The Big P

Dec 14, 2009
theultimateend said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Pedanticism aside...

I agree with you. I believe piracy causes negative effects, but like I said, whether those effects are large enough to be worth taking action against or to just count as inevitable losses is a different matter.

Publisher responses to piracy have been terrible, punishing those who don't pirate more than those who do.

Piracy isn't going away, it never will. There will always be those who feel entitled to something without actually paying for it, and will spin that ideology to any angle to 'justify' it.

Like you said, we just need to look at Steam for how it's done right.
While I disagree that it is Pedantic (perhaps it was in your case because you didn't mean it like that, but usually people treat it like a scourge that must be cleansed), I do agree with everything else you've said :p.

I've always been the kind of guy who looks at an issue and thinks "What is the root cause?"

Basically why try and treat the symptoms when you can just treat the cause? I'd much rather never get the flu than keep treating it after I get it (not that this is currently an option).

Edit: Oh my lord...I think I just made the world's best cup of coffee...
Totally agree (except for the coffee thing, my tea is better).

I studied Criminology at university, which is a social science that focuses on crime and the causes of crime.

Did the thief steal a loaf of bread beacause he wasn't getting any support from the state?

Are areas where a large number of ethnic minorities crime hot spots that way because of the social segregation that has taken place?

It's never cut and dry.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
To be fair I agree with this guy....

I.Muir said:
Pirates again, when did this become a big deal
I thought the bigger deal was being punished for not being a pirate
Shouldn't we focus on eradicating the unjust punishment of people who actually buy their games (I'm looking at you EA!).

It seems people are losing sight of the real threat, excessively corrupted corporate types -.-

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
lRookiel said:
To be fair I agree with this guy....

I.Muir said:
Pirates again, when did this become a big deal
I thought the bigger deal was being punished for not being a pirate
Shouldn't we focus on eradicating the unjust punishment of people who actually buy their games (I'm looking at you EA!).

It seems people are losing sight of the real threat, excessively corrupted corporate types -.-
I do admit that DRM has lead me to stop purchasing almost anything from a variety of companies.

Ubisoft hasn't seen money from me in ages.

Just about anytime an awesome sale hits for a game and I find out it has always on DRM I pass on it. Rather just spend that money on Magic cards, they never hurt me :(.

Steam is nice because its utterly reasonable. Physical copies of games can only be played in one place at the same time, Steam can only be played in one place at the same time.

About my only complaint is I wish you could send in data for your family members so that you can have X instances of different games running.

I'm married and would like my Wife to have access to the other 199 games I'm not playing at the moment. But every program has its faults and room to improve.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Absolutely normal. Download - taste - decide - buy or not. Why nobody ever tries to think: what percent of downloaders would actually buy a game if they wouldn't be able to download it? I suppose, 5% at most. And THAT would be the real amount of money lost by publisher/developer.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Grenge Di Origin said:
Dango said:
I'm assuming a lot of the people who pirated it did so to see if their computer could run it, not that it's a good excuse.
Especially with the existence of <url=http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx>this website.
That site doesn't really work with Crysis 2.
It said for me I could play it normally. Seems like 2 FPS is playable...
Good thing I got it from a friend just to test it.

There are many other games that give false positive results.
It says playable and above the minimum requirements, jet you get less than 15 FPS. That is not playable.

And a bit on topic.

Crysis 2 was terrible only compared the Crysis 1. But compared to the other shooter that came out last year, it's the work of God.
When not compared to anything but just judged on the good/bad things, it's just "meh". Neither good, nor bad.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Crysis 2 was a fantastic game. I have no idea when the bar was raised so high that Crysis 2 could be considered a "lowering". The original Crysis? Eh, maybe, but it's less of a quality drop and more of a design ethics switch. Crysis was cream of the crop of shooters this year, for sure.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Well, I liked the game anyway, and managed to get it half off two months after it came out along with Assassins Creed.

