the best fps games ever!

strider2u

Feb 6, 2011
Really? Hexen has been the FPS I've lost the most hours to, followed up by Deus Ex. Seriously, if you like Doom give Hexen a shot. Also C&C Renegade was my first online multiplayer experience so I have to give it a recommendation as well. Mix between Battlefield (with tanks and helicopters you pilot) and Team Fortress with various classes with differing specialty. Mandatory Bioshock shoutout

Also if you have not played the Metroid Prime series.... it was the reason I bought the Wii and don't regret my $300 game purchase at all.

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
List would be:

Counter-Strike
Half-Life 1 + 2
Portal
BioShock
Deus Ex
Borderlands
Battle Field Bad Company 2
Team Fortress
Left 4 Dead 1 + 2
System Shock 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series

but if I had to choose only probably Deus Ex. A master piece of great story with RPG element integrated in almost flawlessly.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Purely as a shooter it would be UT2004
- story, what is that?
- realism, what are you on about?
- crazy gun bukake fun, yes come right in!
- colors, yes we have those too

VincentR

Apr 17, 2011
I'ma go ahead and suggest the Marathon series, if you enjoyed Halo because of the campaign. It's also by Bungie, but its story is FAR AND AWAY superior to, well, any other FPS I can think of, aside from select games (System Shock Series was also amazing). It IS fairly dated though, the first one being from ~1994 and the next two between ~1996 - ~1998. But, it's free online: Just google Marathon Aleph One and it should come up.

Yep, just checked it myself, and simply googling Aleph One will be the very first result.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Half-Life 1, 2 and Eps/Expansions
Portal 1+2(although I suppose technically they would be FPPs?)
Bioshock 1
Borderlands (FPSRPG)
Metroid Prime
Doom

Apprentice88

Jun 16, 2011
Killing Floor.

It's a Co-operative Zombie Survival Shooter with the best terrible voice acting you'll ever hear.
I've played it since it's birth as a UT mod right though to its current retail rendition and I play it more than any other shooter I own.

Fenix7

Jun 14, 2011
My favourite FPS (and one of my favourite games of all time as well) is Half-Life. Half-Life 2 and it's episodes are a close second.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Singularity was a fantastic game, and I'm glad I bought it on a whim. Day one, I bought it and had never heard of it and I'm glad I did. Great story, settings, everything.

And Gears of War. Huge Guys in armor, but the story is fantastic, multiplayer not so much but the single player is booomb

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
If you're looking for single player experiences, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat is my favorite FPS, with Crysis coming in second.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is extremely atmospheric, unique, and engrossing. Truly an amazing series like no other. Crysis lets you use whatever play style you prefer to be a badass.

TEMHOTA said:
Basically this guy knows what he's talking about. Listen to him.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
PERFECT DARK! Hands down... nothing i've played since has been as satisfying/replayable, etc

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
rather than rattle off shooters that are already out and that you probably would have played if you were at all interested in them, ill just post a few videos of upcoming shooters you would probably enjoy. btw, these are games that i am extremely excited about. i wouldnt show them to you if i didnt want them, myself.

Battlefield 3 (October 25)
DICE has shown that they are the kings of multiplayer, and since Battlefield 3 is their most ambitious project yet, i think its safe to say that it will offer one of the greatest competitive multiplayer experiences of all time.

RAGE (October 4)
if you can appreciate story and a long, exciting campaign in an FPS, you should get RAGE. think of Fallout 3 and Borderlands combined and perfected, and you get RAGE. it is, of course, open-world.

Prey 2 (2012)
no need to play the first Prey from 2006 (although i have heard it is a great game) because this one basically has nothing to do with the original... even so, it looks AMAZING. again, this game is supposed to offer a rich single player experience. no multiplayer, but i think it will offer plenty of replayability. Prey 2 is also open-world, and in just the kind of environment ive been hoping to see in a game.

those are my top three FPS that im excited about, but heres a few more games im looking forward to...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Auguest 23) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2JzHJSgdc

Dead Island (September 6) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDn3p879rw

The Darkness 2 (October 4) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSgiwehOt7w

Bioshock: Infinite (2012) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6_PSJJFqmk

Far Cry 3 (2012) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaGSSrp49uc

who says the FPS genre has no originality? pfff... if you dont get turned on by at least half of these games, you shouldnt be allowed to even have an opinion about first-person shooters :p

personally, i will very likely be getting every one of them. im still sort of iffy on Dead Island and The Darkness 2, because i havent seen quite enough footage of them yet for me to be sure about buying them.

Edit: and in case you are curious, every game i listed is for PC, Xbox 360, PS3... so just pick your favorite :p

ToAsTy McBuTTeR

May 27, 2009
sravankb said:
Halo: Reach. Yeah, I know you said don't mention it, but I think people who have claim that Halo 1's campaign Reach or ODST have not really played the latter two. There's several reasons why Reach and ODST are infinitely better.

EDIT: Inb4 subjective. Yes, I understand how opinions work. But Halo 1's campaign has some serious design flaws (the Flood in general, the library, terrible animations, horrendous level design and aesthetics, etc.), and I just cannot get how people can simply ignore those and claim that it is somehow better.
as to the flood and library and why it was better in halo 1:

in a word: atmosphere.

in more words: it was the first time we saw them they were weird and they were not the covenant... the second third forth and fifth times were the same thing, they tried to use the same atmosphere and the same scare tactics... and it was boring. and the covenant was better as a giant coalition of stupid assholes instead of a collection of stupid assholes with infighting...

everything after halo 1 (as far as campaign is concerned) felt like a retread of where we had already been and/or shoehorning some lame backstory into continuity see also: the new star wars trilogy.

reach added bots to multiplayer... something i wanted in halo 2... yay a decent addition 3 games later...

you are entitled to your opinion no matter how much i disagree with you, do not feel it necessary to tell me i am wrong, cause i won't listen

edit: on topic: i don't i know any you haven't played.. you have played some of my favorites.. good taste mate.

urluckyidunbeatu

Feb 19, 2011
I loved the FEAR series, even though I feel FEAR 2 didn't do the best thing it could have with gameplay and I haven't gotten my hands on three I feel that the games do well in being entertaining. As my girlfriend says though, if you try and call them horror games and then compare them to the Silent Hill series then they fall flat on their face. Anyways, if I had to pick another it would be Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 but only for the special operations, the campaign felt good but something about the spec ops on veteran had me coming back again and again and again.