OH FUCK WHAT'S HE DOING?"

"ARIN!"

"Leave him he's dead, they both are."

"FUCK FUCK FUCKING GOD DAMMIT!"

"Salih run, go get the-"

"EMILIO!"

"SHIT GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKER!"

"Emilio you alright?"

"No no! He got me in the fucking shoulder shit shit SHIT!"

"Where is everyone? Where's Alex and Peter and Jax?"

"Peter is right here boys."

"The fuck? PETE HELP U-"

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

================================
Memories flooding back to him, Aesop just kept crying into the bed.