The Big Picture: Correctitude

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Currently in the UK, political correctness is targeted for different reasons mentioned in this video (good ones on your part by the way). No, in the UK being PC to some has become trying not to offend minorities at the cost of others regardless over whether said minority was even offended.

Example, the children's book Three Little Pigs was changed to Three Little "Puppies" to not offend Muslims... the problem however is that no Muslim in the UK ever made a complaint and the UK Muslim council themselves called the move out as ridiculous. It was swiftly changed back to pigs. The point being is that when the "PC brigade" say something MIGHT offend a group despite not being apart of it will cause resentment towards said group they're trying to help. Just think of how many BNP (a racist UK political party) jumped on the story above against Muslims?

As for Resident Evil 5 however, tribes still do exist there, if there was an outbreak it would infect them to.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
jmarquiso said:
spectrenihlus said:
You don't have the right to not be offended.

Also I'm still upset they made Nick Fury Black. Not because I'm rascist but because in every subsequent adaption of Nick Fury he will now be black. I just feel that it is disingenuous to the past Nick Fury and when a new generation of comic book readers that came out of watching the cartoons look on old nick fury they will go: "WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY?"

Just take a look at what happened with people who only watched the Justice League cartoon watched the new Green Lantern trailer. All i heard from them is "why isn't he black?"

Although they could have been trolls.
616 Nick Fury is still good ol' white Howling Commando's Nick Fury. The Ultimate Universe, which the movies draw heavily from, created a different sort of war vet for their Nick Fury. Different universes and easily separable.
True but that still doesn't explain why every single subsequent interpretation of Nick Fury has been black.

Wolverine and the X-men-black

Iron Man: Armored Adventures-black

Super Hero Squad-black

Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes-black

I just feel it is disingenuous to the original material to do this. If they really wanted a black character they should have made someone original for that purpose not change the race of an existing character.
Seems to me like it might have been an easy route to travel to get some diversity in the cast. How many other black people were in them? How easy would it have been to add a token black character and not make it seem like racism/pandering?

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
BobDobolina said:
Mmmmm, the last sentence applies to lots of PA's would-be "supporters" or the dicks from 4chan who jumped in, not really to PA themselves. They were tone-deaf and naive at some points but were actually not that unreasonable.
Good point about non-PA defenders/agitators, they were certainly the most grievous offenders. However, I'm fairly certain that a quicker and more sensitive response from PA themselves - and a stronger signal to those rogue elements to reign in their excesses - would have made the situation better. My point is that their misguided stand against "political correctness" helped prevent that from happening.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
jmarquiso said:
Ca3zar416 said:
HankMan said:
Seemed a little more aggravated than usual this week Bob.
I'm pretty sure changing stories and characters to reflect times that the stories aren't set in or adding races that simply weren't there IS political correctness. But otherwise spot on.
I kind of see it more as recognizing great talent over a minor detail. Sure they're supposed to be Norse gods and I can see that point of view as well but, if someone who does not meet the ethnicity but in inarguably better for the plot in the minds of the casting people then that's just rewarding talent.
They're supposed to be a movie re-imagining of marvel's re-imagining of Jack Kirby's re-imagining of Norse Gods - they stopped being Norse Gods generation ago. The movie even implies that they're alien altogether.
Haha, the comic implied a long time ago they were aliens.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Blind Sight said:
I do agree with some of the points, but not all political correctness is just 'being nice', sometimes it DOES exist to surpress the speech of certain individuals. For example, I mentioned this a long time ago on these forums, but last year Ann Coulter was coming to my university. I was actually looking forward to it, not because I'm a fan of hers, but because I wanted to get in there and tear her a new one in the Q&A period. Anyway, a bunch of students got together and started protesting, declaring her discussions as 'hate speech' and 'politically incorrect' (which my god can be applied too broadly).

They protested outside of the building, and began to do some very questionable things after awhile. Flipping over tables, pulling fire alarms, threatening people collecting tickets and generally just blocking the door. Now, this is a university, and I expect that I should have the ability to challenge beliefs in Coulter's in a forum. But no, these students wanted to completely eliminate her event, despite not knowing what she would even talk about. 'Being nice' is not threatening ticket collectors because they are working for an event you dislike. Eventually the event was cancelled.

What's the true, mature response to people like Coulter? To challenge them in a debate and delegitimize their position. Now Coulter looks like the victim and gained sympathy, further helping her along. I'd rather have my racists/sexists/etc. screaming their opinions loud and proud, so we can look at them and realize they're idiots. Political correctness does nothing to solve the underlying problem, it just covers it up. These people still have 'politically incorrect' views, they're just not vocal about it. And it terrifies me that they could end up in positions of political power without people knowing.

