The Bad Ideas Guy

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Bad Ideas Guy

...And Capcom is pretty much entirely staffed by these guys.

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Eh, too easy to link that JonTron sketch. Somebody else can do it.

Capcom and Sonic Team are way up there when it comes to producing some pretty whacked-out crap.

[small][sub][sub]"Wait a minute, Ray...wot 'ave we done? :c[/sub][/sub][/small]

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
The smart pistol is not as bad as you'd think it is. It's great for clearing out grunts and spectres, but it's pretty hard to actually do anything against players with. And I certainly found the Carbine easier to use... hell, I even scored more kills when I was using the designated marksman rifle. And what with people moving about the place like paranoid flies on speed, my best guess is that the smart pistol ain't that great.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
So... who's the gritty reboot Iron Man-lookalike supposed to be? Or is that just "Arbitrary Gritty Reboot No. 212"?

Also, the Smart Pistol sounds like a decent weapon for people less used to shooters, since as Matthi205 said, it's less easy to use it against players (what with a lock-on, charge-up time) but works well against the AI grunts. It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Yeah, in my whole 30 or 40 games so far I don't think I could count on one hand how many times I've seen the smart gun as a source of my death.. Gimmicky but not a game changer.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Matthi205 said:
The smart pistol is not as bad as you'd think it is. It's great for clearing out grunts and spectres, but it's pretty hard to actually do anything against players with. And I certainly found the Carbine easier to use... hell, I even scored more kills when I was using the designated marksman rifle. And what with people moving about the place like paranoid flies on speed, my best guess is that the smart pistol ain't that great.
Yeah. It was better in the beta, it targeted slightly faster (I think, or that's just me). But now, it's not really that great anymore.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I thought I hated the smart pistol too. However, upon using it myself, that thing is a pain in the ass to use. You better not plan on getting anywhere NEAR the line of site of your enemy before you get a full lock on, or else they will cream you before then. It doesn't even aim well as a standard pistol. Most people who kill you with it already had the drop on you, so it's mostly your fault if you die to it.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
The_Darkness said:
So... who's the gritty reboot Iron Man-lookalike supposed to be? Or is that just "Arbitrary Gritty Reboot No. 212"?

Also, the Smart Pistol sounds like a decent weapon for people less used to shooters, since as Matthi205 said, it's less easy to use it against players (what with a lock-on, charge-up time) but works well against the AI grunts. It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?
Nope, Bomberman for the Xbox 360, I shit you not.

Look at that monstrosity! Did they really think that fans of the game were gonna go for that...thing?

OT: The Smart Pistol from what I've seen of it has limited range and ammunition and has a lock-on time so it's not really a bullshit weapon. However, Seekers from Dark Souls are pretty overpowered from what I've seen.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
If any major gaming studio is still missing their bad ideas guy and wants to have one because everyone else already has one or several (as this is normally how such things seem to work),
they should feel free to send me offers. I'll supply them with bad ideas at very reasonable rates.

About smart pistols: I don't play Titanfall but what I have heard of the topic (which is far too much) it sounds like it comes down to one perk that decreases the lock-on time. With it, it seems to be annoying and without the perk it seems to be fine/meh. I also hear people might not have figured out yet how to properly avoid the lock-on.
So can people shut up about it now so I can get to not playing and hearing about Titanfall? :(

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Ehh I'm going to go ahead and be the black sheep and say that I agree with the comic in that the smart pistol was a terrible idea. It's like playing on easy mode, and it's frustrating to get killed by someone who was just lucky enough to end up / spawn behind you and get an insta-kill without you even getting a chance to maybe turn and fire back.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:

Look at that monstrosity! Did they really think that fans of the game were gonna go for that...thing?
I... Oh.

Oh.

You have got to be kidding- *Checks* -but you're not...

Who in the world thought that was a good idea? What happened to the pink and blue Bomberman that we know and love?!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The Juggernaut perk wasn't that bad. At least if you ran with Stopping Power (which I almost always did) it wasn't. :p

But yeah, auto-aiming weapons are never a good idea. I like the list of names they went through before they settled on Smart Pistol.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
The_Darkness said:

The iron-man look alike is the reboot failure Bomberman: Act Zero. It was X-box's realistic gritty reboot of the bomberman series that was terrible.

edit: Nevermind, someone else already mentioned it. Should have refreshed before posting. Ha

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
otakon17 said:
The_Darkness said:

OT: The Smart Pistol from what I've seen of it has limited range and ammunition and has a lock-on time so it's not really a bullshit weapon. However, Seekers from Dark Souls are pretty overpowered from what I've seen.
That image just made me extremely angry. Bomberman was a huge part of my childhood, and this... this monstrosity is not him. Fuck Konami. I'm glad that game got beaten to death by reviewers back in 2006.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
otakon17 said:
You had to say it, i shall now post a video.

That aside though, if you use full Havels with his shield you can block basically everything with little to no damage getting through. The only real danger is getting backstabbed or riposted.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Like the person who decided that a big part of skyrim's main quest should involve talking to the greybeards.

First time? it isn't too bad. But considering this is the kind of game someone would do multiple run throughs of, trying different builds...

It is HELLISH to sit through their dull bullshit for the tenth time.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
I always find it funny that people use some kind of "reverse defense" to justify the Smart Pistol. "But it's not any good at all so it's not a problem! In fact, it's so bad no one should use it!"

What's the point of having it in the game, then?

The_Darkness said:
It's a way of letting newer players get a hook into the game without immediately getting wiped out by everyone else. Which is good, isn't it?
How can a terrible weapon that pretty much won't kill any player, good for "letting newer players get a hook into the game"? Also, no, I don't think casualizing your game for an inexperienced fanbase is good. They are the ones who should learn and get good at playing it, not the other way around.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
otakon17 said:

That is the same as...

Oh my childhood...

Edit: Now that I think about it, I faintly remember this game, my brain might have repressed the memory.

OT: I think it was Unskippable that said the Sonic team secretly wants to make games that aren't Sonic games, but are forced to shoehorn the hedgehog in.