The Big P

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ElPatron said:
Yeah, I'm sure we should all give some slack to everything.
Oooh, strawman and false equivalence fallacy in close proximity.

Using commonly accepted terminology=air traffic control. Gotcha.

You also screwed up the quotes initially, which was just funny after trying to bust my chops.

But you fought really hard to miss that point, and I guess congrats.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Using commonly accepted terminology=air traffic control. Gotcha.
It is not "commonly accepted terminology": if you are working with numbers, it's not called "pedantry", it is called "doing your job like you should".

Point missed?

More like "not believing in the 4 million pirated copies because I have seen no evidence that can show that the numbers they acquired are correct".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
mike1921 said:
Yes, a corporation's job is to make money. Anything that doesn't lead to making money directly or indirectly or maintaining income they already have is a waste of their time. Especially when you're a publicly traded corporation and have share holders to answer to.
You mean the shareholders whose big concerns are piracy and the perceived loss?

Gee, why would those shareholders find DRM and other attempts to fight piracy to be a good thing?

The problem here is that you're again operating from the point of view that they don't see it as a profit maintaining gesture. They do. The shareholders do. I'm sorry, I just don't see why you don't seem to get that.

See, I see no reason to try to work around people who are honestly that stupid where they want money but don't understand they're not the only ones who value it.
Again, setting everyone up who has a different philosophy as stupid.

The problem is, they don't have to think any different than they do to understand people value money. They're just not looking at it exactly as you. I doubt calling the people who actually oppose you stupid is likely to change things, either.

Ofcourse the world would be a better place if we as a whole punished publishers and developers for trying to pull things like that. A customer base that can accurately and actively respond to problematic changes with boycotts that lose large amounts of sales could be an incredible force for good in the industry. Also, if they only knew than at least the biggest obstacle would be to convince them that they shouldn't give their money to those corporations. Sure, there's pretty high odds most people wouldn't but do you honestly doubt that there isn't a single person who bought mass effect 2 but wouldn't if they were aware of project 10 dollar? Or that if everyone was informed about sopa that certain companies would lose some sales? At least in that ideal world awareness wouldn't be the biggest issue and you could try to convince everyone.
You don't need a single person. You need thousands at the very least. And you need to overcome the momentum of the buyers who did know, were outraged, and purchased anyway. Time and time again, the people calling for boycotts even wind up purchasing anyway. "Boycott" is a worthless word in gaming, because people will buy anyway. People who are furious will buy. People who don't know will buy, and probably would buy anyway.

Lost sales are equal to real sales? Yes lost sales seem like a negative side. Like even if I do think they're not fucking liars , a lost sale is a lost sale. If you get enough people (an extremely daunting, maybe even absolutely impossible task) to pirate instead of buy they'll stop turning a profit
Which is still lost if the companies and the industry as a whole thinks the only reason you won't buy the game is that you can get it for free.

No I don't think that. But you are challenging pretty much everything I say
Because you're being illogical at best and disingenuous at worst.

Well here's the thing, if you could get it easily alone why can't multi-million dollar corporations do it?
Well here's the thing, if millions of people can agree that piracy is stealing, why can't you do it?

Again, loaded language. What you mean is, "If you happen to agree with me, why don't they?" That's a lot easier to answer.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
mike1921 said:
Yes, a corporation's job is to make money. Anything that doesn't lead to making money directly or indirectly or maintaining income they already have is a waste of their time. Especially when you're a publicly traded corporation and have share holders to answer to.
You mean the shareholders whose big concerns are piracy and the perceived loss?

Gee, why would those shareholders find DRM and other attempts to fight piracy to be a good thing?

