The Big Picture: Age of Heroes

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
There is such thing as too much of a good thing....
I fear this over saturation of super hero movies is going to kill the genre.

Tojumaru

Oct 17, 2014
daxterx2005 said:
There is such thing as too much of a good thing....
I fear this over saturation of super hero movies is going to kill the genre.
I am actually hoping it will. They are going overboard with this and precious few other outings slip through the cracks. And I don't get precisely one thing about MovieBob: he keeps bashing Dark Knight Rises(which was better than the Dark Knight, a film that stopped making sense halfway through) and Man of Steel. But not Ironman 2 and 3(2 was downright atrocious), the 2 Thor films(uniteresting and frankly not weird enough, Spiderman 3 or Watchmen(which was vapid and taken down by Taxi Driver riffs and some atrocious acting).
Don't paint me as a DC fanboy or Nolan fanboy or whatevs, but most of these films seem ludicrous and crass to me. Actually, I do like DC more, but strictly based on the amazing animated universe. Hell, The Dark Knight Returns is my favorite comic book film, bar none. I'd actually watch most(if not all) of them, had they been animated, because the authors would just have more room to breathe and no need for compromise. That's where the superhero genre really shines, where it reflects the style and beauty of the comics themselves. Marvel, DC, deal with this, I know you can. You can even crossover.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I still like GL more than MOS and and the Noland films. AM1-2 is only a bit worse than the first 2. It'd be nice if they didn't try so hard to dick with the fiction and character designs...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
WolfThomas said:
I just want a Nova film now.
That's ultimately my takeaway.

I want a Nova movie BADLY. He's easily my favorite Marvel character...

...So if Marvel does want all those clicks, I'll probably be the person doing all the clicking. Make it happen, Marvel.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I didn't understand the significance of the Avengers movie until I saw my toddler cousin playing with his Ironman action figure.
My first reaction was that he really needs a Spider-Man toy like me when I grew up.

For me, all the Avengers were B-list heroes. My favorite Marvel characters were Spider-Man and the X-men. But they got bought up before the MCU could get traction. Now the new generation is gonna be completely different.

I mean we can easily see the day where Captain America and Ironman out class the likes of Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
I am still watching (and enjoying) the 1966-68 TV series of Batman but even in the second series you can see Adam West and Burt Ward starting not to have as much fun. The actors playing the villians are overtaking them.

I just do not get the time to keep up with all these movies and my cinema "comfort food" is Hong Kong movies from the 70s/80s and 90s.

The main story in Chinese movies that seems to get remade again and again is Journey to the West. Due to it being based on a book published in the 15th Century there are currently 2 blockbuster trilogies being made. Plus all the versions of TV they seem to remake every ten years. My favourite version of the story is still the 70s version made in Japan and dubbed into English for the UK and Australia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zOFAD6e9Bk One of the few shows they actually went back and added the "lost" episodes that were never screened on first run with the original voice cast.

Apart from the second Nolan Batman movie there is nothing really that has really broad appeal, it seems to be getting more and more niche. I would like the DC movies to be handled a bit better, maybe even a Golden Age movie but everyone wants the big explosions and such.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
Uncanny Doom said:
What's going to make or break this stuff is going to be the inevitable moment that comes when actors need to be recast.
Remember when Don Cheadle showed up for Iron Man 2 and everybody forgot that he used to be several shades lighter and pounds heavier? Oh, and also named Terrence Howard?