The Big Picture: Comics in The 90s: What Happened?

ThetaReactor

Apr 21, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Darth_Payn said:
saintdane05 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Welcome to March is 90's month,
where bad comics burn.
MovieBob's gonna teach you all
a lesson you won't learn.
Liefeld, you're not the smartest.
Image, needs more than artists.
Any artists who had a comic published,
fame gave them a turn.
Movie Bob
Dark Age! Merch! Making blood go splat!
Movie Bob!
Speculator boom! Gotta purchase that!
Linkara!
Egos, bankruptcy, scarceness disappeared!
Movie Bob!
COMICS. ARE, WEIRD!
MOVIE BOB!
Can I hug you now? Like, genuine, huge, I LOVE YOU hug?
What's the tune to sing that to?
Sing it to the tune of Linkara's THeme.
It latched on to the Pokemon theme in my head. Damn 90s again...

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Nghtgnt said:
Nooners said:
What's Bob referring to there in the End? I admit that I have no clue whatsoever...
Neil Gaiman vs Todd Mcfarlane. Gaiman created Violator, Medieval Spawn, and Angela when he wrote a couple issues of Spawn, but then was in some legal battles to secure partial ownership of those characters. Ironic considering the whole Image Comics formed to give creators control/ownership of their creations...

Anyways, at the end of Marvel's current Age of Ultron event Neil Gaiman is supposedly co-writing the last issue and Angela will be showing up, which I believe is to segue into Marvel's next event, which I think Gaiman will be writing some of.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/marvels-age-of-ultron-features-controversial-angel/
That's a good possibility. Another I found is a rumor that Marvel may be revisiting the Heroes Reborn universe. Either of which would make a good episode.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Redem said:
90's sucked meme...huh bob for it to be a meme you need more than one person that use it.
Yeah, not only have these "90's suck" videos not convinced me the 90's sucked, it's convinced me even further the 90's were a better time period then now.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I dont need to watch the video to tell you what happened to comics in the '90's. They sucked because all they did was focus on gimmicks and artwork, and forgot what makes them truly great... the story. Chromium covers, multiple "collectible" covers, bagged comics with cards and such (which, by the way, those baggies they came in are acidic and will eventually destroy your comic.. not that most of those are really worth squat, anyway) and the list goes on. It was a bad time to be a comic collector back then. Anyone remember Valiant? /sigh, my wallet does.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Smokescreen said:
franksands said:
Image Comics is doing some very good things now, almost 20 years later, like Saga and Chew.
This is true, but Image has been bought out by DC, so they're more of an imprint like Vertigo now, instead of a challenger to the big two publishers.
As far as I know, only WildStorm (one of the studios in Image) was bought by DC. Image Comics is still independent.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Netrigan said:
The 90s has some of the best writers the industry has ever seen, most at the height of their power, back when there were a few major publishers who were interested in letting these guys do what they did best with a minimum of interference. Alan Moore re-entered the super-hero fray thanks to Image, Frank Miller gave up being a horrible Robocop screen-writer and launched a few brilliant creator-owned books, Gaiman's Sandman was positively rolling along, a young Garth Ennis knocked it out of the park with Hellblazer then topped it with Preacher, there's even a grumpy Warren Ellis coming to prominence at the end of the decade.
So true. The video wasn't wrong about the first half of the decade, but the late 90s gave us a lot of brilliant comics - in addition to the ones you mentioned I'd add Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, and Peter Milligan's short-lived The Minx (and didn't Ed Brubaker's short Scene of the Crime come out in '98 or '99 as well?).

Plus a lot of Warren Ellis' more recent weird big ideas were already around in a watered down form in the mid-'90s in his run on Excalibur (my avatar here is from that) as well as in DV8/Stormwatch/The Authority/Planetary.

And that's not even getting into all the indie stuff, or some of the European Sci Fi that was coming out at the time. Yeah, the early '90s were pretty crap (with some notable exceptions, of course), but there was a lot of good stuff (and maybe more importantly influential stuff) coming out in the second half of the decade.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Is it just me or does a lot of that sound like exactly what's happening with gaming at the moment? Too much money being circulated by everyone jumping the shark and a lot of indies and splinter studios (via kickstarter) trying to carve their slice of the market.

Broz

Nov 30, 2010
To add to previous posts for the sake of my online ego. Comics sucked in the '90's? Seriously? I think the view here was a tad narrow. I look at my comic book case and the overwhelming majority is Stormwatch, The Authority, Hellboy and large chunks of Vertigo and Moore, oh and a single more "mainstream" representation in Kingdom Come... The nineties was pretty good for some of us.

~cough~ TNG, DS9, Babylon 5, X-Files, Frasier ~cough~

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
There was awesome Image comics. Savage Dragon, Maxx, Supreme, Prophet to name a few. While some were great, others were great ideas with zero writing ability. Supreme was a superman character who came back to earth and found tons of superheroes taking his place. He was awesome, violent and egotistical. Just no real background or writers of calibre to make him awesome.

