The Batman trailer is here

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If by "awesome" you mean an incredibly awkward, out of place, dated use of a song by that creep Prince in a desperate attempt to bring Batman into the real world, then...sure?
Its the equivalent of Joker from the Batman having a music video set to a BTS song. Smells of that "How's it going, fellow kids?" meme.

It worked well for that Joker, and it still does now. There is no shame nor embarrassment. While dated, I don't consider it a bad thing nor a horrible blemish you are making it out to be. A majority of people still enjoy that scene doesn't matter if there old, young, casual, hardcore, or non Batman fans. There is more to it than your personal, absurdly high, standard. The Joker is attention whore, it fits. Or being funny on his terms. Perfectly in character.
I think the Joker is becoming the most divisive character in cinema. How about agreeing that there've been enough iterations of him to allow everyone to have a preference without the need to shit on everyone else's preference that doesn't align with your own? That, or stop adapting Batman characters to screen since no one's ever going to "get it right." I swear, every time Batman comes up, it's like the war in Iraq all over again: unsatisfying, unnecessary and pointless. Which ironically feeds into the character of the Joker: causing chaos where order could easily be maintained should level heads prevail. He wins again.

TL;DR? Pick a Joker, like him or hate him; nobody cares.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think the Joker is becoming the most divisive character in cinema. How about agreeing that there've been enough iterations of him to allow everyone to have a preference without the need to shit on everyone else's preference that doesn't align with your own? That, or stop adapting Batman characters to screen since no one's ever going to "get it right." I swear, every time Batman comes up, it's like the war in Iraq all over again: unsatisfying, unnecessary and pointless. Which ironically feeds into the character of the Joker: causing chaos where order could easily be maintained should level heads prevail. He wins again.

TL;DR? Pick a Joker, like him or hate him; nobody cares.
I 100% agree with you. There's been so many interpretations of the Joker that it's ridiculous. A majority of interpretations I don't have a problem with. This whole "there is only one true Joker or he has to be this way!" is ridiculous and is usually of obsessed Batman fans. Most people don't have a problem with different interpretations.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It has a real Silence of the Lamb feel. I like it. Its different, but clearly takes from Heath Ledger's Joker way more than Nicholson's horrible Joker, or Phoenix's horrible Joker, or even Leto's every more horrible Joker.
He comes off as demented but intelligent, but also has that weird obsession with Batman the Joker is supposed to have, both with just straight up wanting to talk about Bats, and referencing their anniversary being paper.
Also I like that Joker and Batman already had a fight. I don't overly like a brand new Joker vs brand new Batman. Good to give them a little bit of episodic continuity.
Nicholson is a great Joker.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Sloclap can make the next Batman game. I said this last time and it still applies.

Was very impressed with the quality of the mods they've been able to put out for this game.

OT: Now that I assume we can talk about spoilers, the Batmobile chase is both one of the best scenes in the movie and also one of the stupidest. You can't tell me that no one fucking died after Penguin caused the oil truck to explode. That they seemingly just let him get away with it (I was pretty confused how he was not arrested after, even without the murder there was plenty of things he could be charged with) was bizarre, even more bizarre was how Bats didn't even seem to consider what just happened. I know he's a huge vengeance guy at this point in the movie, but I think even he would have checked on the other drivers first to make sure they were okay (even if they were totally dead).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

"And I've always loved theatre. And I think my films are more theatrical than cinematic half the time. I love theatricality because it says this is not normal. This is not real. This is an abstract version of things. And that's what I like. Films are not real. The real thing is what you have to live daily. And that's why we make movies, because your life is boring."

Someone let this guy produce a Batman movie.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

"And I've always loved theatre. And I think my films are more theatrical than cinematic half the time. I love theatricality because it says this is not normal. This is not real. This is an abstract version of things. And that's what I like. Films are not real. The real thing is what you have to live daily. And that's why we make movies, because your life is boring."

