The Best FPS Ever . . . so far.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I find FPS games ok, a little bland, but its ok i suppose. Reach was the main FPS i played for a while, but as of late ive been playing more 3rd person games, and Harvest Moon, God i love Harvest Moon.

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011
I will just say the games I have enjoyed the most would have to be:
Goldeneye 64
Halo: CE
Halo 2
and especially Halo 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
... World at War
... Black Ops
Team Fortress 2
Bioshock
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3
Thats pretty much all I can think of right now :)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Halo CE by far... Even playing Anniversary it's just sooo much fun. :) Also loved the story.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Anthraxus said:

I find mainstream military shooters boring and laughable after playing this.
I am going to have to go with this as well. This changed my outlook on the FPS genre completely. Titles like CoD are just not interesting (or all that good) to me anymore.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
It depends on what you're looking for?

For overall action, Killzone 3 and the Conduit come to mind. Black does too, actually.

For multiplayer and a great campaign plus a game you can play forever and keep finding new things, Halo 3.

For story, Half-Life 2 and Bioshock.

For a reason to play FPS games.... Well.... I can't think of one.

Fuhrlock

Apr 1, 2012
Timesplitters Future Perfect claimed so many hours of my life, I can't not say it is my favourite fps of all time. The story mode walked the thin line between serious, but hilariously self-aware (a needed improvement since TS2) and provided a large variety of settings.

And then there was the multiplayer with all the awesome characters, huge weapon variety and awesome levels (plus a decent level editor) even now I still load it up if I have free time

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
For realism / fun making maps: Operation Flashpoint
For flat out fun: Star Wars Battlefront 2

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
My choices are too great, Doom and Wolfenstien on the Macintosh were the first two I played and deeply enjoyed them. Borderlands because of its humor and rpg elements. Hard Reset was pretty interesting to play. Painkiller just for the reasons of the Zero Punctuation review. Dark Forces for being an awesome Star Wars FPS game that introduced my immense hatred for sewer levels. Finally Resistance: FOM was one of the games that got me interested in buying a PS3 and while difficult it also had awesome weapons and enemies along with health to pick up.
While I am not a huge fan of the xbox, I will admit Halo was really fun and well worth the praise it received.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
It depends on how you look at things. To me, there are two main schools of FPS thought: ALL THE GUNS, and ONLY TWO GUNS. Of the former, I would say that UT2004 beats its competitors in both variety and engagement of combat--yet it has barely any semblance of story, being mostly just "here's some background, just go shoot things." Not that Doom, Quake, or Wolfenstine have particularly engaging stories, but remember that Half Life and HL2 are "ALL THE GUNS" FPSs, and they have a fantastic storyline (at the expense of its combat.)

Of the latter, Halo and Halo Reach have, bar none, the best combat, but they do fall behind the pseudo-RPGs like Bioshock and Deus Ex in terms of story. On the other hand, Deus Ex/Bioshock/etc. have so much else packed into them that they don't really feel like FPSs to me.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
For me, it's always changing. The one that lasted the longest in any console was definitely Halo 2. So many memories of all nighters with friends. I really want to say Fallout 3, but there aren't as many FPS aspects to it compared to most shooters, and I see it more as an RPG than a shooter. Although I do go on Black Ops once in a while when I get invites. The one that I'm currently hooked on is Deus Ex: HR. On my next playthrough I'm gonna be an overall failure. I'll fuck up on every decision I'll ever make just to see how bad it will screw me over.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I want to ad Painkiller to my list, to be more precise (I'm getting flamed for this) Hell Wars.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Res Plus said:
At one point I thought I was being killed by an invisible enemy but actually it wasn't invisible, that would be silly, it was just a very, very small and incredibly fast moving enemy. Yay.
I've never played Daikatana but just watching a Lets Play gave me a very strong sene of how horrible it would be to actually try to play it. I don't think it even qualifies as so bad it's good.

And good god, the visuals are eye bleedingly ugly.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I think the best FPS in my life was Halo: Combat Evolved.
I had played Golden Eye and Time Splitters before Halo: CE, but CE really got me involved with shooters. I don't think I would have played CoD4 or MW2 at all if I hadn't played CE. Totally up all the time I've played across all the Halo's, it wouldn't surprise me if it was over a month or two. I played the fuck out of Halo 3 and Reach as well as the amount of time I sunk into each campaign.

Time Splitters 2 is the one I enjoy the most because of how fun and customizable the multiplayer is, but I still think Halo: CE is the best because of it's impact on my gaming life.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Halo 3 for me. Pretty fun guns, plenty of sticky grenades, planes that do backflips, more sticky grenades, gravity lifts, making a logo of a cat in a cowboy hat, team rockets, mongooses (mongeese?), sticky grenades and gravity ramps, no armor lock, and most importantly, sticky grenades