The Big Picture: Boy's Own Adventure

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sir Shockwave said:
...Are you sure nobody's stuck the whole "gay agenda" thing on the Ponies yet? Or is that just the Internet?

Also - The Hub for me is not the channel to watch Ponies. It's the Channel to go watch Transformers X3
Amen, brother. Transformers Prime is one of the best series I've watched!
Ukomba said:
It's a funny premise, and I consider myself a brony so I'm hardly a hardliner on gender specific things... but then I look as Sweden. Poor F***ing Sweden.

- Side note: Villains are cooler anyways, especially in DC. Guys love a bad girl ;), and who doesn't love a good villain songs?
I agree about villains having some more charisma than the heroes, to a point. If they're just a mass-murdering psychopath like in way too many superhero comic books, you just can't wait for the good guy to kick their ass, or, like in an issue of Superior Spider-Man,
give them a Reason You Suck Speech (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheReasonYouSuckSpeech) and blow his brains out.
Also, what's up with that Sweden remark? Is it about how they want to get rid of gender-specific pronouns?

OT, That's an interesting theory about gender relations nowadays. I probably won't watch the cartoon in question, but it is emblematic of the following trope:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealMenWearPink
And Adventure Time is the TITS!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Vausch said:
SkarKrow said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
I am utterly disappointed by the lack of Australian accents.

What, are we watching the dub or something?
Yeah probably, everybody knows that exposing americas youth to other accents would be harmful to them.[sub]/sarcasm[/sub]
Dude, we dub Canadian shows. I think some people genuinely think that.
Well thats just terrible. That said this is the country that gave the world 4kids, so anything is possible.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
I tried watching a few episodes of the show. It's boring as fuck. I guarantee you if it were made for Comedy Central the jokes would at least be passable.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
WaitWHAT said:
jaymiechan said:
Bob kinda glossed over the fact that LGBT issues, especially these days, tends to leave the B and T behind, as well as the concerns for LGBT youth, focusing purely on assimilation theory and gay marriage.
I hate to be....*that guy* advancing the flamewar, but would Bi groups need special attention? If they have a partner of the opposite gender, that's already socially accepted. It would only be if they tried to have a same-sex partner that they'd face any kind of discrimination, and that's what the 'L' and 'G' sections of the 'LGBT' movement are focusing on.

Having said that, Trans groups are pretty darn under-represented and could use a little more positive exposure [footnote]No, not like that you sick bastards....[/footnote].
I'm not sure that's really the case. Bi's can get quite a bit of the same disapproval from the nut-jobs once they come out as bi, luckily this is, as you said, somewhat offset by the work that L&G segments do.
But then as I think someone else said bi people kind of get picked on as people who are just undecided on their sexuality or will just sleep with anyone. I *cough* "have a friend" who often gets annoyed by people who just assume because they're bi they're completely up for just joining threesomes whenever a couple want another person. Plus, perhaps because they're less noticeable than gay people they don't really appear as important in the public eye.
But that's just my take, and seeing as I live in a rather nice part of Britain, no one I know really makes a fuss over homosexuals anyway.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I can't stop laughing

breathe, breathe...
heh..

Haaaa US with it "ooo help gay people" problem (yeah I know people that are scared of anything but straight people exist everywhere)...
A kid cross dress to become a female super hero, uhm yea so? It's a great joke and whilst not my favorite art style looks ok as far as kids shows goes...
And for this HBTQLB..whatever... thing I don't care what you are attracted to or want f*ck, but please if it's not human well don't do it in public use the internet for discussing it... Just be happy with who you are and let everyone else be happy to, you'll live longer...
(Or as my personal religions only command: Live and let live, die at some point, and don't f*cking bother me)

Plus who is forcing kids to watch this quite obscure show? I'm sure there's some parental control on the tvbox...

However:
I thank you Americans and your FOX "news", you make me live longer, a lot longer because you make me really laugh out loud!

(I just have to show my colleagues at work this they won't be able to work for an hour!)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'm not going to try to defend Fox News, because some things are just futile, but I'm going to keep on saying this much: if you really stop and look into what's going on in the media, Fox isn't really any worse than the other news stations when it comes to skewing the facts and manipulating public opinion for the good of a corporate elite. Fox is just slightly more blatant about it and they happen to hold the currently unpopular opinion, thus making them an easier target.
Sorry, I suppose that's kind of tangential, but every time I hear Fox getting beat down, I feel the compulsive need to point this out. I dislike the way people scapegoat Fox as a means of avoiding giving serious thought about how bad the media is in general.

