The Big Picture: E3-mageddon: Crossover

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
antithinker said:
"I am large. I contain multiple dudes" -Walt Disney said that.
Say what you want about strawmanning (which is pretty obvious and intentional anyways), but that one line was pretty hilarious.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
JoJo said:
themilo504 said:
I mostly just want new info for smash bros, It?s the game that I?m probably going to play the most on my 3ds during the summer vacation.
Unless your summer vacation is in October, I think you're out of luck [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11634-Super-Smash-Bros-For-3DS-Gets-Official-Release-Date] :p
well that?s unfortunately, I still really want news though.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Well, that's one way to get people caught up on Game OverThinker and encourage people to watch it.
Considering I couldn't watch more than 52 seconds of the video before closing it, I'm not sure I agree about the encouraging bit.

Honestly can't stand Game Overthinker anymore. It was an interesting show before he started adding all the extra "characters," but now? No thanks. :|

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Yikes that was awful. I get that you were going for the "so bad it's good" appeal, but you just landed in "so bad it was unwatchable". Bummer, I usually look forward to Big Picture for something interesting.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Avaholic03 said:
Yikes that was awful. I get that you were going for the "so bad it's good" appeal, but you just landed in "so bad it was unwatchable". Bummer, I usually look forward to Big Picture for something interesting.
Agreed. A reminder as to why I don't bother with GO. I like the predictions in the video, but the GO characters are bleh. Going to echo the sentiment that Bob should have just stuck with his Big Picture persona for this one instead of going GO.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It´s a trap, it´s a Game Overthinker episode in disguise, storysegments and everything! Not exactly what i was hoping for. I´m sorry, this was pretty awful and hard to sit through for me. Would have prefered a standard Big Picture episode, looking forward to the post-E3 video.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I don't follow The Game Overthinker so I wonder: is this "Antithinker" basically meant to be Bob's swipe at so-called "dudebros" (ie. the generalized image of Call of Duty fans by people who hate the franchise) and nothing else?
Antithinker symbolises the non Nintendo fans so likes all Microsoft and Sony first party games and 3rd party games from the 4 big western publishers.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
I've spent a few minutes trying to perfectly encapsulate my feelings and express them sufficiently, and I think after really thinking about it and watching it again, my feelings can be summed up as WTF did I just watch? and why did I watch it again?

ok you needed a way to do E3 predictions and make it entertaining, but dear lord that was cringe worthy.
I'm now rather glad I never went to look up the Game Overthinker show and the caricature of dudebro's in "the game anti-thinker" kinda makes me think less of Bob, that was just pitifully unfunny to watch.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Thumbs down this week...

Sorry to say, Bob, but I don't think The Escapist should pick up that show once Blip drops it.
It has waaaaay too much backlog to get through, just for starters.
And I didn't really like anything about it. :(

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Ohlookit said:
I really hope that people "get" that the anti-thinker is a parody and don't tear Bob a new one

-M
This is the internet, which means that they probably won't and instead just complain about how they don't like the sketches. And look, that is exactly what happened. Oh internet, you never fail to disappoint me.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Hey MovieBob, let's talk.

I've been viewing your shows for a while, back when you were only on youtube. And, I was a fan of the GameOverthinker series. Emphasis on the "was". I enjoyed them back when they were purely your commentary on videogames. However, I lost interest in the series because, somewhere along the line, you thought you could act and that adding characters (including the AntiThinker who in no way shows your undying hatred of the dudebrodude jocks that tormented you in highschool) to your show was a good idea. That was not a good idea, that was a terrible idea. And, the final straw (as it were) was when you addressed the criticism of your awful idea, you added a Strawman character (literally a bale of hay) to voice the concerns of the audience, to which you promptly responded with a "fuck you, I'll do what I want" and lit it on fire with your NES lightgun. Now, while that was an extremely immature response to valid criticism, you're able to do whatever you want with your shows, but the fans can also stop watching.

So, here we are now, you're advertising your GameOverthinker show. And, what's this? You've added new characters? Yeah. Way to double down on the terrible ideas. Can we keep the shows separate? You want to do this character crap? Keep it to that other site, assuming they're still willing to air it. Let's not bring it here. Let's not jump the shark.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Retrothinker: Kind of in the same camp as him at the moment, although more for economic reasons at the moment. While some of the XBOne and the PS4 releases are certainly tantalizing, there isn't the madrush feeling to go out and grab one of the new consoles at the moment. I have a feeling once the catalogs fill up, this can change.