Sure it didn't have the "Holy shit this game looks amazing!" graphics the first game managed to shock people with, but by it's own merit it was a solid and exciting game with intense set pieces, that were in my mine better than the first game, and a multiplayer that didn't feel like it was tacked on like the many other games that carried it. (including Crysis 1)

As for the P-word, I have never pirated a game and don't ever intend to. In my opinion, if you don't have the money to buy the game on release date, wait a couple of months, or maybe even weeks for the case of L.A. Noire going 75% off on steam, to get the money to buy it!

Feb 13, 2008
Distributors: OMG PIRATES!
Pirates: OMG NOT STEALING!
Consumers: OMG SOPA/PIPA!

The rest of the world: Do they all say "arr"?

Feb 13, 2008
theultimateend said:
And still to say Piracy causes a negative effect "no doubt about it" is no different than saying Drugs are evil "no doubt about it".
I think it'd be fair to say that Drugs cause a negative effect "no doubt about it" though. There might be some degree of difference, but I've gotta side with Daystar on that point.

The thing is that Piracy (or its brothers Resale, Captive Audience and Monopoly) are part of Capitalism that grows as Retail does. If you've set a price on a product that someone wants, and they can't get it - there will be thefts. Whether material (stealing) or immaterial(copying).

Some of these thefts may lead to increased sales afterwards, some may lead to lost sales - but it's never been a one-one ratio. Especially when there's no chance of refund for a broken/sub-standard product.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
theultimateend said:
And still to say Piracy causes a negative effect "no doubt about it" is no different than saying Drugs are evil "no doubt about it".
I think it'd be fair to say that Drugs cause a negative effect "no doubt about it" though. There might be some degree of difference, but I've gotta side with Daystar on that point.
They also have positive effects, like Alice in Wonderland, The Doors of Perception, Fear and Loathing and around 90% of the albums worth listening to from the past three decades. So the analogy is either bad, or extremely accurate, depending on your stance on piracy.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
theultimateend said:

The thing is that Piracy (or its brothers Resale, Captive Audience and Monopoly) are part of Capitalism that grows as Retail does. If you've set a price on a product that someone wants, and they can't get it - there will be thefts. Whether material (stealing) or immaterial(copying).

Some of these thefts may lead to increased sales afterwards, some may lead to lost sales - but it's never been a one-one ratio. Especially when there's no chance of refund for a broken/sub-standard product.
That line "set something people want at a price they can't afford" is basically the point I fall on.

There is a fallacy that a loss equates to the binary opposite of a sale.

1 Million pirated copies is not 1 Million lost sales.

Likewise there is no data to suggest that the advertising power of piracy doesn't work out to close the same as the actual people who would buy if piracy was negated (if such a group exists).

As a child I had no income so I pirated, if I made the mistake of listening to advertising or something else and used the little allowance I had I could be stuck with a terrible game for months. However if I pirated it first and saw if it was worth buying I netted a 1:1 ratio of good games to purchases.

Does everyone do this? I >highly< doubt it, but I similarly doubt that people would buy games if they couldn't pirate them. The nature of no-returns has made games a gamble that is not worth the price of admittance. Steam has circumvented this problem by making the price discounted enough to match the gamble.

As someone else said, it is a multifaceted problem that has no certainties in it. The only concerete observations are the ones that are made obviously. Piracy is not purchasing, or red is not blue, or anything like that. Otherwise the rest is circumstantial at best and rarely backed up with data.

Games are not food, people do not need them, as such making it impossible to steal them doesn't mean you'll bring in actual customers. I'm willing to accept the argument that if people can't afford a luxury item they should just not do it, albeit this ignore social injustices and the nature of class societies but taking a nice arbitrary hardcore stance on things is fun sometimes.

The only thing standing between developers and publishers and actual profits is themselves. The passing of blame is only done because it is easy and feels good.

