The Big Picture: E3-mageddon: Crossover

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
Didnt make it to the end of that or even half way through. People doing stupid voices and be-littling themselves just isnt funny or smart. Which is a shame since one of the things I like about the big picture is that its (normally) funny and smart.

Look I know its E3 and you probally threw that together in 10 minutes so you could go to the show, but it shows and sucks.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Scrumpmonkey said:
To me this felt like a montage of everything i think is outdated and bad about the internet game 'critic' video genre. It's that grandstanding, horribly forced and overly preachy production that belongs with the TGWTG affiliates back in 2008. Playing multiple characters in your own lecture fantasy where everyone bows before your almighty options and taste all whilst fumbling around at acting, writing, shooting and adding effects.
Just this. I really enjoy The Big Picture and was hoping to watch another episode of it today. Instead we got... this. Just a sketch about E3 and nothing else. Nothing informative, nothing insightful and, especially, nothing funny. MovieBob should play to his strengths rather that try and fail at TGWTG humour - I usually skip the little sketches in the Nostalgia Critic reviews anyway.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Antithinker: While macho power fantasies have been a dime a dozen in gaming since its very creation (hell, just look at Contra and Metal Gear), ...
Metal Gear? What? Yeah, nothing gets the testosterone pumping like being lectured for 10 minutes about how governments are failing their citizens by improperly disposing of nuclear waste! OH YEAH!

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Are you sure the Anti-Thinker isn't one of the three little pigs? Because he certainly built a house of straw!

*cricket chirps*

...Well, I thought that was clever...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
omegawyrm said:
The Gentleman said:
Antithinker: While macho power fantasies have been a dime a dozen in gaming since its very creation (hell, just look at Contra and Metal Gear), ...
Metal Gear? What? Yeah, nothing gets the testosterone pumping like being lectured for 10 minutes about how governments are failing their citizens by improperly disposing of nuclear waste! OH YEAH!
Bullshit. The mechanics and method may be different, but the "one man defeats a massive army" trope stays the same, even if it involves slipping past them rather than through them.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
The Gentleman said:
omegawyrm said:
The Gentleman said:
Bullshit. The mechanics and method may be different, but the "one man defeats a massive army" trope stays the same, even if it involves slipping past them rather than through them.
Yeah, considering that each one has gotten more esoteric, goofy, political, and melodramatic, if you were primarily playing them as a macho power fantasy, I'm fairly certain you were doing it wrong.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Silverspetz said:
Ohlookit said:
I really hope that people "get" that the anti-thinker is a parody and don't tear Bob a new one

-M
This is the internet, which means that they probably won't and instead just complain about how they don't like the sketches. And look, that is exactly what happened. Oh internet, you never fail to disappoint me.
I'm sure it will be fine. . . Oh Gods No, what have they done!

-M

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
omegawyrm said:
Yeah, considering that each one has gotten more esoteric, goofy, political, and melodramatic, if you were primarily playing them as a macho power fantasy, I'm fairly certain you were doing it wrong.
Yeah... there's nothing manly or macho about this:

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I don't follow The Game Overthinker so I wonder: is this "Antithinker" basically meant to be Bob's swipe at so-called "dudebros" (ie. the generalized image of Call of Duty fans by people who hate the franchise) and nothing else?
Yes. Yes he is.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
no
i started the video, hoping against hope that it was not what i thought it would be, made it till the GO logo.
i like bobs stuff on the escapist but when he talks about games he is usually just so wrong (remember episode about how cartridges should make a return and about a million about how pc gaming is dying)

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
The Gentleman said:
omegawyrm said:
Yeah... there's nothing manly or macho about this:
Wow, we're going right to MGS4? The game where Snake and his male life partner adopt a daughter together? The one where chronic back pain is a gameplay mechanic? Hey, if that's what passes as a macho power fantasy for you, I think that's very progressive. More power to you.

HK_47

Jul 18, 2011
teebeeohh said:
no
i started the video, hoping against hope that it was not what i thought it would be, made it till the GO logo.
i like bobs stuff on the escapist but when he talks about games he is usually just so wrong (remember episode about how cartridges should make a return and about a million about how pc gaming is dying)
To be fair to bob, at the time he stated PC gaming was dying, PC gaming was very much in trouble. Few would have predicted it would have come back as strong as it has.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna assume that you needed time to get E3 stuff together and so you rushed this out to fill the slot for two shows.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
It' like the Avengers movie, but for MovieBob stuff. xD

Well, that one last part of the Avengers where they're all just eating shawarma. ;D

Nice to have it end on a high note. I really liked the Sunset Overdrive. It really looks like great fun. :)
Shame I won't be able to play it. xD

Oh well. I look forward to Dragon age: Inquisition as well. There may be more. I've yet to see everything they're showing off.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
varmintx said:
I had a sneaking suspicion this wouldn't play to the Escapist crowd. I was right.
I'm wondering what the right crowd would be. Irate Gamer fans might enjoy the humour but they would defineately hate the commentary, but maybe it would work with the TGWTG crowd? If Blockbuster Buster can be a thing GO should be able to gain a decent amount of popularity on a site like that. The weird thing is that the sketches relies too much on nostalgia to be understood by children, but at the same time i think children would be more entertained since it has a bit of that silly saturday morning cartoon feel to it. But the commentary is directed towards older people and are also drenched in 90s nostalgia, so it has got to be a very narrow segment that would enjoy the entire package.

But kudos to Bob to be so passionate about his show, i don't like GO, but i admire that he stays true to his vision no matter how much people dismiss it.