The Big Picture: Captains Courageous

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Oooh... A story about the copyrights of Superman since the court case is still going from last year. That should be a good story itself.

Well, this one was good but it has me liking Captain Marvel a lot more than Mar-Vell. That's just stupid.

The world of copyright law has issues.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Is anyone else now saying aloud/in their head "Comic Books Are Weird!" just like Movie Bob does? It just makes me smile so much.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
MovieBob said:
Captains Courageous

Captain Marvel, meet Captain Marvel.

Watch Video
I'd go off on a tangent and rage about you filling your head with useless nonsense, but then I remembered that I could keep the story of the MGS games straight in my head and suddenly I feel ashamed of myself. :(

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
Awesome episode MovieBob!

For those of you craving more comic book craziness, check out these:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/08/16/lbfa-history-aquaman-explained/
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/15/hawkman-history-lbfa-comics/
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/08/02/lbfa-rachel-summers-history/

SweEscaspist

Oct 13, 2010
Okay, now I really start to think that:
COMICS
ARE
WEIRD!
But its fun to see that the fight between DC and Marvel (i am on there side) is still going on.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
I feel your pain, Bob. Thank God I grew up in the 90s and only comics around me was a bit of Duck Tales. I liked cartoons better :)

snugglesgold

Apr 22, 2009
Wasn't miracle man an offshoot of captain marvel as well? I only mention it because probably my fav comic book villan, Johnny Bates, is in the series.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
The Escapist needs to get you another show. One for comics/movies/games/whathaveyous and one for The Big Picture.

While I HIGHLY appreciate these snippets of pop culture, I'm always a little disappointed when I don't hear anything thoughtful, just amusing. The GI Joe episode did a nice thing and meshed the two together but it's still lacking

scbunchy

Jun 26, 2009
Pity you didn't mention the fact that Capatain Marvel Junior says "Captain Marvel" to activate his powers and so can't actually speak his name to anyone without transforming.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Bob should do a separate video series of "Comics are weird," lol. Knowing all of this requires a comic encylopedia, well done.

Serum211

Sep 28, 2009
Sometimes i Wonder what it would be like yo be into comics. Then you do a "comics are Weird" episode, and competly stop giving a shit. There is simply way TOO MUCH BACKSTORY!

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
wow, I think that is probably the most interesting completely irrelevant and useless bit of information I've ever heard!

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
ReiverCorrupter said:
Bob. I'm going to stop watching your shorts if you keep filling my mind with UTTERLY useless information. Seriously. I've probably unlearned something important to make room for that shite.
If you want important information why are you coming to a website that is pretty much all about entertainment?

Oct 18, 2008
My first comic was a Superman comic I got when I was 6 or 7 years old, and when I got to the end and it was a typical cliff hanger, it made me so mad, I never read another one, because I then realized comics were trying to be a never ending string tied to all the money I would ever have. I still have no use for them.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
The 20th comic episode, and you've still yet to even -mention- the greatest comic book publishers in the world, 2000AD! You sir are painfully mainstream.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
MaxerJ said:
I thought Captain Marvel was a bit of a stick, having not really read any of his comics but knowing he was DC and thinking it strange to name a character after your biggest rival.

And then I read Judgement Day.

What the hell was that comic called? Anyone? The one where Marvel slaughters Supes?
Kingdom Come?
He utterly goes to town on Supes and we see that weakness against magic being exploited to the full.

Or Public Enemies... Billy fairly hands Clark his ass in that too (for a while anyway... "S! Castling!")

Captain Marvel (DC) is a great character and despite his virtue and inherant goodness is seriously dangerous.
Also Black Adam is the shiz in the Marvel "family".

Also Comics Are Weird! should get it's own series Bob... there's enough material out there for ten series.

MerryMarvelite

Mar 2, 2011
Great episode, Bob. Love the comic-centric ones.

As far as the Marvel Universe goes now and Captain Marvel, there's actually nobody currently using the name.

The last person to use it was Noh-Varr, as you mentioned, but he's currently known as The Protector. (Honestly his new name and costume aren't nearly as interesting as when he was on the Dark Avengers.)

I believe Monica Rambeau is still active but hasn't been featured in a book in a few years, and goes by the name Photon now, anyway.

Although, it's worth noting that the original (Marvel's original, that is) Mar-Vell actually appeared recently in a Chaos War tie in called Dead Avengers, in which several Avengers that had been killed (including Deathcry, Doctor Druid, the Swordsman, and the female Yellowjacked) returned to life for a short time because of all the shenanigans occurring in the underworld.

Anyway, if you guys like these comic centric episodes, you may just enjoy my show as well. (Link in signature, excuse the shameless plug.)

Excelsior!

EDIT: Hmm, signature not attached. Here's the link, anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/MerryMarvelite