The Big Picture: Boy's Own Adventure

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Honestly, the Hub needs that attention even if it's controversy. No one watches that channel outside of MLP.
On that note however the show seems average.
It's the equivalent of those 90's live action shows where the male cast dresses up as a girl to get into a club or something. Or various skits where it's basically a bunch of men dressed as women having parody conversations about what women supposedly talk about in real life. Nickelodeon was notorious for that.
Yet I didn't hear the media complain.
So what's the difference here exactly?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I came across the whole "poor values for children" argument on another site.

Yea, like teaching kids an invisible sky wizard that killed children by the hundreds of thousands will torture them forever if they step out of line is good values.

Besides, I saw an episode on youtube just to see what the fuss is about, and the worst thing about it is the awful puns that are piled into every minute of it.

OH well, anything that makes the fundies show how horrible they are to the rest of society and lose more support is a good thing.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Magog1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I guess none of the guys at Fox ever watched Cybersix. Oh wait, that's because the morons banned the show in the US after its first run because of the crossdressing superhero.

Where else do you see an androgynous woman jump between being a male teacher and then fighting Nazi mutants with her "Brother reborn as a Jaguar"?
you know this may not have been my cup of tea.... or I'm not even sure what kind of tea this was..

but I can tell someone really.. really. really tried with this show (It would appear).

Damn this thread delivers.
I'd say give it a shot. Jose is a funny little psychopath villain.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I once briefly dated a girl who's mother watched Fox religiously...

Girl was nice enough - but it didn't last since I was clearly a commie-pinko-hippy-terrorist in the eyes of her mom

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zer0Saber said:
Oh, and gay ninjas broke into my house and made my whole family gay, then destroyed my family.
What, were they sent by Orson Scott Card? (He seriously suggested that being molested as a child would turn people gay)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Nurb said:
Yea, like teaching kids an invisible sky wizard that killed children by the hundreds of thousands will torture them forever if they step out of line is good values.
Actually, the cultural belief in an unseen observer has been linked to stronger societies by reinforcing the individual's actions to do "good or selfless actions" even when no one is looking. You are essentially mocking the notion of there being ramifications for anti-social behavior. So, integrity, basically. It's a fantastic value, but the method of instilling it is what you're questioning. Big difference between the two. But much like this small component of your overall comment, I guess that's besides the point at hand.

Carry on, good sir or madame, or the sky wizard will get you.

Zer0Saber said:
Oh, and gay ninjas broke into my house and made my whole family gay, then destroyed my family.
*GASP* And there's nothing scarier than gay ninjas! They're so good at sneaking up on you from behind and by the time you notice it's too late... they've already corrected you on what belt you should have worn with those shoes...

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
When mentioned on the Something Awful cartoon thread all I could think that it was "a disaster just looking for a place to happen."

Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be what's happened here.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Hey a gender bender cartoon ? XD seems funny porbably gonna watch it, hey fox we kind of forget Bugs Bunny loves to drag don't we?

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
teamcharlie said:
The only popular TV show I can think of that has actually done this right is Star Trek TNG (and sometimes Futurama referencing Star Trek when they aren't making fun of how ridiculous Zapp looks). In the first episode there's a dude just walking around in a minidress uniform and nobody bats a goddamn eyelash. That's how you break down barriers.

Telling people, especially kids, that it's weird for guys to wear "girl clothes" just teaches them to think that way. Even if it's overall intended to make them question why that is the case, it still reinforces the wrongheaded notion that gender as it's applied to bodies is inflexible and that any deviation from social norms makes you wrong.

There are enough irrational bigots in real life. Fictional cartoon universes don't need them too.
You know, I don't think I considered that, and it does make a lot of sense.

But I suppose changing masses often requires more transitional works to satisfy the already grown up generation that already has those beliefs, even if the show is geared towards children. So while in theory if the show was only being viewed by children such an approach of not giving a fuck about gender roles or whatever would be great, parents would probably throw a hissy fit.

Think long term changes and gradual generational changes, X is any social taboo

X Thing is horrible > X Thing is unacceptable/shameful > X Thing isn't talked about > X Thing is whispered about > X Thing is joked about > X Thing is taken seriously > People stop caring about X

Granted that's just something I thought up in a few minutes, but I feel like that's the general idea.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
Boy's Own Adventure

MovieBob hops into the kiddie pool this week.