The problem here is that you're again operating from the point of view that they don't see it as a profit maintaining gesture. They do. The shareholders do. I'm sorry, I just don't see why you don't seem to get that.
No I totally understand that it's an attempt to maintain profit. I'm not even against reasonable DRM measures against it. I'm saying that when they report a lost sales number as identical to their pirated copies number they are lying through their fucking teeth and I have no sympathy for them for the lost sales that actually are the result of piracy if they make statements like that
See, I see no reason to try to work around people who are honestly that stupid where they want money but don't understand they're not the only ones who value it.
Again, setting everyone up who has a different philosophy as stupid.
The problem is, they don't have to think any different than they do to understand people value money. They're just not looking at it exactly as you. I doubt calling the people who actually oppose you stupid is likely to change things, either.
Yes, having certain beliefs could make you stupid, easily. And yes, the philosophy that if you'll take it for free you'll take it for $60 is monumentally stupid. Like, am I really arguing this? That lower prices raises transactions? Am I supposed to take that philosophy seriously? Than what is stupidity? Tell me something that can be stupid in the world where I'm supposed to take that seriously.

Quite frankly I'd use different wordings if you were one of them, but you're not, and you seem fairly intelligent and I don't need to convince you that every pirated copy isn't a lost sale. Even trying to explain it to them would just be covering bases though, still thoroughly convinced they're complete liars
Ofcourse the world would be a better place if we as a whole punished publishers and developers for trying to pull things like that. A customer base that can accurately and actively respond to problematic changes with boycotts that lose large amounts of sales could be an incredible force for good in the industry. Also, if they only knew than at least the biggest obstacle would be to convince them that they shouldn't give their money to those corporations. Sure, there's pretty high odds most people wouldn't but do you honestly doubt that there isn't a single person who bought mass effect 2 but wouldn't if they were aware of project 10 dollar? Or that if everyone was informed about sopa that certain companies would lose some sales? At least in that ideal world awareness wouldn't be the biggest issue and you could try to convince everyone.
You don't need a single person. You need thousands at the very least. And you need to overcome the momentum of the buyers who did know, were outraged, and purchased anyway. Time and time again, the people calling for boycotts even wind up purchasing anyway. "Boycott" is a worthless word in gaming, because people will buy anyway. People who are furious will buy. People who don't know will buy, and probably would buy anyway.
Yes I'm aware you need thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands.

Yes, I know people signing up for boycotts for franchises won't help and no one does and gamers really do need to work at that,
Lost sales are equal to real sales? Yes lost sales seem like a negative side. Like even if I do think they're not fucking liars , a lost sale is a lost sale. If you get enough people (an extremely daunting, maybe even absolutely impossible task) to pirate instead of buy they'll stop turning a profit
Which is still lost if the companies and the industry as a whole thinks the only reason you won't buy the game is that you can get it for free.
If piracy were to shown to correlate to how much intrusive DRM was put in they'd probably recognize it...

No I don't think that. But you are challenging pretty much everything I say
Because you're being illogical at best and disingenuous at worst.
Odd how convinced you are that corporations are being genuine while I'm not.
Well here's the thing, if you could get it easily alone why can't multi-million dollar corporations do it?
Well here's the thing, if millions of people can agree that piracy is stealing, why can't you do it?

Again, loaded language. What you mean is, "If you happen to agree with me, why don't they?" That's a lot easier to answer.[/quote]

I agree. If I pirate a game I would probably have no qualms taking it from a physical store because my one desire in me acquiring the game is that the dev/pub loses money. If I pirate I have malicious intents , I'm not doing it because I'm being restricted by the amount of money I have or because the game is too pricy for my blood, I'm doing it because I hate the pub....or I already own it and lost the cd key.

No, that is not what I mean . I'm asking for a justification for a statement where pirated copies could just be assumed to be lost sales in a 1:1 ratio that the average 13 year old wouldn't realize the absurdity of

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ElPatron said:
It is not "commonly accepted terminology": if you are working with numbers, it's not called "pedantry", it is called "doing your job like you should".
It is commonly accepted terminology, it is used everywhere. That is extreme pedantry, I'm sorry.

Point missed?
I think you did miss the point. Oh well, apology accepted.

More like "not believing in the 4 million pirated copies because I have seen no evidence that can show that the numbers they acquired are correct".
"And arguing it with someone who has said the same thing, even after they said the same thing."

Yes, I get it. You are trying to tell me how much you believe in same details I mentioned, all while arguing against extremely petty minutia. You done now?