The Big Picture: Future Assembly

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
So these heroes each had their own movies. Don't let that fool you into thinking the game has been changed. When Avengers comes around, these super heroes will be reduced to two word archetypes (loveable jock, paladin leader, sassy chick, snarky egotist etc.) and it won't make much difference to what will probably be a simplistic, generic, super-team-vs-evil-super-villain, plot. Like the one we've seen in 5 X men films. And two Fantastic 4 films. And even that The League of Extraordinary gentlemen film no one likes to remember.

It has been done.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Bob, the last bit you were talking about already happens in film, its just implicit rather than explicit.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MovieBob said:
MovieBob is looking forward to The Avengers and its influence on film.
I am not too humble, or ashamed, to admit that the remake of 10 Commandments having the Raiders Ark featured in it gave me a Nerdgasm.

I like continuity in (branching) movies, makes it feel like I am watching one big movie instead of a bunch of little ones.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Podunk said:
Does anyone else think it's funny that immediately after Bob pulls out the 'The 90's sucked' picture yet again he says "It became an overused, endlessly repeating crutch"? No? Just me? Okay then.
Well, oddly enough, I just happened to be scanning this topic to see if anybody had pointed it out (just in case I had to do so myself).

Personally, I though the 90s were actually pretty damn awesome.

Also, to you, and also Bob (regarding the Moses/Indy thing), it's never just you. Not necessarily saying it's me, just that it is at leats one other person...:)

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Going to see it on Thursday, I feel for you my American friends.

I don't agree with Bob that this will be a big thing...or that it's likely to be, does he think it's likely? I'm not sure...I think it would be nice and quite cool, it's implied in the odd films here and there but usually only as an afterthought or with cameos, I would have no problem seeing it well done...

I just...don't expect Hollywood to do it well. Perhaps I'm being cynical but I always envisage their attempts to replicate a successful instance as being sub par and on the cheap. Invariably then it's obvious what they're trying to do and kind of annoying. If film makers did this really well, even subtly, I'd enjoy it, even if we're just talking the little nods all the time. Full blown integration would be great for many ideas, though certainly not all but it would need to be done well and I get the feeling a lot of directors would be ham fisted about it.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
I want the robots to win at the end of Terminator, so that it can segue into the Matrix. And the aliens at the end of Sings should have been Aliens... WHAT A TWI/------------->/severed head.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
inb4 the ark is revealed to be from space aliens.
That's the kinda backfire we could get from crossovers.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
April 26, I get to see the first of my most anticipated movie list of the year.

I pray that this movie lives up to the hype.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Seeing The Avengers in a few hours. Go Australia! I'll be sure to come back and spoil the whole thing for you when it's over.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
I noticed that Bob left out naming videogames as a form of distributed media, which I find to be a bit of an oversight in a discussion about geek culture and its "Big Picture". Do you actually play any videogames, Bob? Are you r-e-a-l-l-y a geek? Videogames...are...w-e-i-r-d, too!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I loved that little reference to For Better or For Worse. Going to see the Avengers this weekend.

hobo_fred

Apr 27, 2009
Fair warning! There is stuff at the end of the credits. If you want it to mean anything at all do some basic research into Avengers villains. Tried to make this as unspoileresque as possible.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I love the idea and I disagree with any who say it would alienate viewers. As its been mentioned Clerks/Mallrats/ChasingAmy/Dogma/JayAndSilentBobStrikeBack/clerks2 aka the View Askiewneverse is a brilliant example of how 6 very thematically different films can share many unifying threads and only one of them kinda choked on its own self referencing (Jay and Bob) which IMHO is perfectly natural.

Like the Avengers, that was the big one intended to tie them all together. It can be done and it can be done well.

This is the media giving us a chance to prove it doesn't have dumb itself down to entertain us and I hope it succeeds...all though I fear what would happen if Ryan Renolds gets tapped again for a certain character in a JLA movie.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Haha yes the few times in Australia where we get a movie before the US I'm going to see it tonight wwwwwwwhhhhhhooooooo

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
I think Hollywood already has a big enough problem with derivative sequels, prequels and remakes without adding crossovers to the mix.

Besides, outside of a superhero movie it doesn?t make any sense. Superman and Batman together would be awesome, whereas the Indiana Jones Ark in the 10 Commandments is at the very least groan-worthy.

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
MonkeyPunch said:
The Space Janitor ad is starting to get on my proverbial tits.
I'm on your site already! (and have watched SP) So what more do you want me to do!!? grr

OH MY GOD I KNOW!!!! I tried to show escapist content to some of my friends but not one was able to keep enough interest through the space janitor ad to actually want to watch the real feature. it is an ANTI ad I wish escapist janitors would clean up.