The Big Picture: Continuity Wars

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Continuity Wars

MovieBob shows us the consequences of the new Star Wars movie.

Watch Video

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well, it's easy to see which part he had the most fun writing... it certainly was the most fun part to listen to. Mario = Superman. Yes.

Also, good job explaining a big reason why I prefer Marvel over DC in less than a minute.

Also, regarding the SWEU: assuming no movies come out before the prequels, what happens to the books set then? Are they considered part of the canon or is the EU an all-or-nothing affair?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
How could anyone think they would use any of the EU? The little I know makes it out to be an incoherent clusterfuck.

Also will their ever be a Big Picture on the New 52 as I know very little about it and really want to know why Bob seems to hate it.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I never once expected them to pick up the EU. Lucasarts never did, why would Disney. It's not as if the legwork is already done for them and they would just have to throw their infinite supply of money at it until they worked out a script with only a fraction of the effort. That would just be insane.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Haha, loved it. When you think about it, Super Mario Bros. continuity is a heck of a lot more interesting than Zelda continuity.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I want a whole episode of Bob explain the internal continuity, culture, denizens etc. of all the Mario games as seriously as a real anthropologist (exopologist?).

Just sayin'.

Anyway, I agree with the assumption that Disney is going to do their own thing with Star Wars. The books were written from a stand point that they were glorified fan-fiction, meaning that all kinds of crazy (i.e. not focused grouped) things could happen.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Well, it's easy to see which part he had the most fun writing... it certainly was the most fun part to listen to. Mario = Superman. Yes.

Also, good job explaining a big reason why I prefer Marvel over DC in less than a minute.

Also, regarding the SWEU: assuming no movies come out before the prequels, what happens to the books set then? Are they considered part of the canon or is the EU an all-or-nothing affair?
If George Lucas' words are to be believed/followed, nothing outside the movies is direct canon.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
As much as I like some of the EU, there was never any reason to think it would be used for the movies.

And I would say something about the DC's New 52 and how there are really good titles on it, but most of those good titles (like Batman and all the Green Lanterns) largely ignore the continuity reset anyways.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Talk more about Mario continuity! Talk about the bullshit that was Miyamoto saying the Koopalings aren't really Bowser's children!

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
So I'm NOT the only one who noticed the lack of Shy Guys in SMW when they were in Yoshi's Island!

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/

Written over three years ago. Thank you cracked.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
The EU is a lot like a lot of other geek media. Some of it's good (The Thrawn Trilogy) and some of it's bad (The New Rebellion). Since the good books are generally so praised by fans, like the Thrawn Trilogy, I imagine that's where a lot of the demand to make them into movies comes from. "Look, look, we all love this! Make it into a movie and regain our trust and adoration!" I never believed that they would make The Truce at Bakura into a movie nor that it was a story that needed to be (re)told.

What I'd like to see is the new movies* do something similar to the Rogue Squadron books. Focus on new characters, mention some of the other stars (Luke and co.) in passing, and tell a good story. It's a huge universe with plenty of opportunities for characters, stories and so much more! If you wheel in someone from the original trilogy constantly all it does is shrink the universe. And please stop portraying the Empire as this group of bumbling idiots that can be taken down by some college kids.

------

*I'd also like to see the Endor Holocaust because screw you George!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think Bob has put more thought into the Mario Bros. continuity than most of the people who work at Nintendo, and I'm honestly not certain if I'm more amused or impressed.

I've never been the biggest Star Wars geek. Oh, I like the movies well enough, at least the original trilogy. I grew up mostly in the eighties; what kid didn't want to be a Jedi at some point? And I also quite enjoyed the original Bioware Knights of the Old Republic. But most of what I've read of and about the "extended universe" is just... How do I put this? At best, it was "more of the same"- you thought bounty hunters were cool? Here's another one. You thought smugglers were cool? Here. Jedi? Yeah, we gots yo' Jedi. At worst, it screwed up what was most effective about the original trilogy, Midichlorian-style. "Grey Jedi"...? Either diluting the pool or polluting it.

I'm sure if I searched hard enough, I'd find some continuity that I felt an iron-clad need to defend. In the case of the "Extended Universe", though, it's genuinely hard for me to understand why someone would feel a need to get bitter about something with a quality that the kindest person would describe as "uneven".

Kuro Serpentina

Dec 10, 2012
Wow...
Bob really geeked out over the Mario Canon...
Can't tell if thats kinda sad
¬_>¬
Or kinda freaking cute...

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
"...if comic continuity was a person, then you would never be able to ostracize them fast enough."

~Yahtzee Croshaw

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The Super Mario tangent was fantastic.

I like to think of LotR or Harry Potter as examples of depth in a universe. It just feels like there is so much more going on in the world than just the events that are taking place within the window of the world that we are watching. Star Wars, yes, Star Trek, definitely (all those tv series added up).