The Big Picture: It Seems Today ...

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
It Seems Today ...

MovieBob takes us into one of his favorite television shows.

Watch Video

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Glad to see some love for Community. :)

But yeah, I don't mind Family Guy, at least now that it's died down a little.
And I certainly do prefer the later seasons.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I'm coming at ya bro...
...with a big hug cuz I love Family Guy too.

.........even if I haven't seen any new episodes of it in months if not years. But still...

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Seriously? that is your big thing? You like family guy? Big freaking deal. I don't understand what the big deal is.

Aconite333

May 1, 2008
I'm mostly taken aback by Bob's Burgers getting affection than any love for Family Guy. I dunno. Bob's Burgers never clicked with me. It just feels like it's only joke is everyone talking loudly and stupidly at once. Period.

While we're on the subject of "adult" animation, I'm still itching to learn more about those other failed adult cartoons you mentioned in a previous episode. The ones that tried to ride the coat tails of the Simpsons' success. You mentioned one particular show called "The Fish People".

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I FUCKING LOVE BOB'S BURGERS

Also I have to agree with you. I still like Family Guy and still enjoy the new episodes. the only reason I got somewhat burned out on older Family Guy is because I usually sleep with my tv tuned into Adult Swim and Adult Swim has a bad habit of play a series episodes over and over and over and over till you find yourself humming "Give up the toad" while trying to take a piss. Come to think of it my dislike for the first few seasons of Family Guy has less to do with the series itself and more to do with my overexposure to it. Which is the same reason why I still can't enjoy Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, the Fox era episodes of Futurama, the early years of American Dad or Robot Chicken. God I really need to stop watching Adult Swim.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I second the comment on Bob's Burgers. I scoffed it off when it first came on the air without really watching it, and towards the end of the first season I sat down to watch it and went "huh, this ain't bad". I don't watch it a lot, but if it's on and I feel like watching tv, damn straight is it going to Bob's Burgers.

I'm not the biggest Family Guy fan (out of MacFarlane's shows I tend to watch American Dad more), but I never really got the hatred for Seth MacFarlane as some talentless hack or something of lowest common denominator. I prefer South Park, The Simpsons (historically), Futurama, and now Bob's Burgers, but Family Guy can be genuinely funny and even smart. Hit and miss for sure (personally I'm not a fan of how long and drawn out some of the jokes are) and some quotes and bits are overdone, but I could think of worse things on tv.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Wait, Family Guy hating is a thing?

Otherwise, yeah, I think it has gotten better over time, and I still watch reruns when they're on. It's a pity that the Cleveland Show is ending, but it would be nice to have a few episode each season devoted to the Browns rather than the Griffins.

All that said, I like American Dad more...

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
I am actually a fan of Family guy as well. While I don't sit and wait for a new episode to come on, I do enjoy the series as a mindlessly amusing stuff. I do agree that the Stewie/Brian dynamic is (for me) the best part of the show, though Chris has some GREAT lines in it

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I thought season 1-3 were hilarious in a really stupid way. I thought everything after that felt too forced or too preachy. There are some occasional gems, but honestly, I can't bring myself to laugh at Family Guy anymore. Also, I'm starting to really get into newer American Dad. Originally I was kind of "eh" about it, but now, I think it's a pretty cool show... with some really disturbing stuff in it sometimes...

Also, I've been a little burnt on Futurama and Adventure Time. They're still pretty good, IMO, but they're far from perfect. I thought Young Justice was awesome, but at the same time, took itself a little too seriously and also had so many complicated convoluted stuff in it... guess that's why I don't read comic books.

Neglected to mention My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or Gravity Falls, though...

Though I DO agree with Bob on one thing: Seth MacFarlane is an incredible talent, being a voice actor, INCREDIBLY singer, and actually a very good comedian. I freaking loved it when he hosted the Oscars! That doesn't make Family Guy any better, though from what I heard, his actual involvement in the writing of that show these days is limited, so I find it hard to blame him for why it sucks as opposed to liking some of the better stuff he's been involved in.

Oh, and Larry & Steve, FREAKING hilarious! And I AM kind of looking forward to that Family Guy/Simpsons cross-over coming next season, so there's that at least.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011

I agree with you Bob, I didn't start enjoying Family Guy until it came back and the characters actually developed personalities, sure their personalities are hateable and just make you want to punch them in the face out of anger (especially Brian), but it was an improvement from the first 3 seasons. Glad you did this episode, you reminded me why I liked Family Guy in the first place

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Wait... it's a thing not to like Family Guy? Huh... learn something new every day. I agree with you on several points, and I'm glad you brought them up.

Also glad to hear some love for Bob's Burgers.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
This video failed to touch on the two things that turn me off from Family Guy. First, the cutaway-humor style means that while the show can generate funny lines, it can't keep up a consistent pace. Second, Peter Griffin is completely and utterly despicable as a person and as a character, and I cannot get invested in any story that centers around him.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
It seems I'm always turning out to be that guy when it comes to certain popular things.

"I mean... who doesn't like Michael Jackson?"

Umm... I don't like him and don't see why he was considered to be so talented.

"I mean... who doesn't like The Simpsons?"

Umm... I don't like The Simpsons. I'm not a fan of any of the characters, the humor isn't funny to me and the older episodes didn't age well. The yellow skin is kinda gross too...

It makes me sound like some sort of Hipster I guess, but I'm really not.

I do like Family Guy, the humor is funny and a lot of the social commentary is enjoyable to watch. McFarlane was part of that ridiculous amount of talent in Cartoon Network's best years. I'm talking McCracken, Faust, Tartakovsky, and others. He's a talented guy. He worked on Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. The show is miles above anything South Park will ever be.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
For me, Family Guy and The Simpsons have two different problems.

With The Simpsons, I always felt they ran out of believable stories after season 8-9 and the things they got into didn't fit the semi-realistic tone of the series up until then. For Family Guy, they drag jokes out for far too long. This is both in terms of one off gags (like that laughing clip at the beginning) or reusing things that I never found particularly funny (that bloody chicken fight!).

I will give it another try though because you asked so nicely.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
So what you're saying is I should keep watching Bob's Burgers? :) Cool.

Joke aside, I agree mostly with you on this. I still don't like Family Guy, but American Dad/The Cleveland Show have been very enjoyable.

I was not a fan of Bob's Burgers at first though. It seemed like Bob was the only sane character in a world of crazy people. However, after watching the show for a few episodes, it has grown on me.

Louise is the best!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I don't mind Family Guy, but I do think it's gotten far too self-referential and hasn't used a good new joke in quite a long while.