the best fps games ever!

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
Malikaw said:
PORTAL ISN'T A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER IT'S A FIRST PERSON PUZZLE-PLATFORMER

/turn off cruise control for cool
You shoot things (portals) and it is in first person. It is a fps shooter!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
What a shitlist.

Try fast shooters instead, like Serious Sam SE and Painkiller.

For atmospheric shooters play STALKER and Metro

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
We're onto the second page and noone has mentioned DOOM?
I'm shocked.

DOOM is the game that defined the FPS as we know it today, and almost 20 years on from its release it still plays like a dream. Huge, non linear levels; a hero that can take more than 2 shots without dying and moves at more than a trudge; tons of guns (and you can carry ALL of them at the same time) and more enemies than you can shake a chainsaw at.

Still the best FPS ever made.

Kalabrikan

Jun 10, 2010
marfin_ said:
Call of duty though is no fun for campaign or multiplayer, though that is my opinion and I know that I will be highly disagreed with.
Pretty much everybody would actually agree with you. On this site, anyway.

On the topic of shooters, you should play:

System Shock 2
Deus Ex (skip Invisible War)
Doom I/II (skip III)
Half-Life 2 + Episodes
Portal 2
No One Lives Forever I/II
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
STALKER: SOC/COP (avoid Clear Sky)
TimeSplitters 2
Battlefield 2

If you like those, play:

Quake I (+ mission packs)/III/Live (skip II)
Duke Nukem 3D
Painkiller
Serious Sam I/II
ArmA II (the most talked-about game, though I don't know a lot about the rest of the series)
Descent I/II
Blood

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Sinclair Solutions said:
Singularity. It's at least worth a rent. It's very original, varied powers and ways to kill bad guys, smooth animations, great weapons. It's a very, VERY well made game. I'm still kicking myself for not actually buying a copy and supporting it.
... really? Not a single thing in the game is original, not one thing, doesn't even look like anything special.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
believer258 said:
TheComedown said:
Sinclair Solutions said:
Singularity. It's at least worth a rent. It's very original, varied powers and ways to kill bad guys, smooth animations, great weapons. It's a very, VERY well made game. I'm still kicking myself for not actually buying a copy and supporting it.
... really? Not a single thing in the game is original, not one thing, doesn't even look like anything special.
...uh, have you played through the game? It takes some cues from Bioshock and Half-Life, sure, but for the most part the time mechanics are wholly original and very well executed. Not to mention that it's one of the few shooters with actual big bosses, something that isn't so common nowadays.

Yatzhee's review, by the way, is so over-the-top hateful toward it for no clear reason. Disliking a game is fine; calling it wholly unoriginal when it has a fair bit of originality is not.
Played it start 2 finish. Bored out of my mind pretty much the entire time, nothing I hadn't seen in HL2 or bioshock before, even the twist isn't new or original or even a twist that was unexpected, they gave it away right at the start. The shooting wasn't anything special and the puzzles where no different to the standard push button to continue game stuff we've seen 100 times before.

Yatzhee's review, by the way, is so over-the-top hateful toward it for no clear reason. Disliking a game is fine; calling it wholly unoriginal when it has a fair bit of originality is not.
oops, butthurt fanboy I see your rosy red cheeks showing.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
Id recommend Fear, Stalker and The darkness as a few other users have suggested.

Fear - Real good fun on hardest difficulty and i loved the story.

Stalker - The areas you go feel so huge and relentless keep a loaded gun on you at all times. Also there are alot of mods to mix and match things up if thats your style.

The Darkness - Problem officer? *impale*

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
Calo Nord said:
Half-Life is the greatest FPS game series ever created.

That is fact, not just opinion.
yes! I completely agree! I'm just trying to find games to play while waiting for half life 3 ; )

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
believer258 said:
I just thought it was a really good game that got way less attention than it deserved.
you can probably blame Activision for that... Singularity was supposed to be released not long after Modern Warfare 2, and it was already finished. Activision decided to delay it half a year so that MW2 could rain supreme and not have as little competition as possible, which killed the hype the game had going for it.

i think if Raven Software wasnt co-developing Modern Warfare 3, the studio would have been shut down by now.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
As much as I love Team Fortress 2; the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer shooter was huddled around the TV at a friends house with three other people playing Goldeneye. A good mix of weapons and room for some really sneaky tactics. That is, if your friends were honorable and didn't peek. It even had a built in handicapping system. Have a friend that isn't very good? They get to be Oddjob! A lot of summer nights went into that game.

I'm sad to say even after all these years no game has ever really touched Goldeneye for me in terms of multiplayer. But, things have changed far too much to be able to go back and keep that magic. I think it is best that I keep those fond memories than hook up my old N64 and tarnish them.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
You won't go far wrong with Battlefield: Bad Company 2's multiplayer (from the store of which you can also buy Bad Company 1 cheaply, which has a much better campaign).