The Big Picture: Done With Dark

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
I'm sick of you ragging on the 90's. Especially their comics.... Especially, especially Spawn.

News flash.

The golden age of comics sucks donkey balls. The silver age sucked more of the same.

The 90's was the best comic age... by a large margin.

At-least they were trying something new. Something that wasn't a thinly veiled attempt to put patriotism in pyjamas and have kids bust a nut over it.

At-least 90's comics had a plot.

The early days of Spawn and the Darkness remain as some of my favourite series of all time.
Cool Story Bro.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I enjoy "dark and gritty" as much as the next guy, but can we stop pretending that this is what passes for mature. If the original source material is dark or suitable for a darker re-interpretation, then that's OK. However, shoehorning it in to appeal to a more grown-up demographic is ridiculous.

I watched the first Transformers, it made no sense so I ignored the sequel. The only person I know who enjoyed Transformers is a 13-year-old boy who has the hots for Megan Fox. These properties are made dark and gritty ostensibly to appeal to adults, but it is the kids who want to watch them because they seem edgy.

Also, Care Bear with a machine-gun says it all.

BlackWolf100

Oct 15, 2010
i at times try to get myself in to superhero comics (mostly marval and dc)but every time i step in to the shops (store), i seem to be sarounded with grim and pritty depressingly complex stories about death and nagative chooses on depressing plots with depressing characters.

there are some that did light up or made me feel good like all star superman or the classic new justes leage. so i'm not comprable seeing well known or unknown heros being tourtherd and superheros going pycho on people and being bruded.

so bob if you could one day make the 10 ten possotive marvel, dc or other comics with superheros in them or similer.

like your thoughts bob.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Thor was really good, I saw it with a friend, there was a lot of laughs in the Cinema, everyone got to hear me go postal about Source Code (NO! NOT EVEN SCIENCE!!! WOULD LET HIM ALTER TIME!)

But seriously, I actually want to point out that Thor is about Arrogance. He's a rude, spoiled asshole who only thinks of himself and glory and the entire movie is about him coming to terms with becoming humble. Throw in Loki's own crisii of where he belongs and who's side he's even really on. And you have a damn good movie.

Seriously, see Thor.

Also everyone in the Cinema found it funny that they showed trailers for Green Lantern and Captain America back to back.

I wont spoil the stinger at the end, but lets just say the tag line that 'Thor will return in The Avengers' just led everyone to going "No Shit!"

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Axolotl said:
omegawyrm said:
Axolotl said:
Altercator said:
After surveying the mess he have wrought with Watchmen in the 90's, Alan Moore decides he had enough of the GrimDark in comics, and answers back with the more positive Tom Strong, an old-school throwback to the HappyFun superhero stories of yore, only this time with modern twists on that.
Then he made a comic reinterpreting childldren's fairytales as peadophilia, so it's not like he totally rid himself of making grimdark stuff.

But the 90's trends weren't that bad, sure most of it sucked alot but we got Sandman so it wasn't all bad.
Lost Girls was not a grimdark comic. It's about the joy of sexual liberation and freedom, in everything from the art to the symbolism. That is not a grimdark idea.
How about the League then where one of the main characters gets brutally raped to death? Or even From Hell which is apprantly so horrifying a description of it caused Neil Gaiman to be sick?
Actually I'd say that LoEG is a pretty good example of a gritty reboot, even though I quite enjoyed it. Black Dosiier was pretty upbeat though.

From Hell on the other hand... I don't think that it's possible to do Jack the Ripper without grimdark. It's a story about a guy killing and dismembering several prostitutes. I don't think Moore made it any more or less disturbing then it already was.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
lord.jeff said:
Tarkand said:
Batman forever was just a bad movie, they did do a good campy version though, it's called "Batman: The Brave and the Bold"
No denying that. But it is a campy batman movie, and it sucked. The other campy batman movies also happened to suck.

There's a pattern there - now it doesn't mean a good campy batman is movie is impossible to do, but it does show that 'dark and gritty' batman works. And if it works, why not do it? Why rail against it? There is room for dark and gritty in media.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold isn't a 'live action' movie.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Agreed entirely...although I think there's a more complex dynamic going on here than Bob has addressed: the power of marketing. Movies like Transformers walk a weird line, trying to appeal to three levels of audience: the kids, who like the toys; teens, who like action and sex; and the parents, who liked the toys as kids, sex and action as teens, and now want to feel vaguely entertained while they haul their kids and teens in to see the movie. Only the hardcore nerd-geek fans who don't (usually) don't have kids and are still suffering from arrested development get all worked up over whether or not the movie reaches their comfort zone of perceived "maturity."

