The Big Picture: All The World Is Waiting

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Members of the Escapist Community, hear thee well:

Wonder Woman as written by Gail Simone is golden. Pass it on.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I believe this is one of the best episodes to date!
also the Daria comment saying DAM! made me laugh so hard!

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Yeah...

Weird thing really. If comic books at the time weren't basically US propaganda to improve the moral of the American troops (and ONLY the American troops) Wonder Woman and her amazon family would probably side with the communists of Soviet Russia, who in the area of gender equality were DECADES ahead of the US, allowing, inclusively, female soldiers IN the battlefield.

The funnier part? The American army would probably refuse the help of the sort Wonder Woman could provide. Namely, being a female combatant. She could wrestle three Tigers at once (and I'm not talking about the animal) and still have spare limbs to punch Hitler into the moon, but since she was a woman... who, to the USA of the 40s, meant she was worth less than a black man, (do you know how the African-americans were persecuted in the sixties and seventies? Try to think three decades before that) who were only allowed in the engineering and artillery divisions, because they didn't had the right to die for their country... while women didn't have the right not even to kill for their country.

So yeah...

Dangerious P. Cats

Dec 21, 2008
And now I'm interested in Wonder Woman as a character, dam you Bob, dam you.

On the subject of which are there any self contained stories for Wonder Woman that would be a good start? I've tried collecting comics enough to know that I'm only ever going to be casual reader but if I can get a whole story line in one or two books I'm happy (as I have done with Batman), is this possible with Wonder Woman?

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Bob I think you are making a mistake you see...the nerd community is pretty much hyperaware of Wonder Woman strange origin and I actually I think that what may what kinda hurt her nowaday (that and other factor) among nerds basicly people just can't seem to get around that part and pretty much end up having it being the only thing they seem to see about Wonder Woman and dismiss 70+ year of continuity as totally uninteresting without so much of a glance.

Kinda the "whole batman is gay lulz" joke, but at no point really was phase out by anyone.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
While you could still very easily make the argument it is a male-dominated world, it can certainly be said women are becoming more and more powerful. I just hope if they ever do take over and decide to rule the world that they are nice like Wonder Woman and not mean like...like every single example of a real-life woman given power we've seen so far.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
hey Bob, how come you didn't mention the animated Wonder Woman movie? I saw it premier at NYC Comic Con and it's been available on DVD for close to 2 years now. It was a pretty good movie, in fact a few DC heroes have had good animated movies made, including the green lantern. Too bad they only get direct to DVD release because I think at least a couple of them would hold their own in theaters.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
SandroTheMaster said:
Wonder Woman and her amazon family would probably side with the communists of Soviet Russia, who in the area of gender equality were DECADES ahead of the US, allowing, inclusively, female soldiers IN the battlefield.
They only allowed women because they were running out of men and had to put somebody in a uniform to fight.

then again i think the highest sniper kills on record are held by a Russian woman.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Aiddon said:
another reason she hasn't had a movie: that costume is just too damn silly when worn in live-action. If they went for a sort of centurion look that'd probably work.
No. If Superman can have a successful movie, with his underwear on the outside of his super suit, Wonder Woman can have a successful movie with the swim-wear. Also, it would just have more of a reason for the awesome bullets and bracelets sequences, I'd like to see Keanu try that shit.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
CK76 said:
Then it happens, the Wonder Woman film is announced and the reigns are given to...

...and we weep...
Thankfully Megan already said she wouldn't play Wonder Woman, apparently she just doesn't get her.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Valagetti said:
Used to hate watching his videos, now I can't get enough.
Rock on, Bob!
Me, too! He really gets under your skin after awhile. Not always right per se, but always interesting.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
stinkychops said:
I always thought the villians were more important in making a good movie.

I don't know any wonderwoman villians.
Cheetah = an archaeologist who was turned into a cheetah demon cat person thing.

Giganta = A woman who's super power is to grow to gigantic sizes, though the bigger she gets the dumber she gets.

Dr. Psycho = A psychotic psychic who makes people insane, and I think likes to rape women.

Circe = An ancient goddess level witch who is also an extreme feminist. She once took Wonder Woman's powers and went around the world killing pimps, human traffickers and what not.

