The Best FPS Ever . . . so far.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Irridium said:
Timesplitters 2/Future Perfect

The games are pure, condensed fun. Out of the two I'd pick Timesplitters 2, but that's personal preference. Both are the best ever in my eyes.
I completely agree with this opinion.

TimeSplitters as a series are simply the most fun shooters (possibly even the most all-round fun games in general) I've ever played.

Personally, I prefer 2 as well, but Future Perfect is still pretty bloody incredible. Both are easily in my top 10 games ever.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009

The very first level has you blowing up a museum, getting an RPG-7, and then blowing up a bell tower.

Awesome.

Alduin Silas

Aug 3, 2011
Serious Sam, the original. A simple "go in there, **** things up, solve the odd puzzle." SO much fun.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Single player only:
Just replayed Killzone 2&3. They are awesome in terms of weighty gameplay/weapons and presentation. While i love the third for the varied great looking setpieces and overall action i favor the second for the more detailed indoor levelsets with more particle and lightning effects and it´s physics. The warehouse fight at the beginnig is a good example: breakable glass, empty canisters go flying when shot same goes for tyres and other small stuff. Glass bottles don`t just break when you run against them, they fall and roll around.

I just love this series since the first Killzone.
Just try to close your ears when the characters start talking (especially Killzone 2). A bleeper for all this unatural swearing would make these games hysterical.

The Call of Juarez series is nice to. It`s not the best fps ever made but it`s one of the best if you`re tired of most gamesettings like modern war, ww2, sience fiction stuff (yes, even The Cartel which i liked despite most bad review scores)).

When it comes to FPS it`s hard to look back at the ones released around 2000-2005 or earlier. While i have positive memories of the old stuff i just can`t get back into it. Maybe i`m an bigger graphics whore than i thought i`be.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Sixcess said:
I haven't played Hard Reset so I couldn't say if it qualifies, but I've never quite understood why people think of Painkiller and Serious Sam as being like Doom. Doom's levels were huge, sprawling mazes with a lot of freedom of movement, whereas PK and SS both revolve around locking you in a succession of big rooms and throwing waves of enemies at you for a while.

Personally the FPS that has most reminded me of Doom in the last decade was Crysis - not an exact match by any means, but the suit powers gave me something of that one-man army feel.
Ahhh... so because doom maps are a series of a lot small rooms connecter and Painkiller/Serious Sam take place in a few big ones they are totally different? Add the freedom of movement (wtf does that mean?) and the one-man army feel and i think you are talking grounded on nostalgia.

Things that are similar:

- weapons mechanics
- health mechanics
- enemy AI behaviour
- gamplay during engagements
- fast pace FPS
- lack of cover (in the modern sense of the word)

things that ain't:

- level design (not sure however how much of Doom level desing was forced due technological limitations)

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
UT2004 is the best multiplayer fps ever made in my humble opinion(if you don't love flak cannons you have no soul).
singleplayer is a lot harder to determine but my vote goes for deus ex(action RPG doesn't count yada yada ya,it is first person and loosely based around shooting end of).

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
F.E.A.R. The combat was exhilarating and it had a well-constructed story. And it genuinely scared me. I can't think of any other shooter that tapped into my actual adrenaline.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Tanakh said:
Add the freedom of movement (wtf does that mean?
It means this

It means moving constantly through the level, and being able to pick your path through that level, not stopping every two minutes to circle strafe waves of enemies in a big room (replace the word cutscene in the righthand image with the words 'waves of mobs' and that's PK and SS) and it's something that's almost extinct in modern FPSs.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The greatest FPS is, without question, AvP2 for the PC.

Best single player campaigns (the marine campaign, especially).

Best multiplayer format.

Best subject matter.

:p

Captcha: Can someone explain what the fuck a "giddy goat" is? Wait......on second thought I'm pretty sure I'd rather not know.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Sixcess said:
If what you like about Doom is the level desing, i suggest giving frayed knights a try (lazy link http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/ ). That level desing however is a concious choice, you go for a tense atmosphere and slower pace of an apparent complex map or the beautiful enviroments and faster pace of big rooms? Designer choice, the latter are more action filled, the former suit better FPS horror games.

Also... i think the text should't go in the spoiler tag :p

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
No FPS game has ever come close to entertaining me as much as the original Quake did. Playing online through my 28.8, oh lawd. The glory days! Quake is the best shooter in the history of the color brown.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
if you count it, TF2. its so much more fun than any other shooter i've played. in fact, i guess portal also counts, since your shooting stuff in the first person

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Tanakh said:
If what you like about Doom is the level desing, i suggest giving frayed knights a try (lazy link http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/ ).
Bookmarked for future investigation.

That level design however is a concious choice, you go for a tense atmosphere and slower pace of an apparent complex map or the beautiful enviroments and faster pace of big rooms? Designer choice, the latter are more action filled, the former suit better FPS horror games.
Fair point, though it makes me sad that modern gaming's apparent obsession with scripted setpieces - particularly in FPSs - has made Doom style level design almost entirely a thing of the past.

Also... i think the text should't go in the spoiler tag :p
Haha. I must admit I hummed and hawed over whether or not to format it like that. I use the Preview button way too much...