But maybe I'm just some horrible, sexist, racist, xenophobic jerk like Bob notes.
No, no it isn't and I agree with you here.

Universities should be open forums for free speech and free thought - and SOME of that is accepting the consequences of what you say. If you say something that a lot of people don't like, expect backlash. Don't blame the PC Police if you get it.

OR

You can learn from it. Listen to what is said honestly, and react. Like what you planned to do in the Q & A session. It was a great response.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
Baresark said:
Haha, I agree mostly. There are cases where the political correctness argument is very valid. I wouldn't go as far as saying PC doesn't exist and your just a loudmouth as being a completely valid arguments. I like how you touched on the Black Heimdall thing. I am a comic book purist, and I would have liked nothing more than a completely faithful translation. I have known for a long time now that things like this will never happen. But, people should be able to disagree with a movie casting, period. I don't care for how all arguments against it are made invalid because of the color of his skin. I am fine with him being in the movie, it's not like it's a major part really. I hate the accusation of racism as a counter to the political correctness argument even more than the the political correctness argument. This has given me much to think about.

I think we all know the difference between political correctness and people just being asses though.
Thank you, I know it's only a minor part but having a black man play a norse god just never felt right to me. I hate agreeing with the people arguing against the casting due entirely to racism but this time, they actually have a point now that I think about it. When your argument against it is "This is the 21st century, be more progressive" that is when I start to see more political correctness (let's face it, it's definition has changed) and accusations of racism from the other side of the argument. Imagine if a role typically done by a black actress was instead done by a white actress? You'd hear the outrage from space.

I will still be seeing Thor because let's face it, I'm not as much of a comic nerd as I'd like to be.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
SamElliot said:
Therumancer said:
I'll say flat out bigotry is what society needs more of right now, people who are willing to flat out ignore political correctness and what's nice, focus on problems like a laser, and work to correct them even if it involves being mean. Honestly I think political correctness perpetuates problems and actually does more damage to the people it sets out to protect than it helps them... largely because it tells them that things that aren't okay are just fine.
Up until this point, I disagreed with some of the things you said, but could find common ground with your arguments, but this...this is indefensible.

First of all, bigotry and "ignoring political correctness" does not "focus on problems like a laser." In fact, if anything, it clouds the real issues. Take the so-called "War on Terror," for instance, which has really been America's bloodlust against Muslims. People in this country have played into Osama bin Laden's hands by turning it into a religious war. In our haste to fight back at these "Arabs" that killed our citizens, despite our complicity in the creation of their mindset (government support of dictators, propping up Afghani rebels during the Soviet invasion, only to abandon them after the war ravaged most of their country, etc.), and proceed to persecute people who "look" like they are Muslim, act angry or fearful when we see actual Muslims do benign things like pray towards Mecca, or even claim that we should just "nuke the entire Middle East," a quote I've heard several times from people of various social backgrounds. It's not helpful, it offer no insight, and in fact makes we, the people easier to manipulate by the powers that be by having us fight each other rather than the corrupt systems that want power and money. I have problems with certain elements of Islam (mostly how it's practiced in certain regions of the Middle East), but I'm not going to hate every single Muslim that I see and claim that "they are all the same" just because of those problems (why, if I were to do that to a white Christian without having heard a word they said or seen their actions, everyone would be pointing out all the numerous ways they could be different).

Despite the protestations of a lot of people, "political correctness" is not this pervasive, all-threatening entity that's driving us to ignore the problem (anyone who thinks it is hasn't been watching the news, since we let a lot of incorrect statements like "All terrorists are Muslims" go unchallenged). Is it sometimes really stupid? Yes, but the "anti-PC" movement is a lot dumber (Larry the Cable Guy titled a chapter in his hack book "David Cross and the PC Police," despite Cross being about as un-PC as modern comedians get) and way more destructive to society, as what they are really doing is goading the dumb into hating minorities so that they can be sold their own racism back to them.
Well, no point is going to have everyone agreeing with it. Like a lot of things I post, some people wind up agreeing with me, but given the political leanings of most here the majority don't. This really is Bob's crowd so to speak.

To me, you seen to illustrate a big part of the problem with political correctness, and of course you believe what your saying. If there weren't a lot of people like you, there wouldn't be arguements like this taking place.

When you get down to it, our disagreement is largely going to come down to the specifics of incidents. For example I do not believe there is any real "American Bloodlust against Muslims", though truthfully I think it would be a good thing if there was as you might gather from a lot of my other posts on the subject.