Someone let this guy produce a Batman movie.
Batman by way of Terry Gilliam would be a HELL of a thing.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Smart call to get rid of the shorter cut, if it didn't do a good test run. Not all cases like this are one to one, but it's understandable. The short cut version would have cut too much out and would be missing key scenes. Not to mention, losing all the good slow and proper buildup.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Smart call to get rid of the shorter cut, if it didn't do a good test run. Not all cases like this are one to one, but it's understandable. The shortcut version midday cut too much out and would be missing key scenes. Not to mention, losing all the good slow and proper buildup.

I would trust test audiences on anything.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would trust test audiences on anything.
That is mostly true, but even test audiences can screw things up. They ain't perfect either. The original ending to I Am Legend (Will Smith) comes to mind. Then there is when John Carpenter refused to listen to test audiences for Thing 1982. They complained the movie was too gory. He changed absolutely nothing. Also, test audiences complained that the relationship between Joker and Harley Quinn was "too uncomfortable" in Suicide Squad (2016). So it was reshot to make them more a "normal couple" by comparison, instead of the abusive relationship it's supposed to be. I guess that's just audience never seen Batman: The Animated Series before. But if that kind of the movie made them uncomfortable, that I showed her to think when they watch movies about actual abusive relationships or watch the animated series.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
well shit. It just now occurred to me those guys in the beginning probably were emulating Joker since his appearance happened a year before. I sorta forgot all about those guys because the movie is so dense. Thank you HBO max.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Seems lots of people thought Keaton was too short to play Batman. I thought I was pretty alone. Everyone is so familiar with him as Batman now that it hardly comes up anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seems lots of people thought Keaton was too short to play Batman. I thought I was pretty alone. Everyone is so familiar with him as Batman now that it hardly comes up anymore.

Fanboys will biatch about anything that's not to their specific taste. All I know is that people didn't want Keaton at the time, because of the Mr. Mom fame. My parents specifically went to see Batman 1989 because of it. They are still big fans of Michael Keaton, and they knew from the start that he could bring it home.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Spiritual Adaptation:
    • The premise is very similar to Batman: Arkham Origins. Batman is still young, raw, and holds nothing back when fighting. Both stories are set in Batman's second year of vigilantism, when he's encountering some of his most prominent enemies for the first time and most thugs aren’t sure what Batman even is. On a more personal level, Bruce is a borderline Death Seeker, which is constantly putting him and Alfred at odds. The biggest difference between the movie and the game thus far is that Batman seems to have already formed a rudimentary alliance with the GCPD in the movie, whereas the police consisted almost entirely of crooked cops who wanted to kill Batman for a $50 million bounty in the game.
    • Like The Dark Knight before it, the story also bears many similarities to The Long Halloween. In fact, the film seems to avoid adapting the parts of The Long Halloween that The Dark Knight already used note i.e. the triumvirate alliance between Batman, Gordon, and Dent and Dent's transformation into Two-Face , instead drawing on elements such as the driving plot being a serial killer mystery, Batman's burgeoning relationship with Selina Kyle, and the sprawling cast of villains. That Matt Reeves was a literal student of Jeph Loeb while studying at USC makes the influence undeniable.
    • The movie as a whole is tonally similar to the comics of the 1970s, which were acclaimed for their moody atmosphere, social consciousness and emphasis on mystery and detective work. This stands in stark contrast to most other Batman films, which have been more heavily inspired by the Post-Crisis interpretation of the character, which is much more violent and antagonistic.
Neat. Especially on the last entry.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
If only! Wish they could have put Eartha Kitt in there...

I made the mistake of clicking the full video. I don't know what it is, but I find the Corridor Crew absolutely insufferable. They have the total personality of a Salmon polo shirt.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I made the mistake of clicking the full video. I don't know what it is, but I find the Corridor Crew absolutely insufferable. They have the total personality of a Salmon polo shirt.
You mean you got the full 23 min. video rather than the 1:31 here?

I did check out some of the 23 min. and, I like the enthusiasm these guys show. And some info on how they did this.