The Big Picture: Cooking Show - A Look at Too Many Cooks

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Cooking Show - A Look at Too Many Cooks

Bob talks about the fantastically weird and darkly hilarious viral short from Adult Swim.

Watch Video

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
At this point, I'd say hoof out Family Guy and just fill it with Williams Street stuff.

King of the Hill, American Dad and Cleveland Show can stay, though. They're good in my book.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I've heard a lot of good things about Venture Bros here and there, I want to check it out sometime but to my knowledge it's not out on DVD where I live.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
(Warning, incoming TVTropes link)

Adult Swim: Our mission statement is Cerebus Syndrome [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CerebusSyndrome].

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Part of what made this a sensation was the relative novelty in pop culture. Telling people who were attracted by novelty to dig deeper into something that becomes rather mundane is probably not going to accomplish anything.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
Is it just me or does this seem a lot like some of the tactics that trey parker and matt stone use in their feature length stuff?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I've heard a lot of good things about Venture Bros here and there, I want to check it out sometime but to my knowledge it's not out on DVD where I live.
This might help you get caught up with the series, I know you can find it on dvd on amazon, I'm sure its around other places too like half.com, but Im not sure what kind of sites ship to the Netherlands.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
:Watches too many cooks on youtube app on xbox one...gaps for air from laugher: This needs to be a real show!

Also Bob, nobody understands Xavier. I doubt adult swim understands him.

Errickfoxy

Jul 14, 2010
You talk about Williams Street, but no mention of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast? That's the creation I'll always remember most fondly.

MADARAmagekyo

Dec 21, 2012
I suffer from insomnia and I caught Too Many Cooks when it premiered after having taken a zanax. After about 5 minutes I felt that I might need to call 911.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Try Netflix. Not sure how far along they've gotten, but I know that they started posting the series a year or two back.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Warning on the too many cooks link. NSFW unless your work is cool with single arm covered breasts.

Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Absolutely wonderful show. I strongly recommend it.

And Man

May 12, 2014
I just recently got into Venture Bros. I'm on the last episode of Season 1, and I've been enjoying it a lot so far. Makes me eager to watch even more, because supposedly the show doesn't start really getting into things until after the first season.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Isn't that basically what most art - or at least pop art - actually is? Revisiting genres and details that affected you early in life and reworking them into a parody, homage, or counter-argument, then gradually filling in your own sensibilities and perspectives until it becomes something all its own? Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Game of Thrones, Disney as well as its influence on manga and anime, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Tarantino's entire filmography, a lot of superheroes, etc.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
I wouldn't mind more discussion about Adult Swim, Venture Bros in particular.

Also, read the title initially as "Too Many Cocks", and I initially went "Dammit Bob, you said that this video would be a fun one!"
Relevant:

Anyways, I've shown Too Many Cooks to a couple people I know... and I've gotten entirely different reactions from each one. One of them asked me why I subjected him to that. Another loved it, but said they'd never watch it again. And the third... just looked at me completely dumbfounded, with nothing to say.

I'll also second the nomination of doing a Venture Bros episode. That show is amazing.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Though I'm really hesitant to go out and watch shows (mostly because I'm lazy), this video at least made me pre-emptively watch Too Many Cooks and well, I don't know whether I should be thankful or not. Soon it will be time to spread it to people I know.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Yeah, Adult Swim does have a thing for taking nostalgia, turning it on it's head and becoming its own thing.

Jman1236 said:
:Watches too many cooks on youtube app on xbox one...gaps for air from laugher: This needs to be a real show!

Also Bob, nobody understands Xavier. I doubt adult swim understands him.
This post looks like it is half comment half ad for Xbox One... It just seems so weird to read like you are on some marketing team and have to work the console's name into every comment somehow...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Venture Bros. is my single favorite television show ever, so yeah, take that for what it's worth. It's too bad Justin Hammer and Jackson Publick take ages to churn out new seasons.