The Big Picture: Future Assembly

CrimsonTemplar

Apr 20, 2009
I'd love to see some well done continuity crossovers. ABC is sorta doing that with throwing the odd Lost reference into shows like Once Upon a Time (McCutchin scotch, Apollo candy bars). I think it could get abused as bad as marvel and dc did in the nineties - Infinity Gauntlet was great IMO, Infinity Wsr and Crusade sucked donkey balls.

As for the nod to Raiders of the Lost Ark in the Ten Commandments movie, I would be sorely disappointed if Spielberg didn't plan on doing that.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Shared universes for superheroes makes me cringe. I don't know why, but it always has. I just hate it completely. So I won't be seeing this one.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
There is a legitimate problem with too much continuity from an objective standpoint. It could very well work with The Avengers, because the characters need no real introduction, they're cultural icons that most people who grew up some time in the last 30 years should be somewhat familiar with. Most of the people who will go see The Avengers may have seen all the previous films, some of them might have only seen one or two, and some may have seen none of them, and yet most of the people that will go see it will be able to follow what is going on to some degree.

But continuity in general falls victim to something I would call the "Anime Problem" as it pertains to television. It's hard to air anime on television because most people will stumble upon somewhere mid-way through the series and will have no idea what is going on, and the confusion will lead to people tuning it out. Since most anime have some kind of central story, it makes it hard to get a dedicated fanbase on general television. Bad dubs don't help either.

When you think about the most popular TV series, most of them are very episodic in nature, you don't need to see all the preceding episodes to get what's going on in the current one, for the most part. There are notable exceptions like "Lost", but for every one of them you have a completely failed attempt at story-driven drama like NBC's "The Event". It's also why comedies and cop dramas do the best on network television, because the formula lends itself very well to disconnected episodes.

However, we're not talking about television, but movies. Sequels to popular movies usually do garner some amount of success, but don't tend to last into the third and fourth movies because they don't tend to be that great and it just becomes harder to market it over time. But what Bob seems to be talking about here is not so much direct sequels, but mashups of characters from different movies. This has a pitfall as well, take the "The Departed + The Town" example, people who have not seen both movies will not know the main characters, and so Hollywood will feel forced to re-introduce them and re-establish their characters, and at that point why even bother?

Forcing people to watch all your other movies before watching the one being advertised might be an attractive business model, but I don't ultimately feel it will be successful unless the characters themselves are well-known and don't require a lot of background to the character, scenario, or story. Doing it on a small scale (like the Al-Quaeda idea) might work as a creative thing, but won't really draw any more people to the theaters than if they just did things the way they always did them. Bringing two or more separate plot lines together is a hard thing to do for accomplished writers and often goes wrong (as comic books have taught us), and I think Hollywood might take it out for a spin, but it will go wrong and we will go back to the cookie-cutter stuff before too long.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Wasn't something like that tried with US Marshals? You know, using Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones) from The Fugitive in a movie that could have just created a new bounty hunter?

I see potential, but see more potential for abuse: trying to draw in comic geeks to a retro themed romance film by naming the characters Ben and May Parker. Besides, the home of continuity (comics) can't get it straight a lot of the time, let alone giving the task to new people perhaps bitter the only way to get their movie seen is to tie it to something more popular.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Strain42 said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Oh cute, Bob thinks himself an actual critic.
...He gets to go to critic's screenings and gets paid to critique movies. What else would you call that if not an actual critic?
Justin Bieber sells records and has his own concerts, yet I wouldn't call him a musician.
Well that's your own thing then, and I'm not gonna argue with you. But regardless of what you think, he does fall under the definition of a musician.

1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.
2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Bruce Almighty - Evan Almighty.

All the Tarintino movies... many, many more.

This isn't a new concept Bob, people have been doing it for years.
You forgot that guy from Forgetting Sarah Marshall got his own film in Get Him to the Greek. You know, that Russel Brand guy...

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Bruce Almighty - Evan Almighty.

All the Tarintino movies... many, many more.

This isn't a new concept Bob, people have been doing it for years.
Well, with Evan Almighty, I saw that as the studio wanted to do a sequel, but either they couldn't get Jim Carrey or they realised that it wouldn't make sense to use the exact same characters. However, Steve Carrel's career was on the rise and he had a bit part in Bruce Almighty, so...

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
Since Bob said we'll have to wait two weeks for the Avengers movie, I figure this episode was made some time back and he's already seen it, so I'm looking forward for his opinion on it on this week's Escape To The Movies.