As for drugs, I don't do them (not a moral thing, just not interested, I've got other hobbies that keep me busy), but most of the negative side effects are societal. The actual physical detriment is not much different than other everyday experiences. Fast food, car exhaust, pollution from coal plants or other sources. Drinking hot drinks from plastics, plastics, radiation. We are surrounded by a world that is doing some pretty negative stuff to us constantly, most of the worst examples of drug problems are caused almost in their entirety by society.

I'm not pro-piracy or pro-drug use, I just don't think either gets legitimately discussed in just about any place they are brought up. That sort of thing bothers me, which is why I pop up :p.

Piracy is a fancy scape goat, but its not much more than that. (as far as I've been shown thus far)

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
well... the comic IS funny... but to my opinion I actually enjoy that game... it's better than the first BY FAR! I hated Crysis for many reasons, but this installment is every way Superior than the first!

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Grey Carter said:
theultimateend said:
They also have positive effects, like Alice in Wonderland, The Doors of Perception, Fear and Loathing and around 90% of the albums worth listening to from the past three decades. So the analogy is either bad, or extremely accurate, depending on your stance on piracy.
There's also a point that nobody seems to bring up.
A pirated copy equals a fraction of a lost sale, sure ... but it might also equal a larger fraction of a gained sale for the game's sequel.

You can't be a fan of something you never experienced.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ElPatron said:
maths are maths, it's an exact science - if yo are cooking up an estimated number, you can't prove it' "right"
Yay pedantry?

Another 4 million pirates without nobody noticing them - somewhat far fetched
Said the opposite, dude.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
mike1921 said:
Seriously? You're asking how they could see it as appealing even though it doesn't lead to any money? Have you looked at a single argument on their behalf?

The logic that because you're willing to take something free you're willing to spend money on it is ridiculous. Like I haven no idea how anyone could honestly defend that
And yet, people do. Not just the corporations you think are lying, but casual folks, even people who post here.

You assume everyone is as "reasonable" as you. That's a flawed assumption.

Yes in a sense. They vote on the influence of the game and how much they are interested in it. I'm saying it's impossible to get enough people aware that say...It's made by a company that wants to censor the internet or their DRM is ridiculous. It's impossible to get an effective boycott going where enough people who would otherwise buy the game don't that it actually significantly hurts the publisher.
Another flawed assumption, that people don't do what you want because they don't care, or that they would do different if they were aware.

Look at all the people on here who have complained about Origin, and followed it up, effectively with "But I need MASS EFFECT 3!!!!"

And the same was true of Mass Effect 2. "Screw project ten dollar...MASS EFFECT!"

Look, I get that the world would be abetter place if everyone was "just like me." It's assumptive and highly idealistic to think people would act different if "only they knew."

Ofcourse it is. That's why you need to get the negative side high enough.
There is no negative side to piracy when the publishers see every pirated copy as a lost sale. I know, I know, you don't see it that way and don't understand how they do, but denying THAT they do is just silly.

If they're intelligent they'd be aware that piracy could mean a variety of things,
Again with the loaded diction and reasoning.

Are you challenging that people have pirated games because they don't like the developer or because there's one interesting aspect about the game but it's bad? Or even BECAUSE it's bad?
No! Have you even been reading my posts? Or do you just think "this poster disagrees with me; ergo this poster disagrees with me on every imaginable facet?"

My stance from the beginning has been that piracy does not count as a negative to the games industry. Rather, it tells them X number of people want the game. Further, to them is says that those X people would have paid if only they had no other choice.

I am not condoning the idea. I am saying the probable message of the piracy you are advocating is such.

And do they really think 4 million people pirated the second one because it really had that much more interest on it than other games?
Yes! That's the whole point here!

Like even beating COD?
Something like 90% of the industry wants to think they have a COD killer. Why do you think this would be any different?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yay pedantry?
Yeah, I'm sure we should all give some slack to everything.