Silver Swan = Friend turned enemy, also a cyborg, and can scream really loud.

Wonder Woman has two decent villains, two "fun" ones, and a friend turned evil at one point.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
MaraJade03 said:
Wasn't there a time when she was recon to not being a goddess of some sort, but to being some professional assassin/mercenary taught by some old man or something? Sadly Wonder Woman gets jerked around a lot. I hope one day they get around to doing a movie for her. Hell Even a Justice League would cover it just because she is one of the big three. Or even an animated series on Wonder Woman would be cool. I mean Superman had one and Batman has had like...a lot. At least they did that DC animated Movie for her but I wish there was more.
Well not a retcon so much as, the gods left took their powers and Diana still wanted to save the world so fought an evil egg dude with a samurai sword in an all white costume.... yeah....

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I think the reason that Wonder Woman hasn't gotten a decent movie is because the general movie going audience has a difficult time with strong female characters, particularly in an action film. Now I know there have been exceptions, but they are few and far between. We can accept pushing 60 Bruce Willis or pushing 70 Harrison Ford, but a strong woman? No it is too much.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Sabrestar said:
Battle Catman said:
And no, Megan Fox would not make a good Wonder Woman. Donna Troy possibly, but Diana needs to be tall (6'+) and built like an Olympic athlete. She's an AMAZON for a reason.
The problem which I think is what was being pointed out, is that Hollywood's not likely to follow that line of reasoning, and more likely to use WW as an excuse to slot in the "hottie of the week" to rope in the demographic rather than do justice to the character.

Though it does raise an interesting question as to who's actually qualified to take on the role. I'm not up on Hollywood starlets so I don't know who'd be in the running, but I didn't think there's a huge pool of tall, strong, well-talented, and sufficiently-attractive-in-Hollywood-terms actresses out there. (I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has any suggestions.)
Milla Jovovich = competent dramatic actress and can pull off action scenes. Just get a wig or a box of hair dye.

Morena Baccarin = Incredibly beautiful, and can pull of a sense of wisdom few people actually have while playing a space whore.

Angelina Jolie = A wide range acting ability, tons of awards, does action movies, and yeah.

I can't think of any thing else.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Primus1985 said:
Bob....You really need to take a course in DC history bub.

The first Wonder Woman was Queen Hippolyta who had traveled back in time to the 1940's and taken up her daughters mantle after her actions lead to Diana's death..

Also...WTF her bracelets, tiara, and lasso where forged by the gods to protect her and where givin as rewards for her beating out all other amazons in combat. They wherent chains.

The orignal origin was what bob said. Since then DC has all sorts of ass hat fuckery with their time line. What you said was true, but so was what bob said.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Amund said:
Sabrestar said:
Battle Catman said:
And no, Megan Fox would not make a good Wonder Woman. Donna Troy possibly, but Diana needs to be tall (6'+) and built like an Olympic athlete. She's an AMAZON for a reason.
The problem which I think is what was being pointed out, is that Hollywood's not likely to follow that line of reasoning, and more likely to use WW as an excuse to slot in the "hottie of the week" to rope in the demographic rather than do justice to the character.

Though it does raise an interesting question as to who's actually qualified to take on the role. I'm not up on Hollywood starlets so I don't know who'd be in the running, but I didn't think there's a huge pool of tall, strong, well-talented, and sufficiently-attractive-in-Hollywood-terms actresses out there. (I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has any suggestions.)
Milla Jovovich = competent dramatic actress and can pull off action scenes. Just get a wig or a box of hair dye.

Morena Baccarin = Incredibly beautiful, and can pull of a sense of wisdom few people actually have while playing a space whore.

Angelina Jolie = A wide range acting ability, tons of awards, does action movies, and yeah.

I can't think of any thing else.
Jolie would probably still be ideal, but at this point it's almost a little TOO "on the nose."

I'd add Rhona Mitra from "Doomsday" and the 3rd "Underworld" movie - as a bonus, she has some experience in the uniform: http://www.redbookmag.com/cm/redbook/images/th/rhona-mitra-wonder-woman-300.jpg

FWIW, the infamous-canceled "Justice League: Mortal" movie actually had Australian model Megan Gale in the role before it fell apart.