The Big Picture: Boy's Own Adventure

DrMcCoy

Aug 9, 2010
theApoc said:
Social change should come because of a change in how SOCIETY thinks, feels, behaves.
The society is not some kind of magic entity. It's made up of people.
And this is a huge group of people, a subset of the society, saying they're ready for a change.

downsyndromechimp

May 25, 2012
Quick question:

I actually do watch Fox News as well as other news outlets (both right and left leaning/TV and internet based) and before watching this I wasn't aware that this existed, let alone that it was a "thing." So, well, where exactly is the outrage? Maybe it was buried under all the other important news stories he mentioned, but I honestly did see/hear it.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Drauger said:
hey fox we kind of forget Bugs Bunny loves to drag don't we?
My reaction to this post and this thread as well:

OT: Funny how nobody except Hub fanboys and original fans of the show overseas really knew about this until a bunch of people complained about it. I bet it'll get way more ratings now. Isn't it funny how that works, America?

Captcha: Wash whites separately

Captcha is a fucking racist today.

wildstars

May 24, 2013
valium said:
thank god anime and manga largely flies by under the radar of the bible thumping idiots these days, this is an entire effing genre in Japanese animation and manga.
Amen. Also... This totally reminds me of a 90's oav series called Moldiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldiver

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Look i'm just saying, If you were mostly unrecognizable, would you (as guys) not wear a dress and lipstick to get superpowers?

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
So, let me see if I have this correct:

Little-known network debuts a cartoon for kids with a cross-dressing hero(ine) = freak the !@#% out.
Major video game company introduces gender confused character in 1988, continues to use him/her to this day = carry on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo

Seems legit.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I never heard of it, but I might watch a few episodes to see. Looks reasonable enough if it can keep the humor fresh. Oppose to a Ranma 1/2 retread..

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
*applause*

People are actually losing their fecal matter over this? The only thing offensive about this show is the lazy animation.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Anything that gets Fox News upset is okay in my book. Then again, pretty much everything gets Fox News upset, so it's hard to be surprised at this point.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
I... uh, uhm... wow - sry, i'm overwhelmed by this amount of irony!

Ok, at it again - First things first, thx for the heads up, because i'm currently not very into what's happening in the USA.
But, holy cow, this is hillarious! Honestly, thank you for pointing this out, otherwise i'd possibly never heard of it and also, i kind of thank those... "journalists" (i guess that's what they call themselves) for bringing it up in the first place. Obviously this is nothing but a desperate try to shift attention from bigger problems onto "anything else", but the fact that this (the whole gender-cazoo) is getting attention this way to begin with - at least i think so - isn't necessary a bad thing. As Bob pointed out, it appears to be pretty much the ultimate punshline of the whole show, so... i guess the joke is even more on those who rage about it.
However, i had a good laugh from this and another point to possibly bring up in future discussions, so it's a double win for me so far. Probably should take a look into the show itself first though, whatevs...

Le_Lisra said:
What would these morons think if they watched/read Ranma 1/2? :D
I guess their minds would be blown - right through their constrained heads. On the other hand, that's "asian stuff and every good citizen knows, those are crazy anyways and noone should pay attention to their shit", at least i guess that's what the FOX-people would bring it down to ;)

Looming_Shadows

Jun 21, 2012
My problem with the show: tweening. As an animator I don't have a problem with method, however in this cartoon it's so apparent it kinda ticks me off. BTW for those of you who aren't animator tweening is a form of animation, that significantly reduces the time and effort into a cartoon, but also reduces some of the quality if done incorrectly.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Hey, Bob? Would it be possible for you not to alienate, insult, denigrate, and mock half your prospective audience - including me, who you are ostensibly defending, in your videos?

On to the subject at hand: The meta problem, I believe, is not the presence of this show. The problem is that in a matter of a few years, most or all shows will feature or include similar social ideas, and all kids will grow up inundated in this particular brand of culture.

Which, if you'll recall '50s Americana culture - Bible values in everything - this is pretty much precisely the same idea, just that this time you agree with it. Both are equally wrong, because both are equally suffocating to the many, many people who disagree.