In any case, I got my ticket right here, and I won't miss this movie for the world.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
MonkeyPunch said:
The Space Janitor ad is starting to get on my proverbial tits.
I'm on your site already! (and have watched SP) So what more do you want me to do!!? grr
Just be thankful it isn't Game Dogs or Doraleous anymore...

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I've seen the Avengers.

It was good.
I was under the impression it had already come out in the States, though.

here's my review, in short:
This movie is sort of simultaneously easy and difficult to review.

There's not terribly much I can say about it, but on the other hand, I don't really have to.
Here's the short version:
If you have seen if not all, but at least most, of the movies leading up to this, go see it. But you don't need me telling you that. If you are a fan of these characters, or just comic-book movies in general, you already knew what you wanted to do.

The biggest problem (that's simultaneously it's greatest advantage) is that it's not a stand-alone-movie. If you go in this without seeing the previous movies leading to it (Ironman-movies, Thor, Hulk, Captain America) you are not getting the whole experience. Characters and conflicts have been established in those movies, even if you'd be well versed in Marvel-comic-lore, you'd miss out on a lot.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I agree the internet probably made all this possible in the first place. I've been meaning to go watch all those Marvel films for a while now in preparation for the Avengers.

Better get on that sooner rather than later.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
irishda said:
snip

TL;DR Avengers won't change the game for the film industry. In fact, I'm betting the Marvel movies decline in sales (and probably quality) after the Avengers.
I couldn't disagree more. The film industry will not be changed the day, the week, or not even the year after Avengers comes out. And he is not talking about every single movie crossing over into a unified universe. But this is something, based on the success of Avengers, that is a new outlet for the industry for producers, writers and directors that wish to utilize it. This is not the first time continuity has been placed into film either. The character Jay and Silent Bob were the unifying character in Kevin Smith's whole line of Jersey movies. It was only 2 movies where they were the main characters out of 6 movies.

Also, why do you think that Marvel movies will decline and lower in quality after The Avengers? It doesn't make sense for a studio that has had ever growing success based on good writing, great special effects and solid direction to just stop relying on those same aspects to push the movies forward. To an extent anyway. The upside to this whole thing is it's taken a while to work up to this, and none of the movies leading up were written in a manner that makes them pretty great stand alone movies. This doesn't mean they can go all willy nilly and mess it all up in the future, which they may very well do, but I don't think they will walk away from stuff so easily.

I don't want a flame war, and if that is just your opinion, I can deal with that. I was just curious.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Lieju said:
I've seen the Avengers.

It was good.
I was under the impression it had already come out in the States, though.

here's my review, in short:
This movie is sort of simultaneously easy and difficult to review.

There's not terribly much I can say about it, but on the other hand, I don't really have to.
Here's the short version:
If you have seen if not all, but at least most, of the movies leading up to this, go see it. But you don't need me telling you that. If you are a fan of these characters, or just comic-book movies in general, you already knew what you wanted to do.

The biggest problem (that's simultaneously it's greatest advantage) is that it's not a stand-alone-movie. If you go in this without seeing the previous movies leading to it (Ironman-movies, Thor, Hulk, Captain America) you are not getting the whole experience. Characters and conflicts have been established in those movies, even if you'd be well versed in Marvel-comic-lore, you'd miss out on a lot.
The main reason this will be a success is because you are not watering down the story of The Avengers movie by doing origin stories of the characters. It's the reason why people who read Captain America don't sit and wonder in every story arch how Captain America came to be. It's taken care of. The only downside for this will be, IMO, that when you have big names competing on screen then the movies tend to suffer. And I obviously don't mean the actors. It's gonna be hard to balance the fact that my favorite is the Hulk so I want to see more of him, and my buddies favorite is Iron Man (whom I have hated since the Civil War. BASTARDO!)

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Didn't they try doing this with the Transporter but then had people wondering why he didn't do any ass kicking and just delivered the package

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
That's all fine and well, but what does that have to do with Mass Effect 3?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Baresark said:
The main reason this will be a success is because you are not watering down the story of The Avengers movie by doing origin stories of the characters. It's the reason why people who read Captain America don't sit and wonder in every story arch how Captain America came to be. It's taken care of. The only downside for this will be, IMO, that when you have big names competing on screen then the movies tend to suffer. And I obviously don't mean the actors. It's gonna be hard to balance the fact that my favorite is the Hulk so I want to see more of him, and my buddies favorite is Iron Man (whom I have hated since the Civil War. BASTARDO!)
Yes, but it requires you at least know about the characters before seeing this.

And it's clearly meant to people who have already seen the other movies, or most of them.
Unless you have, it's like starting to read a book from the halfway onward, or watch just the last act of the movie.