In the end as I see things the problem is the muslim culture throughout the Middle Eastern geographic region. These problems have existed for a very long time, going back to when I was a little kid, and probably beforehand. A lot of the things the politically correct use to claim our actions in the region are unjust, were actually attempts at a measured response. Rather than invading we tried to work with the various leaders in the region, including dictators to stop the violence that way. Backing guys like Saddam Hussein was done to back one of the more progressive factions in the region, in hopes that they could balance out countries like Iran without us having to invade, and perhaps even plant the seens of a renaissance of sorts in the region. The ultimate failure of these kinds of actions in the region, along with general diplomacy, is exactly why I think bigotry against the region is not a bad thing. Right now people want to try and convince themselves that we're dealing with a radical fringe within the culture, and that most of the people want change and progress, when that really isn't true. One of our big difficulties is that progressive leaders that want to reform these societies, or even just work with us, usually wind up facing rebellions. Pakistan is a good recent example, where the goverment was on our side, but the people themselves were not and turned on their own leadership because the people themselves support the terrorists and what they stand for. We also see it in Iraq or Afghanistan where after toppling the goverments and giving the people a chance to set new laws and policies, they don't even try for the seeds of progress, declare their nations "Islamic", and ultimatly kill every ambition of progress we had through the region. We wanted women's sufferage throughout Iraq and Afghanistan, but the people themselves refused to even plant the seeds of it, and right now in meetings our women who hold positions of authority are forced to wear the traditional heavy robes and pretend to defer to men.

As I see thing it's the tolerance of the region and it's behaviors, that has lead to problems getting this far, and the continued threat. Of course a lot of it is also that changing anything in the region is going to involve actions defined by the UN as Genocide (since by their own very PC logic, we should preserve things that want to kill us). Nobody wants to go to war, or put that much blood on their hands (even I don't exactly revel in the thought despite the points I make), and political correctness and messages of tolerance provide a conveinent way of avoiding reality while claiming to be involved in some kind of maligned moral crusade.

See, it's easy to say "we deserve this for supporting the dictators", but who is going to wind up in charge of these countries if they are gone? Chances are for all pretensions of freedom, it will be another dictator, another group of theocrats, or whomever which is liable to have a very anti-western agenda since in many cases it's support of us that has caused a lot of discontent to begin with. It's like how in Egypt there really isn't any clear replacement for the leader they are removing, all you see are people who just want that guy gone. The biggest faction (which are not the overall majority there at least) being hard core Islamics who want to turn it into an Islamic nation run under Islamic law. None of the groups there seem to really want any kind of truely progressive goverment, and really all the options that seem viable are worse than the dictator they got rid of, or constant civil war. The tradgedy of the situation being that there is no real solution.

I'll also say that a big part of political correctness in situations like this is the attitude that for whatever reason it's wrong for the US to pursue it's own interests, but not for other nations to pursue theirs even when they conflict with us. In a lot of conflicts, as I frequently say, the issue is "us or them" right and wrong isn't a part of it. They pursue their agenda with what they have, we pursue ours, just because we're a big country and liable to win (easily) doesn't mean that I feel it's somehow wrong. Of course then again a lot of the opposition typically comes down to people not wanting to actually have to do anything, given that they are fat, happy, and content. Nobody wants to head out to war, or see their loved ones do so, and whether or not it's right in the big picture nobody wants to look at burning cities and millions of dead civilians and think "we did that" (unless they are a total sociopath).

I doubt we're going to agree here, but the point is that I say bigotry is good because you need to single out problems and address them. In most cases political correctness amounts to a problem being too big, or too morally ambigious, for people to want to deal with. They would rather not do anything, take what they see as a moral high ground (even if it's not), and hope for a magical solution than take any kind of action. To be honest a lot of those failed attempts in situations like the ongoing Middle East crisis, are the result of political correctness. We backed dictators like Saddam hoping that with our help the region would progress, and our assistance would convince them we weren't the enemy. With the majority of people being anti-western (not a fringe minority) we wanted to avoid going into places like Iran directly because of this, and instead were trying to help Muslims sort it all out themselves. Failed attempts like this made things worse, and honestly, the situations I propose are extreme (even if they would help with global overpopulation) but truthfuly I think if we had acted more directly decades ago the situation wouldn't currently be so
messed up.

In the end though we are going to have to agree to disagree. I actually do believe in trying tolerance, and diplomacy first, but there is a point where you have to admit that it's not working, and start singling groups of people out and take action, even drastic action if you want anything to change.

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
GO BOB GO!!! Fuck yeah man, bout time someone on The Escapist Payroll finally said something about this. Main reason i have such a low post score isn't because have nothing to say, it's because i know words mean things!! So i keep my risk of being this monster who was in the military but still believes that gays should serve openly![/sarcasm]. I love it how you mention the progressive agenda as being a monster then in the scene right after you show Glenn Beck, man i wish someone would just shut him up permanently either by coercion or otherwise....

