The Big Picture: Continuity Wars

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The unfortunate thing about Super Mario continuity is that my favorite installment Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars would probably have to be in a parallel universe at this point :(

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Is Mario continuity a thing?

Why have I never heard the arguments for it? Against it? Why does no one debate it? Can we start doing that? Zelda timeline arguments are fun enough, in that pedantic way that cataloging every minute detail of a large series can be, but the Mario games have enough breadth that we should be having a field day with this.

And ooh, Star Wars extended universe, I'm so enthralled and eager and hey, how about we talk about all this Mario Cannon?

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Hey Bob? I seem to remember you suggesting an early game overthinker video about Mario continuity. Perhaps now is the time, and now is the series.

demalo

Aug 16, 2011
Alright, this is how you solve the continuity problem. You remember the last twilght movie right? The one with the big fight scene in the end where important characters died and it was nearly the end of the world, blah, blah... the one that the psychic vampire had a vision of?

That's Luke in the new movie. Now he's either seen the future (the entire EU book line) or experienced it through some sort of extreme force meditation and he sets out to keep that future from happening. It may be a turd of an idea, but it's the best looking turd in this septic system that I can find.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
At the risk of committing heresy, I believe Star Trek has the answer to Star Wars continuity:
Bam, there you go. Simply regard the EU material as an alternate reality, where different decisions led to different circumstances and outcomes than the films.

Andre Nilsson

May 31, 2011
Do an episode on the Mario time line please. that was more interesting than the star wars things you said. but than again I am bigger fan of mario than of star wars

William Greeson

Nov 13, 2012
Neverhoodian said:
At the risk of committing heresy, I believe Star Trek has the answer to Star Wars continuity:
Bam, there you go. Simply regard the EU material as an alternate reality, where different decisions led to different circumstances and outcomes than the films.
I, in fact, tend to do this with all KINDS of different fandoms.

It let me enjoy the new Star Trek movie as refreshing while not eventually pooping on them. Many people seem to think this over-writes the old canon, but it's simply telling you where it lies. This is a new reality, but the old one didn't happen, it happened in an alternate timeline that Spock never died in, he simply vanished into the Aether.(Which is soooo cool.:D)

It lets me enjoy things like M2 that Marvel ran with a while back. I loved Spider Girl, but she will never be canon.

I think you really have to pay attention to continuity when they ask us to, otherwise it's kind of an unneeded hassle.
Of course I'm also one of those weird guys who liked all the old dmc games and also really enjoyed the new one too.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Continuity can be fun when it's something like surprise Beast Wars ties into Transformers G1 continuity or when Batman Beyond would bring up something from Batman the Animated series.

But I'm just not a fan of being a slave to continuity. Personally I'd rather just forget the Star Wars prequel films ever happened. It's also nice to say the Transformers movies happen in some weird alternate reality so Decepticons can be cool in other realities. And occasionally it's fun to just bust continuity all to hell like when Battlestar Galactica said hey lets mess with expectations and make Starbuck a woman.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Wow Bob. You are the geekest.

My everlasting respect for that mario stuff. I honestly didnt even know it HAD a story besides that fucking princess getting repeatedly abducted. How about some self-defense lessons, eh?!

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
This brings to mind two words. Two very fearsome words.

Robocop reboot.

Bob must do an episode about it...or at least mention it in a junk drawer ep.

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
Chrono212 said:
I want a whole episode of Bob explain the internal continuity, culture, denizens etc. of all the Mario games as seriously as a real anthropologist (exopologist?).
Xenologist.

I'm with Bob on the Mario thing, though. Subcon being a dream makes no sense. Two instances of interdimensional travel in one man's lifetime (well, two) is slightly less nonsensical, in context. Of course, this does not explain Peach and how a human got to be ruler of a bunch of mushroom people. Is she an amnesiac person from a human planet with nothing resembling a Prime Directive?

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
See, I never understood why fans would even WANT adaptations of the EU. That's kind of boring init? Wouldn't new stories with new surprises and new characters be much more interesting? Hell, I bet they might even cherry pick a thing or two from the EU, such as Mara Jade, but maybe mess with them. Give us a new spin. I hope so.

Daw

Apr 6, 2009
It is very sad they will ignore the books because lots of them have more compelling stories than the films did because they had to grab the attention of the reader more than a big budget film did.

I haven't read so many that i am stuck in that universe but I'll be hugely disappointed if Mara jade doesn't come around, and they don't give thrawn a series thought.

Basically Disney brought star-wars to make money, Filming what is already in book form into large block buster movies is a license to print star-wars decorated money but they are going to risk it instead by giving it over to people who clearly can't think of anything new to tell the new story... doesn't that seem completely wrong? I wouldn't give a monkey math homework and expect string theory on its return.

Why are we expecting old tired dried up writers who only want to sell the public a boring basic sell as much as it can title that will be forgotten so the next one can sell just as well.
The people who wrote the books had the imagination to take the series somewhere dark and deep while staying true and clearly doing well enough that they sold as books, as films they will kill.

I just don't want to see 10 years later "The real re-telling of after return of the jedi, based on the books!"

I still stand strong on my point of "If they want to fuck around and play with stuff, why can't they use the old republic time line, or something similar?" same with these off shoots they are doing, They don't need to sell on the characters, when they could sell on the universe Star-trek did decently in its series spin offs.
Which is a reason the reboot shouldn't have happened we could've been given a new captain entirely or not fucked with the timeline for no reason.

Younger actors playing characters we love, Love stories being shallow selling points.
Explosions, Lightsabre fights with no depth i see just to sell, when the blue print they have.

See Transformers, An animated series to sell toys to kids, loved by many rebooted into the American military working with giant robots and explosions.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Continuity has nothing on "tone".
I don't care much for continuity or reboots etc, as long as the tone or purpose of the work is interesting enough to stand on its own. I enjoyed JJ Abrams Star Trek as an action film, because what I watched was most certainly NOT Roddenberry's "Star Trek" (for better or worse).

And in that, I don't really care that Star Wars is being "resurrected" or is getting three new "in-canon" films.
Nor do I care about lore "continuity".
It is all but certain that Disney/Abrams will never recapture the tone that made the original trilogy great, mostly because they know they don't have to. Exploitation of nerd/geek culture is in vogue whether you like it or not.

So why bother getting excited again?
Or for that matter, why bother getting angry again?
There's no point in pining over the loss of the continuity of works that were never really "canon" to begin with.

Even in the prequels, Lucas showed that he did not give a FUCK about those ancillary Jedi from the comics.
It blows my mind that people willingly ignore the fact that the prequels were basically made to churn out merchandise by the gigaton. Continuity for the merchandise is scarcely an afterthought, partly by necessity but mostly because it doesn't really matter to the creators; it's just a means to an end.

(I'm guessing the only parts of Ep III people remember are Hayden Christensen murdering children, and Darth Vader pining. Order 66 might as well have read "Rocks fall and all the Jedi from the comics died").

These are no longer films made for telling a good story or demonstrating filming technique, they are marketing hubs to spur business transactions. Treat them as such.