The Big Picture: Age of Heroes

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The Dark Knight Rises is a bad example, unlike Batman and Robin it made a huge amount of money compared to its budget. And unlike Man of Steel it was well received by critics and audiences.

But I think I agree on the video's main point.

EDIT: I also think this could be an interesting response to the A Dose of Buckley video on it from a few months back, given that his main argument was that the increasingly serialised method of creating these films would put people off. Like if you had to watch Avengers 2 to watch Captain America 3 and you wasn't very interested in Avengers 2, you'll just watch neither.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I don't care much about when or if it's gonna end. I know of they go, but that time, I will no longer care, like the cop action movies from the 80's, which I love, but no longer crave.

But it's interesting to think how far they will go with this. Considering they're mostly adapting stories from 20 years ago or even longer than that.

Will they make it to superior Spiderman/Iron Man?

New 52?

That's another big difference between this fad and previous ones. Adaptation. Spaghetti Westerns weren't adaptations of other media. Some horrors movies were, but it was never the focus, and most of them are original, same for action flicks, so, it's interesting the newest fad is based on adaptations and rarely the spotlight is in original super hero movies... which reminds me, I'm not from the states, so is Meteor Man original or is an adaptation?

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Evonisia said:
The Dark Knight Rises is a bad example, unlike Batman and Robin it made a huge amount of money compared to its budget. And unlike Man of Steel it was well received by critics and audiences.

Man of Steel recieved mixed reaction, didn't it? Sort of half and half?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
RatGouf said:
I think it depends on how much the reboots suck in order not to be profitable....
Marvel's already said they'll be James Bonding it with their Characters (at least as far as Iron Man goes)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
IOwnTheSpire said:
Evonisia said:

Man of Steel recieved mixed reaction, didn't it? Sort of half and half?
Yes, near enough. I think Man of Steel would have been (and was) a bad example, too, but I was being charitable.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Earthfield said:
That's another big difference between this fad and previous ones. Adaptation. Spaghetti Westerns weren't adaptations of other media.
The hell they weren't. The Western dime novel is the original American pulp format, predating both comic books and the science fiction/fantasy/horror pulp magazines like Amazing Stories and Weird Tales. There's a reason one of the first films ever made [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0000439/] was a Western.

petef201

Aug 31, 2010
I can see what he was meaning with the comparison of more modern versions of Batman and Robin, but think he was wide of the mark by only using his own opinions and it seemed another trolly attempt to have a go at fans of those movies. B&R was both a critical and commercial flop; if it had made money then WB's theory that kids and comic fans will watch anything could have us in a very different superhero film world now.

By comparison Dark Knight Rises may have been mixed critically but made a metric f**k-tonne of money, same goes for X-Men 3 and I think Man of Steel did ok. Regardless of your opinion Spider-Man 3 did more damage to its franchise than Amazing 1 as it made Sony reboot it, despite doing well financially. So the fact Bob left that off his list is a bit ridiculous. That said Amazing 2 is fair game due to Sony's reaction to it.

Still end of the day it's his video series and his opinion, and despite the fan-boy baiting at the end (which I realise I've whole-heartedly taken) another very enjoyable video!

