The Big Picture: Fair Game

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Soooooooooo, now I'm a fanboy. A fanboy of MovieBob. Better act like one: Hey guys check Moviebob out in the www.screwattack.com as gameroverthinker and this site sucked until he was in it, now it's ok. :p

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
Oh, so true Bob, so true.

If I'm a big picture fanboy then what's the opposite?

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
The BBC do the whole fairness thing. And it's so much better than having to suffer fox news.

And it's only natural to compare what you have with it's competitors, seeing as that's all you can compare against. fanboyism is just an extension of this mixed in with a hefty dose of brand loyalty, which is created by either good business practice or a clever marketing division.

We judge Gears of war by killzone because they are alternatives. You can't say "New Vegas has bugs, yet pong never glitched" without looking ridiculous, you compare to what you know.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
What if I happen to agree with this video, but I find many of your other videos as something I can't agree with (not all, just a good number of them). Does that make me a fanboy? Because I'm not sure how your logic applies to this situation.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Hate to say it but yet again Bob hits the nail on its head- and id say Escapist is even worse then most- numerous times ive had to bite my tongue (for want of a better phrase) in fear of my opinion being labelled as a massive flame.
But then again theres the alternative, which creates a horrible and unenjoyable atmosphere of little more then digital swearing matches.
So with no immediate middle ground apparent what are our options?

(also could it be that these unwritten rules may have developed to limit the existence of the second situation?)

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
Did anyone notice how he had two pictures of Picard in the ending monologue, but none of Kirk? He is clearly a fanboy

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I've never really come across this sort of behaviour on the internet, though maybe this post will jinx it and I will be immediatly flooded with accusations of unreasonable bias.

Phat32

Jul 16, 2009
Well I do like InFamous which is a PS3 exclusive, but I also like the Halo Series. So I am a dual fanboy? What about the fact that I like WoW and its a PC exclusive and an MMO to boot. Does that make me an MMO Fanboy? Fraking trolls defining our terms.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
upgray3dd said:
Did anyone notice how he had two pictures of Picard in the ending monologue, but none of Kirk?He is clearly a fanboy
I think that has to be one of the best first posts ever.

Otakuman

Nov 4, 2008
It's the anonymity of the internet that creates this, not just from allowing inexcusable behavior with no repercussions (as from greater internet fuckwad theory), but from the distrust of the source of the information. You don't know if a poster is a honest fan praising Killzone for its virtues, or a viral marketer for Sony trying to sway your opinion. We can't trust the source of opinions because we know nothing about their source, so our natural fear of the unknown causes us to assume the worst by default. That?s why sites like gametrailers can pan games without it being seen as fanboyism, because we know where they?re coming from and trust that they?re not pushing any agenda.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Bob, my new hero. I never thought anyone would touch on this subject, but thank you!! It's cool to have an opinion just as long as you aren't a dick about it... think about those trolls you mentioned... no one really likes them, they're just downers...

edit: I own a Wii since it was big when it came out and I can't afford any more consoles (or they're games, they're just more expensive) and I like Link and Marth. I must be a Nintendo fanboy!!!

I like the Halo series just as well. I'll admit to being an FF7 fanboy, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Mass Effect either.

douchebags...

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
My definition of a fanboy is someone needlessly praising his/her favorite movie franchise/game system/game as the only good one and claiming the others suck. In your example the fanboys are not the ones being called "fanboys", they are the ones doing the calling.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Hmm... I never noticed any of this. At all. Where are you getting these assumptions, I wonder?