The Best or Favorite Scythes in Video Games.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
of stability and balance issues that are introduced with anything that's bipedal.
Actually its not even so much that. Thoes can be overcome, its the fact they are large targets and they put a ton of weight on a small space. A tank is really heavy but its weight is distributed along their traks but a mech would have all that weight put at 2 relatively small points. Unless they were on really hardened concrete or steel they would sink into any material they stood on.

Reactions: Agema and BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Actually its not even so much that. Thoes can be overcome, its the fact they are large targets and they put a ton of weight on a small space. A tank is really heavy but its weight is distributed along their traks but a mech would have all that weight put at 2 relatively small points. Unless they were on really hardened concrete or steel they would sink into any material they stood on.
Their weapons are also usually on their arms and shoulders making them extremely top heavy, and the recoil of their giant guns would need to be compensated for, which would be difficult on an unstable surface.

Reactions: Agema

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Their weapons are also usually on their arms and shoulders making them extremely top heavy, and the recoil of their giant guns would need to be compensated for, which would be difficult on an unstable surface.
Actually all that can be compensated for if you can figure out how to make a bipedal robot just stand and walk, which are the part parts. Like in Battletech a lot of the weapons are energy based so probably don't have much kick and even the more conventional weapons could be recoilless to cut down on that. They would still be top heavy and a weapon that just did a heavy impact to knock them over would probably work pretty well if they had some kinda scifi armor that was much much harder to penetrate then the best current armor.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
If you want mechas to work better you just have to level up the pilot's spiral energy. Balance issues are solved if you have enough Gar.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure this is the only game I've ever played where there's a scythe as a weapon. It's called the Scythe of the Celts, from Clive Barker's Undying. You need it to kill the bosses. Otherwise, usually better to use the shotgun (or this weird Tibetan ice cannon) and casting lightning bolts.

1619424331469.png

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think also there's the aspect of weight to strength; as size increases it becomes much harder to maintain strength and power-to-weight ratio. The stresses on the legs would probably lead to them breaking down a huge proportion of the time. Armour would make this vastly more problematic, because covering all that surface area would impose awesome weight burdens.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Bloodborne's burial blade without a doubt. Too bad it's only viable in NG+ though I'm not complaining since I already played through the game atleast 20 times already anyway lmao. The detail in the artwork of the weapon is also incredible.

Much love for the weapon of one of my favorite SoulsBorne bosses -

That fight is one of the best in the entire series. I love her intro as well. Ashes of Ariandel is really my most favorite piece of Souls content. I wish we had an entire game in this kind of winter wonderland since it meshes so perfectly with the game's more otherworldly and grotesque elements. I also really love the look of Irithyll and castle cainhurst.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I like Scythes.

Visually, they're a lot of fun - but you don't really see them all that much.

As @Agema mentioned, they aren't actually much use in any combat scenario, which seems to limit their existence in media to edgelord games/characters, and anime - but I'd like to see more of them.

They're neat.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I like the scythe weapon type in Nioh 2. It's got 3 different settings, depending on what stance you are in. Low stance, and the blade is collapsed back against the shaft, making it almost look like a Klingon Bat'leth, just with the blade curved the other direction, convex towards the enemy, not concave. Mid stance is slightly extended, High Stance it's fully unfurled. And your fighting style is entirely different depending on that. Low stance, you're twirling around like a little dervish, high stance you are doing heavy swings.

I'll mention the scythe from Dante's Inferno, if only for the design of it. A shaft made of the spine of a monster, with a big ass blade attached to it. Looked distinct I'll give it that. I'm not a fan of "I wear the bones of my enemies" kind of motiff, and I preferred using the crucifix as a weapon in that game anyway, as the scythe was basically the "renegade mode" weapon, and the crucifix was the "paragon mode" weapon. So I used it more. But it did look neat.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I like the scythe weapon type in Nioh 2. It's got 3 different settings, depending on what stance you are in. Low stance, and the blade is collapsed back against the shaft, making it almost look like a Klingon Bat'leth, just with the blade curved the other direction, convex towards the enemy, not concave. Mid stance is slightly extended, High Stance it's fully unfurled. And your fighting style is entirely different depending on that. Low stance, you're twirling around like a little dervish, high stance you are doing heavy swings.

I'll mention the scythe from Dante's Inferno, if only for the design of it. A shaft made of the spine of a monster, with a big ass blade attached to it. Looked distinct I'll give it that. I'm not a fan of "I wear the bones of my enemies" kind of motiff, and I preferred using the crucifix as a weapon in that game anyway, as the scythe was basically the "renegade mode" weapon, and the crucifix was the "paragon mode" weapon. So I used it more. But it did look neat.
I was wondering when you would respond about Dante's inferno.

Reactions: happyninja42

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I came to say the bloodborne scythe but obviously someone beat me to that so....have a nice day.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I was wondering when you would respond about Dante's inferno.
Hehe, well it was a cool weapon. I didn't use it, because it was basically the asshole weapon, and earned you the Punishment xp, and I was going Redemption so, it was pretty much always just strapped to my back. The design was nice, I'll give it that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Loving the Eclipse Scythe in Razor's Edge. I actually love the final upgrade look in 3RE more than II/Sigma 2.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
of stability and balance issues that are introduced with anything that's bipedal.
Yes but can tanks leap over huge vertical barriers and shake the ground with every thundering step, striking fear into the hearts of whoever’s beneath them? I think not!

Anyways as for scythes, they can do wicked shit in video games and are symbolic with literal Death, dating back to some of the worst plague times on earth, so they have that going for them I guess.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I used to be into scythes but as I grew older I was kinda like, man these are dumb weapons. That edgy teen in me is forever dead.

40k does have some designs of necron 'warscythes' that look like they could be practical weapons. But they also got goofy traditional sickle scythes alongside them.

Anyway tapping back into memories of my teen days...

This isn't the best shot of it, but as a Kos-Mos fanboy - there's her F-Scythe. Also sci fi materials, android strength and energy blades more or less takes care of any of the impractical issues of the scythe as a weapon.

I remember finding it pretty cool how Dante's Sparda would transform in a scythe when thrown in DMC1. Pretty sure this screenshot isn't from the first game though.

As a Soul Calibur fan, I gotta mention Zasalamel.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Hel from Lunar Knights.

It doesn't come through in the image but once you unlock the charge attack for it the blades will splay out like a giant claw and you'll whirl around slashing anything around you. Also because of the elemental system, whatever element you have selected will color the cutting edge of the blade the color of that element which adds to the effect.