Great clip all around i couldn't agree more!

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
jmarquiso said:
spectrenihlus said:

Also I'm still upset they made Nick Fury Black. Not because I'm rascist but because in every subsequent adaption of Nick Fury he will now be black. I just feel that it is disingenuous to the past Nick Fury and when a new generation of comic book readers that came out of watching the cartoons look on old nick fury they will go: "WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY?"

Just take a look at what happened with people who only watched the Justice League cartoon watched the new Green Lantern trailer. All i heard from them is "why isn't he black?"

616 Nick Fury is still good ol' white Howling Commando's Nick Fury. The Ultimate Universe, which the movies draw heavily from, created a different sort of war vet for their Nick Fury. Different universes and easily separable.
True but that still doesn't explain why every single subsequent interpretation of Nick Fury has been black.

Super Hero Squad-black

I just feel it is disingenuous to the original material to do this. If they really wanted a black character they should have made someone original for that purpose not change the race of an existing character.
Why? How does Nick Fury function as a character in these universes? SHIELD leader, superspy, etc? Why does it matter if he is or isn't black in this case? Does he function as Super-spy WWII vet?

Because if he did, and we were being pure about it, he's extremely f-cking old.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Hmm... I was only a child, but I find it odd that I seem to remember a big threat in the 90's when you don't. While foreign terrorism became this last decade's target, the 90's was all about domestic terror. Between the Waco massacre, the OKC bombings, Columbine, and the texas 7 breakout, I can't remember very many times of my childhood when my teachers weren't scaring us into a dark corner at the prospect of psychos with assault rifles breaking down the doors and murdering everyone at the school, including the small whimpering children. That isn't really hyperbole either, my teachers were the complete counter-point to the prospect of rationalism.

As for the actual point of the video, I do agree. There are so many people that claim that political correctness is destroying this country or destroy the UK when they're really just pissed off that they aren't allowed to be racist bigots. I do find many cases of political correctness to be quite asinine (just look up what George Carlin had to say on it and you'll see what I'm talking about), but not in a cases where people are just trying to be nasty to one another.

Espsychologist

Sep 30, 2010
Ashoten said:
O dang I just had another thought. A couple months ago I finally got on itunes and bought several of H.P. Lovecraft stories collected into audio books.(I retain information better if I can hear it). I loved the stories and see why they get the praise they do from geek culture. I also remember thinking and commenting to my friends that some of the language was dated and could be easily misinterpreted as racist. Particularly some of the terminology used to discuss tribes of people in distant lands. This is maybe similar to what you were talking about with the Tom Sawyer book being updated. I hate to think how someone might butcher H.P.s stuff if they tried to make it "PC". The olden time terminology is part of the mystique of the whole thing for me.
I completely agree and wish to add the great Robert E. Howard's name to the list of authors that would be positively RUINED by making their work PC.

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
(This has nothing to do with the rest of the post, but i feel i should bring this up. Sexual harassment is one of the most stupid laws ever, since it´s the VICTIM who defines the crime, and not a third-person/book. For example, whistling may be for some women completly acceptable and maybe even flattering, but for other, IT`S SEXUAL HARASSMENT. Laws need to be clearly defined, not be defined by the victim.)
This is true...considering women will call sexual harassment if a guy looks at them when they're wearing a shirt with half their tits popping out and a miniskirt low enough to show off their butt.

As to the video bob...love it...you make an extremely valid and poignant point...after all political correctness in and of itself is a hard to define notion.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
A bit weak man......... PC is used by the jerks not by the people who want to tell the jerks what reality is.

Politically correct is the ability to be offended by anything....

Also Jeff Dummham is funny.... you are not...least not all the time. ^_~

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
conflictofinterests said:
spectrenihlus said:
jmarquiso said:
spectrenihlus said:

Super Hero Squad-black

Seems to me like it might have been an easy route to travel to get some diversity in the cast. How many other black people were in them? How easy would it have been to add a token black character and not make it seem like racism/pandering?
Nick Fury is the leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. it is made out of hundreds of agents. They could have easily given him a subordinate/second in command who just happens to be black. Yes turning Nick Fury black was a way to increase diversity but I doubt that he will ever be white again. Like I said just take the Green Lantern example, people got upset that the titular character was being played by Ryan Renolds because the only previous experience they had with a Green Lantern was with John Stewart in the Justice League cartoons.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
There is another thing as well. I do agree with you most of the time Bob but in this you seem to be saying that making fun of ANY kind of racial or religious issue is a low blow. But back in your Escape to the Movies review of Four Lions, didn't you praise what they had achieve by umm... DOING EXACTLY THAT?