The Big Picture: Batfleck

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
First up, I'm with Bob on not having an issue with Ben Affleck being picked as Batman. I was initially a bit surprised and a bit hesitant, but the man has talent and I see no reason not to wait and see, especially after the fans have been so unbelievably wrong about a lot of Batman related castings in the past.

But as a bit of a minor nitpick, is it me, or does Bob oscillate wildly between covering up his Boston accent and just not giving a shit and letting it all hang out so to speak? It's quite jarring to be honest. I wouldn't have a problem with the obvious Bostonian to be fair, but it really sticks out and gets distracting for me when he clearly tries to hide it in a lot of videos.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Vivvav said:
"Modern comics' fixation of this particular version of this particular character embodying entitlement and vengeance by proxy, finding a way to purchase victory over a character that's supposed to embody hope and optimism is emblematic of just about everything that went wrong with modern comics."

Thank you, Bob!
Amen! I'm glad there are people like Bob in the world that can conceive, as well as put to words, these kinds of ideas. I would have NEVER thought of Batman as some rich kid that has accomplished all that he has because he was rich enough to not have to worry about paying the bills and what not, so he has time to run around the world learning how to be a master thief, vantrilloquest, ninja, mechanic, pilot, astronaut, physiicist, biologist, botanist, and whatever else the plot requires

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Ben Affleck seems to have undergone the same revival that happened to DiCaprio. Suddenly, the man could act, and act well.

I am cautiously optimistic about it. Ben Affleck wasn't the problem in Daredevil. This wasn't my original choice, but as weird as it seems, it could be cool.

Also, I don't understand the Man of Steel hate train. I enjoyed it. Sure, I'd rather have seen more of Clark getting used to being Superman, but it was good. Also unsure of the fear of being influenced by Miller. I'm not the biggest fan of Frank Miller's vision for Bats or Supes, but I don't hate it either.

While I can appreciate that I'd rather the tone be more like the animated "World's Finest" from Bruce Timm's crew, I can see room for more grit, if done properly (as long as Supes isn't a brain-dead puppet, and Bats isn't some militant thug).

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Robot-Jesus said:
Which episode of Good Easts did he take the frame he used to punctuate the phrase "red flag". anyways...
Not Good Eats at all. It's from Restaurant Stakeout, one of those "I'm a successful restaurant owner so I'm going to scream at you until you do what I say." shows. Unlike some of the others though this guy doesn't have any positive energy in doing the show.

xgideonx

May 10, 2012
The comparisons to Robert Downey, Jr.'s Iron Man are not valid. Iron Man was a character that had never been portrayed on film prior - let alone one that had already been portrayed in a Oscar-winning/nominated, beloved trilogy. Furthermore, and more importantly, Downey completely reinvented (quite frankly, CHANGED) the character of Tony Stark. So much so, in fact, that the comic books have now been written to mimic HIS interpretation. If you think they'll reinvent Batman from brooding dark knight into wise-cracking, "fun" character....sorry, it ain't gonna happen. Nor should it. Unlike Iron Man was before the movies, Batman was - and continues to be - routinely voted the most popular comic book hero and it's not because of his jokes or his "fun."

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
I think Afleck will make a great Bruce Wayne, but Batman I'm having a little trouble seeing.
That's what my problem with Affleck being picked for the part came from. I think he could make a very charming, charismatic, even humorously eccentric quadzillionaire such as Bruce Wayne just as Bale was able to play Bruce Wayne pretty well (at least I thought he did). It's that other half of the character that I'm more concerned about.

With regards to my thoughts on Ben as a whole: eh, his track record is what hurts him the most. I fully agree that the movies that he's written and starred in himself came out decent to good, but it's when he shows up in other people's movies that I start having concerns.