Antithinker: While macho power fantasies have been a dime a dozen in gaming since its very creation (hell, just look at Contra and Metal Gear), there is clearly a missed opportunity for any company looking to build games that run contrary to that dynamic. Yes, there was Spec Ops a few years ago, but abnormality of it stands out against the relative sameness of the mainstream (plus, I didn't feel it was anything different from a gunplay mechanics perspective, even if the story and story mechanics were something completely different).

The Intern: Anyone got a rundown on all those inde games? Also, lay off the coffee...

Overthinker: I think there is certainly cause to be positive at this point. Ubisoft is finally dusting off Rainbox Six again (although its unclear what happened to Patriots) and Star Wars Battlefront is starting to look more like the best of Battlefield and the prior Battlefront games combined (having seen only the engine demonstrations and the fact that DICE is working on it). FarCry4 is looking like a serious visual departure from its topics-loving predecessors without getting away from the FC3 game mechanics we love so much (now let's see if they have a better explanation for the player character's combat abilities). A new Civ game with much more radical departures from some of the traditional mechanics (particularly of the new colonization mechanics). Etc. Lots of potential, lots of opportunities for it to screw up, lots of opportunities for something unique. Let's hope it all turns out for the better.

HK_47

Jul 18, 2011
I've watched a few episodes of the Game Overthinker, but every time I just skip the parts with the sketches and watch the actual discussion of the subject matter. Even then GO never seems to get into the kind of depth The Big Picture does, it's more generalised statements of what Bob's thinking at the time.

For a 7 minute video there was at most 2 minutes of content actually covering E3, the rest just seemed like an advertisment for OT.

I know it's meant to be the "it's so bad it's good" kind of show, but I just find the whole thing boring.
The AntiThinkers little bit was amusing enough at first, but it felt too long very quickly, and then just sounded like nothing more then the childish passive aggressive comments found on Tumblr.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Holy shit that was the third most fuck awful thing I've ever seen in my life. I sincerely and without hyperbole cannot think of one good thing to say about whatever the hell it is I just saw. I won't even say, with bitter sarcasm, "It ended" because that means it started at one point.

This video is failure taken physical form. The fact that a person with so little self awareness as to share something like this exist, makes me weep for the human race. There is no doubt in my mind that a flash player crash would have been a genuine improvement. This video was not made it was committed, it was not shown it was inflicted; I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Anti-thinker is basically what a lot of people on the internet assume call of duty players are like.

I don't know why bob still thinks this "Parody" is funny. It's a bad stereotype at best.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
MovieBob said:
E3-mageddon: Crossover

Get a good look at what good and bad may come from E3 2014.

Watch Video
So, Bob, can we assume that Overthinker MAY in fact be coming to the escapist? If so, I welcome that change because that'd be pretty fun and help keep everything under one roof (metaphorically speaking).

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Silverspetz said:
Ohlookit said:
I really hope that people "get" that the anti-thinker is a parody and don't tear Bob a new one

-M
This is the internet, which means that they probably won't and instead just complain about how they don't like the sketches. And look, that is exactly what happened. Oh internet, you never fail to disappoint me.
Perhaps that's because it fails as a parody and feels too much like someones (Bob's) deep seated hatred and resentment for a group of people.
It's like when Kevin Smith used Clerks 2 to have characters moan about how he personally didn't like lord of the rings (or clerks the animated series where he has a go at Seth McFarlane) your basically just listening to the persons one sided argument for why something sucks and you should feel bad for liking that thing

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
He was basically just there to tell people they should feel bad for owning a penis and being white in the most lazy, broadly drawn and superior way possible. Because, you know, that makes you a terrible person now.
Is it wrong that I feel bad about everything but being white and having a penis?

To me this felt like a montage of everything i think is outdated and bad about the internet game 'critic' video genre. It's that grandstanding, horribly forced and overly preachy production that belongs with the TGWTG affiliates back in 2008. Playing multiple characters in your own lecture fantasy where everyone bows before your almighty options and taste all whilst fumbling around at acting, writing, shooting and adding effects.
It's nice to see there's people who can say the things that I wanted to say better than me.

Yes, the forced TGWTG humor is strong with this one. It's what made me ditch that channel all together. Except for when Lindsay decides to review anything.