Traffic control towers are slacking off and planes are crashing? Too bad.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Another 4 million pirates without nobody noticing them - somewhat far fetched
Said the opposite, dude.
Then we agree that the 4 million is excessive.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
People thinking Crysis 2 has bad AI should Youtube search for Crysis 1 AI. You can get some pretty good videos of stupid AI in that game as well.

Personally I liked Crysis 2 more because the suit was more fun to use. You actually felt like you had a Nano suit now unlike in the first game. Armor mode? More like, 24/7 mode for the entire game. Even then you could be dropped pretty quick on harder settings. From almost any firearm as well.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
mike1921 said:
Seriously? You're asking how they could see it as appealing even though it doesn't lead to any money? Have you looked at a single argument on their behalf?
Yes, a corporation's job is to make money. Anything that doesn't lead to making money directly or indirectly or maintaining income they already have is a waste of their time. Especially when you're a publicly traded corporation and have share holders to answer to.
The logic that because you're willing to take something free you're willing to spend money on it is ridiculous. Like I haven no idea how anyone could honestly defend that
And yet, people do. Not just the corporations you think are lying, but casual folks, even people who post here.

You assume everyone its as "reasonable" as you. That's a flawed assumption.
See, I see no reason to try to work around people who are honestly that stupid where they want money but don't understand they're not the only ones who value it.
Yes in a sense. They vote on the influence of the game and how much they are interested in it. I'm saying it's impossible to get enough people aware that say...It's made by a company that wants to censor the internet or their DRM is ridiculous. It's impossible to get an effective boycott going where enough people who would otherwise buy the game don't that it actually significantly hurts the publisher.
Another flawed assumption, that people don't do what you want because they don't care, or that they would do different if they were aware.

Look at all the people on here who have complained about Origin, and followed it up, effectively with "But I need MASS EFFECT 3!!!!"

And the same was true of Mass Effect 2. "Screw project ten dollar...MASS EFFECT!"

Look, I get that the world would be abetter place if everyone was "just like me." It's assumptive and highly idealistic to think people would act different if "only they knew."
Ofcourse the world would be a better place if we as a whole punished publishers and developers for trying to pull things like that. A customer base that can accurately and actively respond to problematic changes with boycotts that lose large amounts of sales could be an incredible force for good in the industry. Also, if they only knew than at least the biggest obstacle would be to convince them that they shouldn't give their money to those corporations. Sure, there's pretty high odds most people wouldn't but do you honestly doubt that there isn't a single person who bought mass effect 2 but wouldn't if they were aware of project 10 dollar? Or that if everyone was informed about sopa that certain companies would lose some sales? At least in that ideal world awareness wouldn't be the biggest issue and you could try to convince everyone.
Ofcourse it is. That's why you need to get the negative side high enough.
There is no negative side to piracy when the publishers see every pirated copy as a lost sale. I know, I know, you don't see it that way and don't understand how they do, but denying THAT they do is just silly.
Lost sales are equal to real sales? Yes lost sales seem like a negative side. Like even if I do think they're not fucking liars , a lost sale is a lost sale. If you get enough people (an extremely daunting, maybe even absolutely impossible task) to pirate instead of buy they'll stop turning a profit
Are you challenging that people have pirated games because they don't like the developer or because there's one interesting aspect about the game but it's bad? Or even BECAUSE it's bad?
No! Have you even been reading my posts? Or do you just think "this poster disagrees with me; ergo this poster disagrees with me on every imaginable facet?"
No I don't think that. But you are challenging pretty much everything I say
My stance from the beginning has been that piracy does not count as a negative to the games industry. Rather, it tells them X number of people want the game. Further, to them is says that those X people would have paid if only they had no other choice.

I am not condoning the idea. I am saying the probable message of the piracy you are advocating is such.
Well here's the thing, if you could get it easily alone why can't multi-million dollar corporations do it?

Like even beating COD?
Something like 90% of the industry wants to think they have a COD killer. Why do you think this would be any different?
[/quote] Yea I guess that's a reasonable delusion to have.