The Big Picture: Going Green: Part I

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Fanboys got so butthurt they formed an organization to protest the change. Why does that not surprise me?

Really, it doesn't. If the whole Parallax thing happened today, then I bet DC would find their website hacked.

Fanboys are idiots, and calling their objections towards something as "pissing and moaning" is the correct thing to do.

I hate to bring this up in comments section of video about comics, but if you want grade A examples of fanboy pissing and moaning then all you need to do is go to the WoW forums during the beta of a new expansion.

Blizzard introduces new lore or progresses current lore, and the fanboys nerd-rage.

So it's no surprise that comic fanboys do it too, and take it to a whole new level.

qou2600

Oct 20, 2009
I've been reading through the green lantern comics for over a year now, starting at the beginning and working my way up. I am currently at the begging of Brightest Day, I have also read the entirety of Zero Hour. That does not make me an expert but it does give me an different perspective. I've noticed a lot of moral messages are imposed on the reader not only in Green Lantern comics but almost all comics. Many of these moral messages are political as well. I enjoy this because by reading multiple comic titles I'm exposed to different ideals and can better understand others points of view. That being said, I understand that DC wasn't trying to be "Politically Correct" or "Anti-Military" or "Feminizing the Culture" when they turned Hal into Parallax but that doesn't mean that there is no political undertone or message there. I get that many of the people who made the arguments toward it being "politically correct" can be seen as "bigots" but it's understandable that a character who is perceived as more of a conservative is turned evil and replaced by a young artist can strike a chord with people who are fans of Green Lantern and read deeply into the underlying messages of comics to get upset with the message that is sent through this event.

Now I get this show is solely Movie Bob's opinion, but I think that it's wrong for the people who disagreed with political implications of the transformation to be completely written off.

That being said I enjoyed the transformation story and the revival story but I disliked how long it took for Hal to come back.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
It's not confusing at all, Bob just left out a LOT of stuff (hope he covers that in part 2) also the fan boys who were like "boooooo Kyle Rayner" and other stuff are dumb asses, Hal turning evil was SO awesome!! Kyle Rayner is also very kick ass as well.

Brusveen

Oct 22, 2008
Well atleast now I know I won't have to bother watching the next episode... I mean seriously I'm starting to find this show pretty misleading, I thought it was supposed to be about games, movies, current events (and maybe a little bit about comics) but at this point they might aswell rename it to the comic blog or some shit like that. I'm not just whining because I'm not in any way, shape or form interested in comics but I really don't think this kind of show is fitting for the escapist.

Last episode I will ever see :(

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Seriously?! Fanboys creating the whole movement JUST to protest a bad decision in a fictional world? That is beyond stupid!

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I always thought Green lantern was one of the Weaker DC heroes, but then I always prefered 2000AD over Marvel and DC altogether.

Watchmen excepted of course

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Nice episode. Very well organized, and you even got the crazy pseudo political stuff in there. Can't wait to see the next one... and that Superman episode. DC, there continuity sucks.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Brusveen said:
Well atleast now I know I won't have to bother watching the next episode... I mean seriously I'm starting to find this show pretty misleading, I thought it was supposed to be about games, movies, current events (and maybe a little bit about comics) but at this point they might aswell rename it to the comic blog or some shit like that. I'm not just whining because I'm not in any way, shape or form interested in comics but I really don't think this kind of show is fitting for the escapist.

Last episode I will ever see :(
The only reason he is doing this is because the GL movie comes out in two weeks. And, it's kind of the summer for comic movies. There are a lot coming out, and a lot more big names than ever in a single summer.

Russano_Greenstripe

Apr 10, 2011
Exterminas said:
Could someone explain to me how this buisness with the colors really works?
I mean with superman it is like "Here is Cryptonite!" "Blarg" is it the same way with the green guy and a yellow shirt?
It should be explained next week, if MovieBob goes into the mechanics of the Emotional Spectrum.

TL;DR = Yellow beats Green because Yellow represents Fear while Green represents Willpower, and Fear undermines Willpower.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I love these episodes. It's both ludicrously annoying and prohibitively expensive to catch up on all of this continuity, so it's really helpful to have it explained relatively succinctly so that I can actually understand more of what goes on in modern comics.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
In researching about HEAT, I found an actually not bad blog post (words I don't often put together) in regards to the topic.

http://talestomildlyastonish.blogspot.com/2006/01/understanding-fanboys-dont-encourage.html

It even goes further and talks about the consumer's (or more specifically fan's) say in what creators/publishers put out, i.e. not much. Pretty decent read and food for thought.

Jul 9, 2008
I just want to hear more about John Stewart, honestly. I grew up with the Justice League cartoon, what can I say?

That said, this was interesting. I knew a bit of it, but the bits I didn't know were quite illuminating. Keep it up, Bob.

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
Comic fans are weeeeird! At least, if they get that invested in it they are. Makes for an amusing pop-culture tale though.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
General Vengeance said:
Simply one of your best episodes to date MovieBob, well done.
Gosh, I must be tired. I first read that and thought "Uh? What does that episode have to do with dating MovieBob?"

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
If Ian does what I hope he doesn't in Sonic #230, can we get a HEAT for Princess Sally?

No, seriouslly I dead serious go read Sonic #225.