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I'm beginning to think online journalism needs a new ad revenue algorithm. Like how youtube changed it from clicks to length watching video.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I'm not the kind of guy who's gonna whine that there are too many superhero movies. My main concern is that most of them, the ones being made outside of Marvel Studios/Disney, might not be good. We've seen a lot of bad movies from horror movie reboots to toy franchises being made without any understanding for the source material or any passion to make the damn thing. I don't need to mention names, those dead horses have been beaten enough. But, with certain movies like the Fantastic Four reboot and Batman V. Superman approaching with an air of uncertainty, it makes fans of these characters and comic fans in general very nervous. Plus, as Bob mentioned, a lot can happen between now and the release dates of these movies. We may not get every single one of them listed on Comics Alliance's chart.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Now I'm talking from an outsider perspective. The main reason super hero are movies are working is because the audience that watch those movies pay to do so. Look at the movie theaters, at least in my country, it is no longer about the movie, but it is about the spectacle. If the movie is not some grand juxtaposed presentation of explosions, make up and CGI the audience simply goes and say: well I can rent this movie later.
Also super hero are a sure bet. They are IP's which have been used in Comics, TV shows, cartoons, movies and video games. I believe people are getting lazy and afraid at the same time. Lazy because they want to watch stories that are predictable and afraid because a movie ticket or a video game is one expensive choice. People don't want to spend money on something they might regret later.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
I think the real interesting question will be whether this is a true Superhero age, or if this is MARVEL's age. Let's face it, if Batman versus Superman tanks (IMHO possible, but not likely if only for how many people will go see it because they expect the trainwreck) WB/DC might pull back from their plans for a Justice League universe. That leaves Marvel's properties as the only hot ones at the box office. Based on all the leaked discussions from the Sony break-in, seems like Sony isn't really looking to go anywhere with Spiderman now, so that leaves Fox and Marvel films alone making these things. And Fox is making one film, what, every two-three years? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Side note: I always find it fun when MovieBob gets so worked up his accent starts slipping back in.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Rises has an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes, took over a billion dollars at the box office and was nominated for several awards. Any way you cut it, it definitely wasn't a turkey. Hell, up to the point where Batman's taken to the pit I think it's a better movie than Dark Knight.

Personally I think it'll fade. Big, continuity driven universes will get cumbersome, especially considering actor changes. How are studios going to deal with that? Kill off profitable characters? Recast- if so, will there be an in-universe explanation or are we going James Bond style? It's all going to get messy and I think that could put a lot of people off. Maybe not so much that it all goes away completely, but it will get less profitable.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel were not bad films. Nowhere NEAR as bad as X Men 3 and X Men Origins: Wolverine (I would put Fantastic 4 in here, but...heck, Fantastic 4 and Silver Surfer too). Rises was disappointing, but it wasn't going to be anything else after the masterpiece that was The Dark Knight. Man of Steel could have been better, yes, but as someone who doesn't like Superman (though I am being persuaded that he is a better hero than I give him credit for), I enjoyed it.

I get Bob's point, but Rises and Man of Steel didn't need to be name-dropped as they were well received by fans and critics (moreso than the others mentioned, anyway). However, I am not looking forward to Batman vs Superman. It's turning into Justice League, but it won't work as the characters they are putting on screen won't resonate with the audience very well. Worked for Marvel due to their commitment to the characters individually, but this looks like WB are putting Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to the forefront and saying 'Oh yeah, there are these other guys too'. They REALLY need to reconsider what they're doing with the separation of their TV heroes and their film heroes. I like Grant Gustin as Flash, but will I like Ezra Miller? Probably not, as it'll be a completely different Flash that will only have 2 hours to prove himself NEXT TO BATMAN, SUPERMAN, AND WONDER WOMAN.

Sorry, rant over. Whilst there's so many superhero films at the moment, only individual strands will end. Warner Bros, with their approach to Justice League, may well kill off interest in their films what with their rush to make Justice League.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm under no illusions that the DC/Marvel boom is going to last forever - maybe longer than I'm expecting or even than I'm alive for, but it will end, and even then superheroes in general won't completely die since there's plenty of content to mine or tropes to subvert and rework. The question though is what ends up replacing all this and I think it has to do with the zeitgeist or subconscious desire - right now, I think that's our dual fascination of personal narrative (you, yes YOU, can be anything you want if you work for it/are the Chosen One) and evolution or at least technical and cultural progress ("Homo-Superior" and surpassing human limits). Before, it was the idea of exploration and uncharted country - cowboys and astronauts. Now that we've figuratively shrunk the world, we either look further outward into deep space or turn inward and analyze ourselves and what we're capable of in terms of strength, morality, and influence. As far as I'm concerned, asking what's next in pop culture goes in hand with what comes next in the culture at large...hell if I know and good on anyone who's managed to figure it out and is writing it right now.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
*quietly* I still think Daredevil was pretty decent.

Now, Punisher, on the other hand...

mgs16925

Mar 28, 2008
Honestly, what I think is going to kill the genre is the budgets. One of these doesn't have to bomb to make a loss, it just has to not be a worldwide super hit.