Now Image release stuff like The Walking Dead and other creator owned stuff so im glad they are still going.
Heck isn't Kirkman pretty much the largest principle owner of Image these days? I'll give Image credit. They stuck it out through the awful years, and evolved from the art driven abomination of the 90's to a much more writer driven company today. And it has paid off. At least as well as anything can in today's comic industry. (News flash. The comics industry as we know it is doomed. As the big bookstore chains die so to die the main discoverable courses of their product. Until they figure out on how to truly capitalize on digital markets, they are all screwed. The writing is on the wall for Diamond and the independent comic shops.)

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
After the artists failed at being writers, you get Geoff Johns who has changed the DC universe 3 times. That's some nice writing power on the level of Jack Kirby. Is that our big thing for next week, or have I just speculated too far?

Captcha: Make it so

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I didn't get into the whole Comic Book till around 2000, It blows my mind to think Marvel filed bankruptcy.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
you know, I started collecting comics in 1995 (I was only 10) when I found out that archie comics had put out a Sonic the Hedgehog comic. Though the series has had it's low points to be sure it's recently entered it's 20th year as it rapidly approaches it's 250th issue, making it the longest running licensed comic in the industry's history. In a decade driven by cheap event comics and pandering to "mature" audiences it's nice to know that one of the greatest success stories was a kid friendly cartoon comic.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Oh lord Image comics. I only remember two things from Image, and both infuriated me. One was Rob Leifield's unending stream of new characters and teams, all of which were horrible and his art was being emulated across comics, even though he was awful at anatomy. And two, their release schedules were non-existant. I remember comics like Maxx and The Pitt taking months between volumes. I seem to remember at one point Maxx had a 9 month window between like volumes 3 and 4. =\
Redem said:
90's sucked meme...huh bob for it to be a meme you need more than one person that use it.
You don't get around the internet much, do you?

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
faefrost said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
There was awesome Image comics. Savage Dragon, Maxx, Supreme, Prophet to name a few. While some were great, others were great ideas with zero writing ability. Supreme was a superman character who came back to earth and found tons of superheroes taking his place. He was awesome, violent and egotistical. Just no real background or writers of calibre to make him awesome.

Now Image release stuff like The Walking Dead and other creator owned stuff so im glad they are still going.
Heck isn't Kirkman pretty much the largest principle owner of Image these days? I'll give Image credit. They stuck it out through the awful years, and evolved from the art driven abomination of the 90's to a much more writer driven company today. And it has paid off. At least as well as anything can in today's comic industry. (News flash. The comics industry as we know it is doomed. As the big bookstore chains die so to die the main discoverable courses of their product. Until they figure out on how to truly capitalize on digital markets, they are all screwed. The writing is on the wall for Diamond and the independent comic shops.)
Pretty much this. Image started as an ego soaked bonfire sacrifice to guys who were, at best, good artists, and after the virgin sacrifices ran dry they managed to put a pretty good house together.

But yes, the current print comics market is a dinosaur. Something needs to change drastically or all we'll really have to enjoy is Movies and the like.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
It always saddens me that Marvel & DC comics weren't really available when I was growing up (during 90s). Few years back we could buy Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate X-Men, but they were kinda overpriced. As for the 90s comics, I'm far from expert on the subject but I think Hellblazer and Preacher were pretty damn good (Garth Ennis) as was Transmetropolitan (although it came out in late 90s)

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Because American.

Simply put, you should expand your comic horizons to the scary outside world if you don't want to read crap that ages really bad and sells purely on hype.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Rossco64 said:
Really Bob? F.R.I.E.N.D.S? You don't have to like it but I'm pretty sure there is a whole list bad shows you could have put in it's place. Then again...

Snip

Perhaps the 90s wasn't a bad decade for television.
Yep, keep in mind this is Bob's opinions.
For us children of the 80s the 90s suck.

80s kids are hitting their awkward teenage years, shows 90s kids love are considered beneath the 80s kids.
As those 80s kids grew out of that cultural group or really tried to leave it behind as kiddy stuff.

And if you grew up as a geek in the 90s this is especially a bad time, as the 90s was not geek friendly as popular culture is now. So many 80s kids like me or Bob whole 90s experience is so badly tainted that there very little redeemable qualities the way Queen Ceres in the Game of Thrones only good quality is that she actually loved her children no matter how much of a evil, manipulative whore she actually was.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Welcome to March is 90's month,
where bad comics burn.
MovieBob's gonna teach you all
a lesson you won't learn.
Liefeld, you're not the smartest.
Image, needs more than artists.
Any artists who had a comic published,
fame gave them a turn.
Movie Bob
Dark Age! Merch! Making blood go splat!
Movie Bob!
Speculator boom! Gotta purchase that!
Linkara!
Egos, bankruptcy, scarceness disappeared!
Movie Bob!
COMICS. ARE, WEIRD!
MOVIE BOB!
I like how Rob Liefeld is still a focal point. Because, well...Yeah....He kinda deserves it.