But on topic, I probably won't check out the show, since I have little interest in TV these days, but yeah I guess I can see it as a positive small step. I'm not as "liberal" as some people about transgender issues (a pandora's box I'm not going to open right now), but on the other hand, what I am in favor of is an open and honest cultural examination of gender issues. As a means of ordering society, they've functioned in the past - although never very well, unless people were willing to slide the rules a little bit (fun fact, people in the past actually were more open to not being so strict about gender roles and it wasn't until people started threatening to de-establish them that you got people being overbearing about it. Go ahead, look it up) - but as the economic structure of the world has changed, they've become problematic in many ways. So, since they need some revising anyway, we might as well give a real examination of the issue and fix what doesn't work.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Lord Merik said:
Mr. Q said:
In fact, I'd like to see each one of these idiots castrated and lobotomized, if only to spare the human gene pool any further pollution.

;
Tab bit extreme. Meting hatred with hatred does not help.
Sorry if I came off harsh but I cannot stand bullies, especially ignorant ones. I've dealt with them most of my life and its had a severe impact on how I see the world.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Bob, I often agree with you on a lot of things, but one thing stood out to me here, and I know you just said it as an opinion, so I'm not gonna make a fuss and claim that you're wrong but...

Did you really just cite Gumball as an example of a quality cartoon? I mean I don't dislike Gumball, I think it's a cute little show, gets some humor out of the wackiness, interesting presentation with all the different animation styles but...

...If that's what we're considering near the top of current animated shows, I feel kinda sad right now.

I don't really care much for Adventure Time either, but I see what makes it so highly acclaimed (and I'm not stupid enough to try and badmouth Adventure Time on the internet >_>)

EDIT: Oh, and while I wouldn't exactly step up to defend Fox News (I've got no real reason to) but IIRC even Bill O'Reilly eventually stepped up and was like "Guys c'mon, you can't just keep saying 'I'm against homosexuality because the bible says so'."

When even Big Bill here is calling BS on the biggest "reason" people are against gay marriage, especially given his audience, you gotta give him some props.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
WaitWHAT said:
I hate to be....*that guy* advancing the flamewar, but would Bi groups need special attention? If they have a partner of the opposite gender, that's already socially accepted. It would only be if they tried to have a same-sex partner that they'd face any kind of discrimination, and that's what the 'L' and 'G' sections of the 'LGBT' movement are focusing on.
Wouldn't trying to have a partner of the same sex be part and parcel of being bisexual? It's kind of the definition that a bisexual person is attracted to both sexes.

In my experience, bisexual people face heaps of discrimination - they often get it from both straight and gay people.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
gphjr14 said:
I guess past generations didn't have a problem when Bugs Bunny was dressing up like a woman and kissing Elmer Fudd.
ya isn't that a bit hypocritical? not to mention that the people bugs was tricking fell head over heels over a rabbit dressed as a woman. not sure whether its the disguise or the bestiality that makes it creepy

Fiairflair

Polymath
Oct 16, 2012
I appreciate the introduction of this video. If you told me that an American cartoon channel imported one of our cartoons I'd have nodded and then forgotten it.

SheZow has been running on the Australian Channel Ten since last December without issue. Australia has cranks and homophobes just like everywhere else but it seems bizarre that anyone would actually listen to them. Socially speaking, homophobic/transphobic remarks get you in trouble over here: especially in the mainstream press. Politicians who have expressed intolerant views have been forced to resign due to the weight of public opinion.

I expect there is a very complicated historical answer to this question but... how can the United States be so tolerant in some places and so remarkably vile in others?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I know I already posted... but here goes:
I think it's funny that everything is part of an agenda. Fox is afraid of anything that is slightly outside the norm, so their agenda is pretty apparent. But this show is represented (at least in this video and by many commentors) as being part of the agenda to reduce sexualization in social theory (which is kind of ridiculous in itself). I mean... can't it just be a quirky cartoon with a strange outside the box idea (a pretty darn good one for that matter) and not be part of someone's "agenda for/agenda against". That is rhetorical question (as denoted by lack of a question mark), I just wanted to point out the utter lunacy that a thing can't just be what a thing is. I has to be some bigger, deeper, more or less insidious part of a greater quest either for or against something. As the information age sails along, everything seems to fall into this category at ever increasing rates. This has to be the biggest downfall of a world where information is at people's finger tips. Comics can't just be comics, they have to be sexist (not denying it happens, but denying the insidious nature that it's attributed to). Games can't be about playing games, they have to be perceived to offer some kind of commentary on what is wrong with the world (I'm sure we all remember the "Zombie Bait" statue for Dead Island: Riptide and the fallout with people using the word "misogyny" like it's going out of style).