With regards to Batman as a character: I gotta disagree...kinda. People like him because he's charismatic, brilliant, and a frickin' ninja wearing a cape. Then there's always the argument that the only reason people are interested in the Batman franchise isn't even for Batman himself, but rather his rogue's gallery of villains that he goes up against. If you ask people who the most interesting person in the Batman franchise is, I'd imagine the majority would probably pick Joker or whoever their favorite villain is. Batman actually suffers from the same problem as Superman: they're both too unstoppable. There's no real challenge to their existence seeing as how Batman just Batmans the fuck out of everything while Superman just Supermans the fuck out of everything. (yes, I didn just use "Batman" and "Superman" as verbs...it's fun!) As such in order to keep their stories interesting you have to go to other characters besides the main ones. And that's where my disagreement lies: people don't like Batman because they see him as a character they can relate to...the fact that he has more money than god makes him absolutely impossible to relate to. People like him (or specifically his series) because of the colorful character's he's up against and the wild plots they come up with in order to try and beat him.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
Seracen said:
Also, I don't understand the Man of Steel hate train. I enjoyed it.

so did I, but all the talk of supes being inspirational fell very flat when the only example he set was the proper form for punching while flying. Making a superman movie is a very tall order, you need to have a lot of action while demonstrating the nobility of the character. Superman Returns erred on the noble side, Man of Steel erred on the action side. Superman vs. the Elite did things very well, but they didn't have the baggage of a major release to live up to. Honestly I think DC should stick to making direct to dvd releases, seems to work a lot better for the characters then the big screen.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Batman inherited his wealth....

And Superman just had to work for his superpowers, right? He did ten gazillion situps and could leap tall buildings in a single bound? Get real.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Gorbachof said:
Also: Mitt Romney with a Doomsday Bunker and a Leather fettish? WHAT!?
I know, right? As if the actual Mitt Romney doesn't have a doomsday bunker and a leather fetish.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I god damn hope he won't write anything for the DCU movies..
I mean Argo is a piece of shit of revisionism of history who did everything wrong compared on how the thing really happened
http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/argo-iran-hostage-crisis-film-fiddles-with-the-facts-1.1167994

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
The times are changing; the world has become more dark and painful as even with all the advances in science, our humanity has become more chaotic in war, politics, and isolation.
Has it, though? Things seem pretty good to me. Our grandparents had things like WWII and the Great Depression to deal with. Our parents had Vietnam and some really rough economic times. Even in my own generation, many people faces brutal discrimination for being gay, a nerd, or just "different" in any way.

Things are pretty great these days. The internet allows previously isolated people to reach out and talk to people around the world. Our wars are mostly minor skirmishes which are easily avoided - not generation-destroying events where you risk being conscripted into service against your will. Sub-cultures of all kinds are increasingly accepted as normal, and your sexuality is not much of an issue any more. Multiculturalism is growing, as more and more people of different ethnic backgrounds live, work, and communicate together.

We live in pretty happy, inclusive times.

I think your statement might reflect more whatever personal issues you are dealing with than the reality of modern life for most people in developed nations, at least. And especially for some countries, like China and India for example, where increasing numbers of people are finding prosperity and comfort where there was previously so much poverty and misery.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Lightknight said:
Whoa, batman as a rich guy who wins by spending money isn't something I would have thought of. That's quite an interesting way to look at it.
It's one of the central traits of the character. It's hard for me to imagine anyone not noticing that, since it is always featured so prominently.

awesomeness0407

Jan 27, 2011
Agree with Bob. Not bothered so much with Batfleck as I am with the entire premise of this movie. ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING BATMAN!!

Necris Omega

Jul 27, 2011

Batman, Superman, Afleck, whatever.

After this accent laden episode, I want to hear Movie Bob do an episode on Cartoon Network's Chowder.

And yes, I am a terrible, terrible human being.

awesomeness0407

Jan 27, 2011
BlueHighwind said:
Batman inherited his wealth....

And Superman just had to work for his superpowers, right? He did ten gazillion situps and could leap tall buildings in a single bound? Get real.
I think you missed the point entirely. The idea that Batman represents some kind of everyman, regular guy is completely ludicrous when you consider the points Bob brought up. He never had to work so he could devote all his time to honing his skills and whatever he finds he needs he can just buy it.