Watch Video
Bob, dear silly Bob, My Little Pony isn't the ONLY reason to watch the Hub, unless it's been moved to another channel in the last week

still exists, and is WAY BETTER then MLP; FiM, hell >.> better then a lot of other shows on TV to, not that that takes much.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
teamcharlie said:
The only popular TV show I can think of that has actually done this right is Star Trek TNG (and sometimes Futurama referencing Star Trek when they aren't making fun of how ridiculous Zapp looks). In the first episode there's a dude just walking around in a minidress uniform and nobody bats a goddamn eyelash. That's how you break down barriers.

Telling people, especially kids, that it's weird for guys to wear "girl clothes" just teaches them to think that way. Even if it's overall intended to make them question why that is the case, it still reinforces the wrongheaded notion that gender as it's applied to bodies is inflexible and that any deviation from social norms makes you wrong.

There are enough irrational bigots in real life. Fictional cartoon universes don't need them too.
I never noticed that TNG scene, thank you very much for pointing it out. Now I love Star Trek even harder.

As someone that cross dresses, not for humour and not because I'm trans gender, the fact that it's only treated as a comedy topic greatly pisses me off.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Dear god i did not know this was even an issue. Thank the lord i don't watch the "news" this is beyond asinine.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
MLP the Only reason to watch the Hub? Have you seen any of their other awesomeness?

<youtube=lM7OjHhxvm0>
<youtube=H2fstlGyZNI>

OT: You know, I had a dream about something like this. Only the hero/ine was 18. And I was the hero/ine. And I ended up fucking the villain in the end.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
SupahGamuh said:
Oh shit, this takes me back to the days when Ranma 1/2 was being aired in public TV (we had no fancy cable back then), I thought the show was hilarious, but having a mom that's even afraid of her own shadow wasn't easy, but I still managed to watch many animes back then, heck, we got the uncensored versions of many animes (that's why it always pisses me off to watch the US version of Dragon Ball Z).
Try Dragonball Z Kai (because the original Japanese track is a crime against humanity, it is the 4kids dub of original language tracks). Edited out the filler and re-inserted the violence and good stuff.
I already watched DBZ Kai a few times and it's still massively censored compared to the original. It has the original japanese music, wich it's an improvement, but I still like our own version better (mexican dub, uncut).

Fun fact, in the mexican dub of DBZ Kai, we still retain many of the original japanese words, for example, Mr. Hercule is still Mr. Satan for us (we never censored the 666 number), Sayan is still "Sayayin", Namek is still "Namekusein", Piccolo is still "Piccoro" and so forth ;)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
No one should be really surprised by this. The major media outlets are constantly being bogged down by news that isn't news all the time. Also, I have to laugh at the concept of looking towards the major media outlets to cut through all the BS "for us". That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I have never seen this happen in practice from any news network.

Edit: To further my point from the other side of the isle, I made the exact same point about everyone being all up in arms and making gay marriage the same thing. I'm from New Jersey, New Jersey has a lot of financial problems. But there was a period of a few weeks where all anyone talked about in the the State senate was gay marriage. Me? I'm all for it. If it will make people happy and doesn't affect me (which it does not), then let them get married. But it was a fight when there were definitely more serious issues at hand. Both parties fucked that one up though. The useless ass Democrats made it their primary focus, ignoring all budgetary problems and money problems the state has, especially within relatively close proximity to Hurricane Sandy and other financial debacles the state has been facing. Then in an equally useless move, the governor vetoed the bill, causing even more stupid useless in fighting. All the time, this is what was discussed, ad nauseum, by any even remotely local news affiliates.

As I said, no one should expect to hear any important news from any news source. Like anything on television, they rely on ratings so important news gets thrown aside for the hot topic of the day.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
A show where the main character obtains special powers but has to wear a girly outfit not out of choice?

*Looks at own avatar and remembers

If they can play up the absurdity of it all and run with it like Is This A Zombie? did, I'll definitely check it out.

Lord Merik

May 17, 2011
Mr. Q said:
In fact, I'd like to see each one of these idiots castrated and lobotomized, if only to spare the human gene pool any further pollution.

;
Tab bit extreme. Meting hatred with hatred does not help.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
ok I know im not gonna like this show, and its not because of any of the gender swaping(which btw looks funnier then hell)its because the show is using that crappy cheapo animation which should be why people are freaking out about cause if this shit gets on the air whats next?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
SkarKrow said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
I am utterly disappointed by the lack of Australian accents.

What, are we watching the dub or something?
Yeah probably, everybody knows that exposing americas youth to other accents would be harmful to them.[sub]/sarcasm[/sub]
Dude, we dub Canadian shows. I think some people genuinely think that.