That is all I wanted to add. This may be about an agenda for/against something, but I don't really care. I'm too middle isle for any extreme views to be anything but that, extreme. Extreme as in doesn't apply to the general population.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Is it wrong the only reason I knew of this show's existence was because of "fan" art by Shadman/TheShadling?

(if anyone decides to google it, be warned its NSFW)

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
I think a lot of our minds went to Ranma 1/2, and, really, it's no surprise. This was a thing YEARS ago, the fact that people today still find it shocking is nothing more than a testament to how good these people are at recruiting more and more insecure youths to their cause, and raising them to continue their nutso ways, through means far more questionable than any of the LGBT stuff they're actively questioning.

This isn't shocking. This isn't evil. This is just people having fun, enjoying life and finding things to poke fun at. The world needs more of the nonsense as in this cartoon, and less of people making others feel bad for their life choices or, even worse, things life forced upon people through no choice of their own.

Nov 24, 2010
WaitWHAT said:

Having said that, Trans groups are pretty darn under-represented and could use a little more positive exposure [footnote]No, not like that you sick bastards....[/footnote].
Well, sadly no. Because- if Bi date the other sex they pass as hetero and arent taken serious because they can "ignore" the discrimination if they just shut up about their sexuality and stay with one partner.
if the person dates same sex, then the whole discrimination goes on-and if the Bisexual wasnt intelligent enough to make the alignment clear, people might/will feel as if the bi has lied to them. And surely bisexuals want the same rights if they choose to date same-sex partners.

and, sadly-there is a bit of bi-phobia in the gay-community. I cant count how often ive heard or read the notion that bisexuals arent good as partners because they can cheat on your every time-if they are with the same sex they cheat because the other sex has things, the partner hasn't to offer (penis/breast&vagina and vice versa) so the partner might feel "incomplete" and unable to compete and instead of getting to the problem of self worth issues, you read "no bisexuals" in the dating-profile. so the notions that bisexuals are inherently more promiscuous is problematic, yeah-because its fucking wrong.

and on parties, often its, well like they think bisexuals are either people who cant decide and are therefore not real gay or just have a phase of gayness and will get normal (parents anyone? luckily not mine^^)
so the orientation is not taken seriously and you are seen as a whore which isnt matured and therefore bisexual or just somebody who is not a real part of gay/lesbian community because the bi can and might date partners of the other sex&gender.

so.. well sorry for the little rant^^

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
mcnally86 said:
Bob thanks for pointing this out. I do find it funny that Sponge Bob and Patrick have been a couple for years and no one said anything because they didn't cross dress even though Spongebob is a flaming homosexual.
I thought there was plenty of conservative outrage over Spongebob?

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Rblade said:
the absolute funniest part about this is how fox doesn't seem to realize all this does is make more people watch it. I mean I doubt strict tea party parents were letting their kids watch friendship is magic in the first place.
Do you think Fox cares? They don't give a crap about the supposed "values" they blather about. It's all just to get attention (and therefore money) from the target audience. It's not like they actually believe most of the BS they spew. It's all just about creating storms in teacups to fill airtime.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Sir Shockwave said:
...Are you sure nobody's stuck the whole "gay agenda" thing on the Ponies yet? Or is that just the Internet?

Also - The Hub for me is not the channel to watch Ponies. It's the Channel to go watch Transformers X3
Wait... are you being serious? Have people tried to pin the "gay agenda" on ponies? I'm genuinely curious, I rarely go to the likes of 4chan and /mlp/ so if it originated there I wouldn't know.

OT: I watch ponies and transformers on the internet. But I did hear about this a while back, I assumed people were trolling. Well it looks decent enough, can't be any worse than Johnny Test. If it gets the far right family values clowns in a tizzy, shit... run it for 7 seasons.