The Big Picture: Jawsome

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
the antithesis said:
So Extreme Dinosaurs is a 90's version of Dinosaucers.

No Dinosaucers was more of an attempt to cash in on the transformers/gi-joe action figure craze(which sadly there was never a Dinosaucer toy line) while extreme dinosaurs was a TMNT wannabe.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As a 90's kid, I definitely remember Street Sharks, but you're right, it's obscure, but recognizable enough, although I seriously didn't remember much about that show, I guess it was just forgettable overall.

Also, I swear there was another antropomorphic dinosaur show, I don't remember how it was called*... but good call, this isn't the 90's month, but it'd be nice if in the next episode you cover the Extreme Dinosaurs, it sounds painfully campy... and I'm interested :)

I'm still waiting for Swat Kats, Bob ;)

[small]*YES!, it was the Dinosaucers... they were called something else here in Mexico, I don't remember... but YES!, it's them! :D[/small]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wow. I remember this show. Yeah, now that you mention it, I couldn't tell you much about it, though. I didn't even remember the villains. Like, at all. Probably tells you how much it meant to me.

The Sharks themselves, I barely remember beyond recognizing them as characters from Street Sharks. So, if there was any doubt, I can't really say much about this one. I do remember enjoying it some, and watching it, but it was always more a show of convenience than actual desire, I think. Like Nostalgia Critic said about Captain Planet, you watched it because it was on and there was nothing better to watch.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Trishbot said:
Oh, the 90s. SOOO many "mutant/superhero/monster" hero shows.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creeper Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Can anybody think of any others?
T-rex
Mighty Ducks(no that did happen)

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I remember having some of the toys, and I thought they were pretty cool back in the pre-double-digit age days. Don't remember the show being too spectacular, Swat Kats had that on lockdown, but for what it was they at least did something with the premise.

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
I'm getting a little bored of these 'Bob talks about something i barely remember from 20 years ago' episodes, isnt this supposed to be the BIG picture?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
the antithesis said:
So Extreme Dinosaurs is a 90's version of Dinosaucers.

I loved old 80's theme songs.
I mean, DAMN, that guy is just crooning over the title of the show. "DINOSAUCERRRRRRS!!!!!"

I think the only theme song to get more epic than that was Jayce and the Wheel Warriors.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Glad Bob got around doing a retrospective on Street Sharks. I recall seeing the show and while the designs for the sharks looked great, they lacked distinguishable personalities. If Mattel ever has a crazy notion to reboot this franchise in one form or another, I wouldn't mind seeing the four brothers with their own identities and not just an EXTREME template where each brother has a different hobby.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
LordTerminal said:
Leemaster777 said:
Ah, I'm so glad you did this one, Bob. I've always thought that these guys and the Extreme Dinosaurs are basically the entire mid-90s in a compact package.

Never owned any of the Street Sharks toys myself, but I watched the hell out of the show.

You could probably do an entire SERIES talking about shows like this. You know, those shows based around groups of between 3-6 non-human crime fighters that were trying to cash in on the Ninja Turtles fad. I mean, other than these two, there's Mummies Alive, Vanpires, Biker Mice from Mars, Stone Protectors (which you already covered), and I could swear there was a version of this featuring talking dog people, and another one featuring monkey-men (like Planet of the Apes in space).
The last two you're talking about are more than likely Road Rovers (which was done by Steven Spielberg's animation group and was trying to be more or less a parody of this trend) and Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys (Which had more in common with stuff like Star Fox or Bucky O'hare) respectfully.
Ah, thanks man. Found them.

Also, since I'm sure alot of people probably don't remember it, even though I already said it, here's the ONLY clip of Vanpires I could find on Youtube. (seriously, I cannot find a SINGLE OTHER CLIP of this show. Not even the intro.)

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
Oh my god. I still have a toy from Xtreme Dinosaurs! The green one! I never actually knew where it was from till now.

I'm actually quite glad I watched this now.
WoahDan said:
I'm getting a little bored of these 'Bob talks about something i barely remember from 20 years ago' episodes, isnt this supposed to be the BIG picture?
The Big Picture is just a catchy name. It's always been intended to be a soapbox for Bob.

Edit: Fixing grammar.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
"Personality-wise, they're all kind of the same guy, and that guy is a quintessentially-boring mid-'90s douche-nozzle."

So it's ripping off the TMNT comic rather than the cartoon, then.

(Yes, the Mirage TMNT comic was terrible. Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird should be supplicating themselves at David Wise's feet for turning their badly-written piece of tripe, notable only for being a violent comic book at a time when that was still a novelty, into something worth remembering.)

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
And now that I think about it, Bob is right: There isn't really anything particular I remember about the Street Sharks other than the fact that it existed.
Yeah, same here. I'm pretty certain I did watch an episode or two, but I can remember nothing about it apart from "guys who are sharks".

Biker Mice from Mars is a series I similarly can remember very little about, but the title gives me a warm nostalgia glow which indicates I probably at least enjoyed it at the time!

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I remember having a few street shark toys as a kid. I think I had the leader (the great white) the hammerhead, and one that was half man half eel I think.

I think I had a couple extreme dinosaurs too. A triceratops who could have these bone looking claws attached to his arms and some weird armor, and then a velociraptor with can openers on his arms and a plated tail ending in a spike. Sound at all like e-treme dinos to you guys?

Score one for nostalgia blast!

hino77

Mar 4, 2010
The Street Sharks i only remember through commercials,and the only thing i thought about them was that they looked cool.But Extreem Dinosaurs i remember well, together with TMNT,Power Rangers, Biker Mice from mars, Beast Wars ,Exosquad,Dragonball Z,General Daimos and Saint Seiya they besicaly constituted my entire childhood. Ah nostalgia.