The Big Picture: Last Starr

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
"Now, just for fun, let's see if we can get through the basic story setup with a straight face.

"Our setting, the planet of New Texas." Aaaaand straight face lost.

FirebirdXR

Feb 22, 2011
Walking horse with a shotgun? I like how certain things on 80's cartoons make reflect on the utter ambivalence I currently have on them....

Still... isn't an anthropomorphic horse with a firearm just an awesome concept?
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/8/2011/12/105162e86869c60b9b9c0f3b1fa46648/original.jpg

_
DVS BSTrD said:
He may have been a future cowboy but was he truly a Space Cowboy?
Urh said:
L'Oreal? What the hell would a cosmetics company want with an animation studio?

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE
WEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!!
Because they're worth it?
Damn sir.... that made me laugh. XD
Good on you!

Triality

May 9, 2011
Oh man my nostalgia boner has been reinforced by the strength... of the bear!

I remember my brother had a Brave Star lunchbox and thermos. So much win. I forget everything else about it.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Vault Citizen said:
I vaguely recall a cartoon from my child hood in which a city was attacked by a stampede of metal horses (which may or may not have had people riding them), is this that cartoon?
Maybe, but that also sounds like Wild West COWboys of Moo Mesa.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I did watched this cartoon when I was a kid, although I didn't remember much of it, heck, I even completely forgot it existed, until I watched it recently in Tooncast, along with He-Man and She-Ra (wich I never watched as a kid and I consider it much better than He-Man IMO).

As I watched Brave Starr, I couldn't get off my head how cheesy it is much it reminded me of He-Man, with the same themes and situations, but much, much cheesier, almost like a parody (the Sherlock Holmes episode is so full of win, I even wished he was the protagonist).

Heck, it even featured one of those "lessons for kids" at the end of each episode!.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
malestrithe said:
Vault Citizen said:
I vaguely recall a cartoon from my child hood in which a city was attacked by a stampede of metal horses (which may or may not have had people riding them), is this that cartoon?
Maybe, but that also sounds like Wild West COWboys of Moo Mesa.
I did watch a lot of the stuff like this cartoon as a child but not everything sunk in so there are a few cartoons which I remember the premise of but not the title or much about it. If it weren't for the internet I would have never remembered the names for Black Starr, Mighty Max or that cartoon where the space men used technology augmented dinosaurs.

The one thing I think I rmemeber about that cartoon (the one with the horses) is that I'm pretty sure the horses had legs.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Azurian said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06l-oiT2Vvw

Can we all just agree that the 80's were a weird but awesome time?
Hey, those examples are not even obscure. I remember watching all those cartoons (as well as the one mentioned in this episode)

80s... What a decade to grow up in.

csoloist

Mar 27, 2009
Wait wait wait... For the "better ones" Bob came up with Transformers, Gi Joe and Thundercats? Seriously? Cheesily awesome - absolutely - but good, not so much.

What about Gummi Bears, Robotech, Mysterious Cities of Gold or Real Ghostbusters?

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
I was 6 or 7 and this was my favorite show evar.

A little while back there was a cute little anti-child abuse movement on facebook where everyone was asked to change their profile picture to their favorite childhood cartoon character. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find a picture of that creepy ass talking horse robot, 30-30.

I shat green nickles when I saw him on the front page of Escapist today.

Thanks, Bob ^_^

Saioon

Aug 25, 2010
Until seeing this I didn't realise BraveStarr was obscure, my brother still has his Deputy Fuzz action figure on his shelf.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
wizzy555 said:
Can anyone explain in one to ten sentences how penny arcade got so big. I know they have a webcomic but I only ever "get" 1 in 10 of them.
I would also like this question answered. Their comics are generally "Ok" and not very note worthy. At least not enough to justify their popularity. Although they do run a successful charity for children so I hope P.A. continues to do well.

They also host Check Point and Extra Credits now so that's in their favor.

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
Okay I'm a little surprised. As a kid Bravestar was one of my go-to shows. I owned half the toyline and nearly every coloring book. Sure I wanted Transformers and Thundercats religiously but Bravestar was up there with them. It kinda surprised me to see Bob state that it is considered an underrated 80s cartoon, not that any of them were particularly good but still... I couldn't laugh at the premise because it was just very nostalgic for me.

Mask was another one I watched religiously. Centurions I tried to but for whatever reason I didn't. TV schedules more than likely. My parents tried to keep me from watching Inhumanoids and mostly succeeded. Oh and Dinoriders.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Huh, I went into this all "surprise me, Bob!", but then I started to vaguely recognise some of the characters.

Still can't say for sure if I watched this, but certainly it wasn't for very long.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Bravestarr, damn that was a weird yet awesome cartoon.
Still have a Bravestarr sheriff badge somewhere.....*hmmm*

person427

May 28, 2009
How is he Native American if he comes from another planet? Is there an America there too?

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I was in to Bravestar for a bit. I really liked and wanted the toys though they were pretty expensive at the time where I lived and I only had very few characters compared to the hundreds of He-Man and Action Force* one's I had.
One of the attractions to the toys, besides the generally cool overall design was their large size.

I think Bravestar must have been one of the last toys of that ilk I got in to.

Ahh. Reminiscing can be fun for a while.

*G.I. Joe to you Americans :)

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I never got to enjoy the show of Brave Star, now I'm much sadder for it and now I must go end my life. Ho hum DEPRESSING SIGH

Man, the 80's SURE had some crazy cool cartoons