The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Well I don't think I did that, as I recall I was expressing my genuine opinions on the subject, not necessarily with the intention of starting any manner of argument. Although I guess that those kind of responses kind of come with the territory of questioning the quality of turn based gameplay, and the Final Fantasy series.
Maybe, maybe not.
People tend to assume a lot, on the Internet.

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Chiddy said:
Hey, um ive got a thread with 1233 views, and no badge? i know my views dont count, but I havent viewed it 233 times ???
Badges are given at 10am (can't remember the time zone though) the next day. So if it's from today you should be getting it tomorrow. If it's been a few days, yeah you might want to ask someone.
its all good, thx if someone saw this or other posts and fixed it :p

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
Hey just wondering if you were planing on adding a section that would explain how many posts you need for a certain title, i've looked around the forums and cant seem to find a thread on it???

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Chiddy said:
Hey just wondering if you were planing on adding a section that would explain how many posts you need for a certain title, i've looked around the forums and cant seem to find a thread on it???
Hmm, I've forgotten how many posts it takes to achieve certain titles. I'll do a bit of research, but how it will fit in with a thread about Bans, I don't know.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Chiddy said:
Hmm, I've forgotten how many posts it takes to achieve certain titles. I'll do a bit of research, but how it will fit in with a thread about Bans, I don't know.
Short answer: it won't. However, to be helpful, here's a few I know:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000+ posts.
Master Archivest: 5000+ posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10,000+ posts. Only Indigo Dingo has achieved this, to my knowledge.

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
Lord Krunk said:
Chiddy said:
Short answer: it won't. However, to be helpful, here's a few I know:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000+ posts.
Master Archivest: 5000+ posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10,000+ posts. Only Indigo Dingo has achieved this, to my knowledge.
Thanks i thought it was relevant because underneath the ban hammer information there is info on the badges, i thought this was similar to titles, in comparison to awards and stuff like that

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Lord Krunk said:
Lots of stuff
Just an update for you, there is an additional level of moderation under probation. Official warnings can be issued that send PMs and stay listed in a user's ban history. They don't show publicly though, and don't affect the badges. But they do impact what future penalties will be.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Virgil said:
Lord Krunk said:
Lots of stuff
Just an update for you, there is an additional level of moderation under probation. Official warnings can be issued that send PMs and stay listed in a user's ban history. They don't show publicly though, and don't affect the badges. But they do impact what future penalties will be.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about those completely. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll update as soon as I can.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
I've got a question. I was just looking around for some kind of post regarding windows 7 not being shipped with IE in europe because of marketing laws or something. Anyways i noticed someone got a permanant ban for the post "lol what".

Is that because the post was so horrific that moderators had to change it before they got banned, or did they get banned for that specific post, and if so why?

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
McMo0^ said:
I've got a question. I was just looking around for some kind of post regarding windows 7 not being shipped with IE in europe because of marketing laws or something. Anyways i noticed someone got a permanant ban for the post "lol what".

Is that because the post was so horrific that moderators had to change it before they got banned, or did they get banned for that specific post, and if so why?
No, he was banned because his history was full of inflammatory remarks and insults, as well as a general lack of respect.
(NOTE: I am not a mod, but this is how I understand it to be.)

Nov 28, 2007
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

No, he was banned because his history was full of inflammatory remarks and insults, as well as a general lack of respect.
That was Eggo, right? Yeah, I believe it was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type deal.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
thebobmaster said:
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

That was Eggo, right? Yeah, I believe it was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type deal.
It wasn't Eggo that time, but Eggo was banned for posting "lol what" on another thread about Microsoft, as well as his history of flaming.

We don't like using "Lol what" solely making up posts anyway, as it adds nothing to the discussion, but those posters have usually had a history of mod wrath, and that makes up why they were banned as well.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Zombie_Fish said:
thebobmaster said:
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

It wasn't Eggo that time, but Eggo was banned for posting "lol what" on another thread about Microsoft, as well as his history of flaming.

We don't like using "Lol what" solely making up posts anyway, as it adds nothing to the discussion, but those posters have usually had a history of mod wrath, and that makes up why they were banned as well.
Maybe it was Pyronox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.109951.1895037] he was talking about, he got banned for the same reason as Eggo, and with the same words.

Mind you, the thread wasn't about Windows 7 either.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Zombie_Fish said:
thebobmaster said:
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

Maybe it was Pyronox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.109951.1895037] he was talking about, he got banned for the same reason as Eggo, and with the same words.

Mind you, the thread wasn't about Windows 7 either.
Being the sad person that I am I have looked in the forums for what has to be about half an hour and can't find anyone banned for a thread about Windows 7 and IE, yet alone for posting "lol what" in it, so I'm going to go for the closest one and say Eggo, despite my thoughts before.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
SimuLord said:
Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableTargets], but go after a pet liberal cause (with a "kitchen/sammich" joke or anything that's racist toward any race other than white people) and you're up a creek.
Dunno about that. I recently told off a whole bunch of people who were posting torture fantasies about the most acceptable of "Acceptable Targets" -- sex offenders.

On a large open forum, though, you do have to pick your battles. Attack language has become so embedded in the basic communication style of the Internet that we can't possibly hope to remove or "punish" all of it.

Plainly put, I personally prioritize racist and sexist language over the other kinds of mudslinging because the discourse on gaming forums really is overwhelmingly controlled by cisgendered heterosexual white men. I'm not as worried about, say, political language, because I do at least see a "healthy" back-and-forth going on: there's roughly equal hate for Fox News and "political correctness", which is what passes for a balance between "liberal" and "conservative" ideology on the Internet. (And, let's be honest here, people here still get away with a massive quantity of ridiculous bigotry just by using "I" statements instead of racial slurs.)

The message I really want to send is that no personal attacks or group attacks are truly safe. If you make an ass out of yourself, you're always a potential target for "moderator wrath", regardless of whom you happen to be attacking. The only way to really win this game is not to be an ass.

-- Alex

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
scotth266 said:
MoonPenguin also has, I think he/she is somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 posts.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Virgil said:
Are records of those messages deleted after a period of time, or are they permanent? Or is there at least some kind of time-stamp to prevent members who've been around for a while getting harsher penalties based on indiscretions from years back?