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Tarkand said:
lord.jeff said:
Tarkand said:
Batman forever was just a bad movie, they did do a good campy version though, it's called "Batman: The Brave and the Bold"
No denying that. But it is a campy batman movie, and it sucked. The other campy batman movies also happened to suck.

There's a pattern there.

I think the pattern is because they had the same director and when did this argument become limited to live action only?

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
lord.jeff said:
Tarkand said:
lord.jeff said:
Tarkand said:

There's a pattern there.

I think the pattern is because they had the same director and when did this argument become limited to live action only?
The point I made was about life action movies I suppose. Like I said, as far Batman (live action) movie go, dark and gritty has been proved to work... campy, well, Schumacher failed miserably at it. Keep in mind I have never claimed it couldn't be made or couldn't work... I don't personally think it could to be honest, but I've certainly been wrong before.

Cartoon and comic books in general are better medium for campiness than anything live action. It's much easier to have 'campy' become cheesy or over the stuff when it's real people doing it. I'm fully aware that they are more 'four color' batman comic out there who works very well.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
Since when is Transformers dark? It's silly and there's plenty of action. Even Sam trying to get laid is done with humor. Of all the movies to pick, THAT is the one you go with?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I saw Thor the other week; and it took me back to the first time I saw 'Superman' when I was 10. This character is larger than life, he fills any room he walks into. Although the two have a different journey to take, both movies concerned themselves with building up the hero.

In Thor's case it also helped to make his triumphant return to his full status by movie's end far more appealing. Even the romance doesn't suck, but best of all, its not a totally happy ending. The ending is a good one, but is more bittersweet.

As for the subject at hand; certain heroes lend themselves to the grim and gritty set, Batman is one, Spawn is another. However, such an approach is not appropriate for Superman, or Captain Marvel.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Scrumpmonkey said:
This week; Bob contorts more of history to fit in with his opinions on the 90s! The US comics industry didn't "Almost kills its self" (well DC did) and i don't really think you can blame Todd Mcfarlane (actually the HBO series of Spawn from season 2 onwards is actually pretty special, worth a look IMO)
Umm yes it did. Marvel filed for bankruptcy and Valiant went under. The industry hasn't made the same amount of money in years.

Tv tropes has a pretty good article on it:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheGreatComicsCrashOf1996

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Lord_Kristof said:
I can understand why Bob is tired of the gritty reboot and all, but I wouldn't have comic books any other way.

My favourite comics of old: Batman vs Predator, Spider Man (around the Venom and Carnage period), Batman (around the Knightfall bit) and X-Men (same period, early 1990's).

My favourite comics of now: Sin City, 300, The Killing Joke, Watchmen, Batman: Year One.

So yeah, I really don't see why the gritty reboot is a bad thing. I get it that it can be silly - with Transformers, which I haven't watched, I can't really see it working out because it's too 'silly' to begin with. With Thor... I'm having my doubts, because for me the whole Avengers thing doesn't add up. You've got Iron Man... COOL, that's a really cool character. Then you've got Cap America... yeah, maybe, could work. The Hulk. Umm... ok, why would he join them, but alright... and Thor. A cool character by himself, but one that doesn't fit the same Universe as inhabited by The Punisher, the X-Men and Spiderman. It just doesn't make any sense... a genius multi-millionaire, a WWII supersoldier, a mutating brute and... a Nordic God? What?

So yeah, for someone who's into comics, but not a comic-book geek... does not compute. I'll surely enjoy the movie and all, but it'll take a lot of suspension of disbelief on my part to watch the Avengers without feeling like a five year old who's easy to impress by anything.
If you want to see an example of the Avengers done well with all the siliness you mentioned above PLUS a socialite, a nuerotic but outstanding scientist, an EVIL a.i., a foreign King, a being of living energy, AND an egotist deadeye secret agent (okay a couple of those) then you should check out Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It's a series that just debuted this year and I can't wait to get it on DVD. It NAILS what superhero stories are all about to me.

Just throwing that out there. (It's worth it just for the Wasp's performance actually.)

Bob, I think this ep. was your Magnum Opus. Seriously man, thank you for saying what I've been thinking and debating with my friends ever since DCs poorly chosen "let the fans decide if Robin lives or dies" campaign which heralded the end of my comic collecting days. Well done. I couldn't say it any better, so I won't say any more. Bravo Zulu m'man!