A general rule of thumb is, any sociopolitical issue, if you want to know if it's fair, reverse the sides and see if it still seems fair.

Tom Layton

Jun 5, 2013
Gotta say Bob, I'm from Australia and have seen watched the cartoon idly in the afternoons sometimes. I think you're reading too much into it. The main thrust of it is the recogniseable idea of having to swallow your pride, and compared to some stuff like 'A Planet Called Treason', which describes in slightly too graphic detail the process of a man turning into a woman, this thing has really nothing to say about gender beyond 'hey that guy has to dress up like a girl in order to be a hero, gee guys isn't that funny.'
I think you're trying a little too hard to find support for your strange attitude to gender in a tv show (last I checked male and female were fairly binary things or maybe that's just me)

And not that I'm averse to people putting thier views into their show (it's your show after all) do us a favour and find a better validation for them than 'it's the 21st century' - the number of times our planet has orbited the sun since the birth of Christ doesn't really have any bearing on anything whatsoever.

On an unrelated topic, how about doing a 'Batman Revisited' style Big Picture series but with the Superman movies instead. I'm actually curious what you thought of Superman Returns.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
omicron1 said:
Hey, Bob? Would it be possible for you not to alienate, insult, denigrate, and mock half your prospective audience - including me, who you are ostensibly defending, in your videos?
What exactly are you referring to?

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Jamane said:
a transvetite superhero and everyone losses their minds, quick show them priscilla queen of the desert and watch the fireworks.
I'm so confused, why isn't Hugo Weaving playing a villain, I think that is the much bigger question posed by that movie.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
omicron1 said:
What exactly are you referring to?
Conservaphobic attacks of opportunity.
I mean, it's not like Bob's the only staff member who regularly attacks my worldview and beliefs, but he has a role which allows a certain amount of neutrality - should he choose to accept it. He does not. This rankles.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Strain42 said:
Bob, I often agree with you on a lot of things, but one thing stood out to me here, and I know you just said it as an opinion, so I'm not gonna make a fuss and claim that you're wrong but...

Did you really just cite Gumball as an example of a quality cartoon? I mean I don't dislike Gumball, I think it's a cute little show, gets some humor out of the wackiness, interesting presentation with all the different animation styles but...

...If that's what we're considering near the top of current animated shows, I feel kinda sad right now.
I find this opinion cropping up a lot on the internet. Either people really like gumball or they find it meh... but somehow get OFFENDED when they find someone who likes it.

It is humor. Comedy is the most polarizing form of entertainment on our entire society. It is very hard for a piece of comedy to be universally liked (the closest probably being The Simpsons... even though it's became hip to hate it for its longevity alone regardless of the quality lately).

Of the current animation shows I despise Regular Show, one of the most popular. But I know this is a personal opinion. I just can't get to sympathize even a little bit with its protagonists.

Family Guy and the other Seth McFarlane's shows are also on a scale with only "hate-love" markers. Personally, I only find American Dad consistently funny (and that's only when Roger isn't the focus), mostly because it is the only one of the three that doesn't survive solely on 80s jokes.

Then there's My Little Pony harnessing an entire spectrum of reactions on its own. I watched the show, don't regret it, but I can't see what the fuzz is all about. And then there's people out there worshiping the show like a religion. And the people who find the other group deranged.

That said, I find Gumball hilarious. Gumball does stupid stuff, but at least he isn't doing random stupid stuff. You always get a sense of the reason behind Gumball's actions. The truly random stuff on the show, however, always get me completely off-guard. And I love the animation style in the sense that there isn't a single one. It is mesmerizing to see such clashing characters on the very rules of how they exist on the world interacting with each other. And yet, all this is just an opinion.

Personally, I find those recent shows aren't lacking anything in comparison to the 90s cartoons. Except maybe to Animaniacs and Rocko's Modern Life. And of course there's people out there who find these shows are shitte and that Transformers and TMNT were the only cartoons worth watching.

Just, you know, respect someone else's opinion on what's a good humorous show.