The Big P

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I feel like everyone downloaded Crysis 2 as a benchmark test for their computer instead of an actual graphics test.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Played once, will never do it again. I can imagine everyone who pirated Crysis 2 had this monologue:

My sweet, preicous machine. I love you, you are the center of my existence. If only there was a game that truly proved your worth...

Wait, what's this? Another Crysis game? Challenge accepted.

*three hours of pirated download later...

Hm, not bad, the start up menu looks nice.

*le three minutes later...

ARGHHHAAA!!! BURN IT WITH FIRE!! BURN THE HORRIBLENESS WITH FIRE!! IT BURNS, IT BURNS US PRECIOUS. TAKE IT OFF. NEED FIRE!

*le can of gasoline and a lighter

BURN THE UNRIGHTEOUSNESS AND CAST THIS DEMON BACK INTO THE ABYSS FROM WHENCE IT CAME!

*Meanwhile, back at company HQ...

Look sir, so many piraters loved our game. If only they bought it, we would have sold millions. Onward to make Crysis 3!

rooislangwtf

Oct 6, 2011
I must admit to pirating Crysis 2 for the sole purpose of seeing if my PC could handle it. I played the game for all of 10 minutes.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
theriddlen said:
Well, Crysis 2's singleplayer was awesome, and I'm a PC gamer. Multiplayer was great in the demo, but in the final version it had lost it's charm.

And yes, I had played Crysis, and I think it's a better game, but Crysis 2 was still a solid, very fun game.
Thank you, from a fellow PC gamer.

Good to see so many good little boys and girls here.

This is why CoD and BF keep getting rehashed. When they make a new game, I'll actually buy it.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Otaku World Order said:
Clearly the four million people who pirated Witcher 2 had much better taste. Their morality still sucked though
Now, prove that there were 4 million individual downloaders.

Don't forget to account for seedboxes, failed/multiple downloads, the fact that those numbers are usually cross referenced with various sites, which makes downloads count several times.

Ever wondered why CD Projekt said they were only sending letters to people they were 100% sure? Because whoever calculated those numbers cannot prove them.

Grenge Di Origin said:
Dango said:
I'm assuming a lot of the people who pirated it did so to see if their computer could run it, not that it's a good excuse.
Especially with the existence of <url=http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx>this website.
I never pirated a game to know if I could handle it, but I know from personal experience that sometime that site fucks up.

Some hardware I had was supposed to run a game, it didn't. Another time, it said it couldn't handle a game. It did.

I never used that site ever since.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
The P- word? like in ported? Pirates vote with their wallet. As soon as that EA stamp is on there, alot of the profit is going to get pirated. I never played crysis 2 btw, dident look like much of an improvement from.. well, far cry..

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ah, the dreaded P-word. Well ... the other P-word.
Still haven't narrowed it down.

People play pirated PC ports? Preposterous. >.>

Particularly appreciated the part about the property being pretty poor.

plainlake said:
Pirates vote with their wallet.
Poppycock.

Piracy statistics say to the producers that these games are worth playing. This promotes the persistence of those poor titles, pretty much resulting in the polar opposite of a negative vote.

"Voting with your wallet" is a pretty pathetic notion to begin with, as it only really relates to affirmative motion. Particularly, whether game X or game Y is preferred. Negative votes are impossible to differentiate. Piracy Proponents are merely setting up another positive voting predicament, predictably prompting the assumption that people prefer these titles but prefer not to pay.

Popular pirated properties are considered preferable by corporations as they still promise popularity.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ElPatron said:
Now, prove that there were 4 million individual downloaders.
Didn't even prove that. It used some dodgy assumptions and cooked mathematics to what would ultimately be a seriously inflated number. I seriously wouldn't be surprised to find the number was double or more what could be reasonably proved.

As of the time I hit quote, I have one post in this thread for a total of 33 posts. Assuming no other posts until I hit send, I will be one seventeenth of the thread.

Extrapolating, as CD Projekt did, I could assume I was 1/17th of the Escapist board posts. Since I have 7874 posts, that means that there is a grand total of 133858 posts.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who read the whole interview, as the guy who gave that number even partially admits to its faulty nature.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Pirates again, when did this become a big deal
I thought the bigger deal was being punished for not being a pirate

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Shes right. I hated Crysis 2.

I wouldnt pirate it if EA payed me to. ((mostly because i dont accept dirty money, and EA isnt exactly clean.))
It was just horribly annoying to me. It was really slow, and the controls felt kind of floaty. The worst offence being they added the whole "Dog Tag" Mechanic to the game to stop camping, and then added in a perk to negate it so people could stay invisible in their dark corners.

It looked nice though. But i happen to think Borderlands was one of the best looking games ever. So graphics dont mean all that much to me x:

Oh wait, OT: Great comic :D These are the main reason i jump on the escapist daily.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Packie_J said:
Huh... I always thought that smaller, more linear level design would give developers more opportunity to enhance NPCs AI behavior and pathfinding. Say what you want about Crysis but the AI was impressive for the scale of environment it had to deal with. Thanks for lowering the bar Crytek!
Speaking as someone who predominantly played stealthy in Crysis 1, the human AI was just this side of retarded. You can quite literally walk up and choke a ***** right in front of someone and they will continue to stare blankly at you until you walk away.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
This is what I thought when I saw that The Incredible Hulk was one of this year's most pirated films. I think's it's because it's the worst Marvel Studios film, but people still want to see it before The Avengers, so they just pirated it...

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
I actually didn't see the ending to this comic. When the punchline kicked in, it gave me a chuckle. Good one, but still sad that so many would pirate a game like that. You would think that these gamers would consider behaving since gaming companies are trying to come up with ways to stop piracy or 'sneaky' tactics to rip them off.. which now gamers are being the ones ripped off. Had to say it.
I like to call it karma, and i like your icon by the way.

I <3 Cteno!