The Big Picture: All The World Is Waiting

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Wow that's really something. I had no idea Wonder Woman had such an interesting creation and origin story.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
So...what was the big picture, again? That we need a Wonder Woman movie, or that we need a sincere re-imagining of women's lib?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I don't have a problem with the desire for an empowerment-driven, radically-politiized superhero...

BUT HOLY SHIT THE CHARACTER CREATION AND IDEAS BEHIND IT ARE HORRIBLE... Seriously, this guy was brilliant, but had a personality disorder, where his views and opinions were shaped by his job and his home life. He might have had two women, but it's pretty obvious from extended reading (I read up on his "homelife" a year or so ago), that he enjoyed being dominated by women, and the bondage-centric early comics, as well as the "ruling class" philosophy were a manifestation of that. So it doesn't take a psychiatrist to figure out who willingly placed themselves on the bottom rung of that household (and who knows what went on behind closed doors), and the fact both women stayed together after his death, pretty much shows the relationships were all mutually enjoyed.

But then, like Bob said, he was a radical, not really enlightened. I like the sounds of the character when she was still politicaly driven though.

However, these people were way ahead of their time with their bisexual polyamorous relationships, which were tolerated because he was rich and no one really understood the concept.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Swaki said:
D0WNT0WN said:
Protip: Wonder Woman did have a brilliant animated film released in 2009 direct to DVD. Just imagine if the Wonder Woman material got the Batman Animated Series treatment, or in other words: It is quite a movie which doesnt hold back with its message and maturity.

(Somebody gets decapitated and quite a few people die).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186373/

Also if you cant wait for the Green Lantern Movie they made an Animated movie called Green Lantern: First Flight.
is it as good as Batman : Under the red hood, or at least any where near it, cause frankly i thought that "under the red hood" was a mark hamill away from being perfect (the other guy does a good job), and it the best batman movie made, and since i have to order these kinds of movies home from the UK at quite the cost and i have never been a wonder woman fan i would like a little more detail from such a handsome guy like you ;).
More info.

Steve Trevo a Pilot crashes on the island and during the commotion an immortal baddie escapes and Princess Diana wins the right to recapture him as Wonder Woman. They go to America (in Wonder Womans invisble Jet) and there is alot of fighting as the baddie sends creatures to kill Diana and Steve Trevor. There are big Lord Of The Ring esque battles, blood, social commentary and a trip to Hades where the baddie attempts to reclaim his lost power.

And if all that doesnt sell it it has Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor and Keri Russell does a fantastic job portraying Princess Diana. She really hits the empowered female voice and Fillion hits his mark as the slightly sexist but loveable Pilot.

And when Steve Trevor awakes tied up on the island by the Amazonians there is one of the funniest one liners in an animated film I have heard in a while.

Also flattery will only get you so far.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
"Comics are wierd" sums up why I can't take them seriously and never read them.

However, I find Bob's musings on the subject to be facinating. At the very least I've got a new story to win bar bets with.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Entertaining. Although speaking definitively about Comic book canon is pretty much an exercise in futility considering how many continuity shifts there are. As Bob pointed out before, that is probably one of the main reasons why comics are a niche market.

Wonder woman is just too weird in her current form to be good subject matter for a popular movie. The mythic background is itself very apocryphal, and the blending with modern technology just makes it weirder. You could do a mythical superhero that comes into the modern era, but to change the mythology radically itself is a step too far.

If they wanted to make a wonder woman movie they would be better off giving her a new backstory to draw in the mainstream audience. Of course this would piss off the fan base, and it's a risk to begin with. Let's not forget the travesty that was the 'Cat Woman' movie. Was that Nolan too?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The background of her creation sure is a good story, but the character itself is not.
Falls into the same unimagiantive pot where superman is.
They just got a man/woman and stuck on every superhuman trait they came up with at the time, plus a silly name and a costume that really emphasizes the absurdity.

I like a good super-hero as much as anyone, but give them some kind of flavor beyond "my superhero is awesome".

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Honestly, I had no idea, and I'm rather interested in this, "True face of wonder woman"

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
I'm enjoying this series. Please do another episode pointing out how people are stupid for believing i something. Loved the episode about food :D

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Ah, women they are domineering feminist crazy girls.

Still another compelling video bob, good work.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
dastardly said:
MovieBob said:
Eh, I didn't mind the costume change.

The original idea of women's empowerment, at least through Marston's presentation, reads more like male wish fulfillment that pays lip service to women's rights. Basically, wrap the story around how women can be strong and cast of chains and blah blah blah... and use that as an excuse to put some eye candy in there for the dudes. An island full of (exclusively) beautiful women untouched by men? Loads of bondage? A superhero built out of legs and cleavage?

I really don't think comics have found the balance between presenting a woman's independent sexuality as power... and just exploiting the sexuality of women with superpowers. Just because a woman's boobs are the source of her power over us as men doesn't mean that they're the rightful symbol of her strength.

(Don't get me wrong. I like boobs. But I also understand wanting to match Wonder Woman's appearance to her alleged ideals.
You need to consider something else also. Part of women?s liberation was also sexual liberation; women in past have been very harshly sexually repressed, not to mention her costume is partially inspired by the Amazonian women. It would not have done well at the time and the statement being made by her character if she had been covered up and her female characteristics downplayed. Although her original drawing aren?t quite the same, she always had pretty much the costume but slowly her boos/hips did get somewhat bigger as what was consider sexually appealing altered.

I don?t mind the costume change either but only because she has slightly different connotations now, her original design and origins are not quite as relevant as they once were and mean somewhat different things.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Used to hate watching his videos, now I can't get enough.
Rock on, Bob!

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Going solely off the looks based on the images shown, I think that chick who was the love interest of Ben Stiller's character in Mystery Men would fit the role.

Speaking purely from facial appearance anyway.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure I like where Wonder Woman came from, what with all the bondage and everything *shiver*, but I certainly don't like where she's going. I liked her best in the DCAU.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I don't know if I'm right but I think the title "All the world is waiting" is a line from the theme song for the Wonder Woman tv show starring Linder Carter (it is a very silly theme song but by the end of season 1 it grew on me, I hated how they changed it in season 3)

EDIT - I asked Movie Bob and he said that the title is indeed a reference to the line from the song. Who else noticed that?