The Big Picture: Last Starr

Mar 30, 2010
Bravestarr was weird even for 80s tv. I never really got into it, but still got all nostalgic over this topic all the same. Seeing all those clips...

I'm still trying to decide whether that was a good thing or not.

Remembering the 80s, probably not.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I remember loving this show as a kid but you're absolutely right, it does not hold up. This is the series that established for me that 80s kids cartoons weren't allowed to have characters die--unless it was from a drug overdose. The War on Drugs was so important in the Reagan era, it was worth scaring kids shitless to get across the message, "drugs are bad, m'kay". (But guns, missiles, plane crashes and killer robots are totally awesome you guys!) The only show from that era that holds up for me is G.I. Joe, and mostly because the writers clearly knew how ridiculous their plots were, and frequently lampshaded it.

The only exception was Robotech, which (as per the anime series it was redubbing) had several deaths of key characters.

Urh said:
L'Oreal? What the hell would a cosmetics company want with an animation studio?

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE
WEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!!
Around the early 90s, neoliberalism slithered its way into governments around the world, and the traditional regulations on corporate mergers and acquisitions were gradually relaxed, so you ended up with liquor companies buying music companies, movie studios merging with internet start-ups, home electronic giants buying movie studios, ten guys controlling all the news in the English-speaking world, etc.

Did you know L'Oreal is owned by Nestle? Those magnificent bastards! After their chocolate gives you acne, you'll have to buy their coverup!

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure I had Bravestarr action figures growing up. I vaguely remember the cartoon, just the fact that he could channel the power of animals.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Urh said:
L'Oreal? What the hell would a cosmetics company want with an animation studio?

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE
WEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!!
Not the strangest example of 80's ARE WEIRD.

A different company looking to expand into previous unheard of markets, including handling the mass produced version of Cabbage Patch Kids sporting goods and a few game systems.

That company's original name is the Connecticut Leather Company. It still makes leather goods to this day. When it created its gaming system, it rebranded itself as Coleco.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
malestrithe said:
That company's original name is the Connecticut Leather Company. It still makes leather goods to this day. When it created its gaming system, it rebranded itself as Coleco.
That's where Coleco came from? Mind=BLOWN.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
not so fast bob. knowing your semi-liberaliasm and such i can guess you've never been to texas. as a native of that state i will have you know that the local stations really liked this show until the early 90s, when newer audiences (including myself) fell in love with other newer stuff (animaniacs, histeria, tiny toons, freakaziod, videogame based stuff). However it still had regular runs when i was a kid watching TV, and i kinda liked it.

However if you really want western combined with sci-fi just go watch firefly, cowboy bebop, or outlaw star.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06l-oiT2Vvw

Can we all just agree that the 80's were a weird but awesome time?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Wait, wait, wait.... back up.

Filmation was bought by L'oreal? Isn't that a beauty product line?

EDIT: Apparently I got distracted and the last 20 posts popped up while I was typing that.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
unacomn said:
The Centurions was awesome!
amen to that. there is so a movie in that cartoon somewhere that needs to be made. but for now I will settle on a Big Picture about them!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
unacomn said:
JPArbiter said:
unacomn said:
amen to that. there is so a movie in that cartoon somewhere that needs to be made. but for now I will settle on a Big Picture about them!
The theme song was the best part of it all. So awesome!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I remember Brave Starr. I've only seen the movie and I actually liked it at the time.
But none of those cartoons can hold a candle to Saber Rider and The Star Sheriffs!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ah while I was fortunate enought to be born from that era but I barely remember that show at all. It was my bro who keep reminded me about that show as he clearly remember watching it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I vaguely recall a cartoon from my child hood in which a city was attacked by a stampede of metal horses (which may or may not have had people riding them), is this that cartoon?