The Big Picture: Maddening

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Maddening

MovieBob wonders why people keep buying Madden, and why anyone would want Michael Vick on the cover.

Watch Video

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Good episode Bob. Glad to see you talking about something you are passionate about, doubly cool because I agree.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
While I agree that this man is completely unforgivable in what he did and that EA is a bunch of idiots for allowing this sort of thing to possibly happen (among other things), him being on the cover isn't the end of the world.

First, it's a madden game. We've only had about a million of them with one coming out every year. His face in the spotlight will be minimal and brief. Plus, if others feel strongly about it, like you do, you can always boycott the game to send an equally strong message. If the sales are down for that game, EA knows better than to do something like that again (maybe).

Second, the madden curse could easily take affect and let karma take sweet sweet vengeance on this horrid douchebag. It's happened many times before (I'm not sure what happened after the Saints got on the cover for them), but more or less we can expect something to happen and that may, in fact, be the reason he's getting voted so high aside from his "skills."

That's about all I have to say. While I agree he shouldn't be on the cover, there are plenty of worse things out there that we shouldn't really let this become a huge issue.

LulzOdin

Mar 15, 2011
Well said, Bob! Though I think this message is gonna fall into deaf ears, seeing as how EA has been handling its marketing recently (with the Dante's Inferno BS and etc.).
Honestly I could care less about what happens to the mainstream sports games (accept for FIFA series, no one could separate me from them) but it would be a HUGE step back in our "games are art" claim when we make an animal-abuser cover guy to a popular title in our community :S

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Poor Bob, he sounds so sad at the end.

Anyway, I'm a veggie as well as an animal rights activist (and I still think PeTA can suck it), and I don't think I had a strong a reaction as you, Bob. Sure I hated Vick, and hated everyone who allowed him to be reinstated to the NFL, anyone who considered him for the cover of Madden, anyone who votes for him, or defends him- but I still think you took it harder than me.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
The SOB is still winning rounds by a 30% margin. I think the reason most people have forgoten about it (I hope forgoten and not forgiven), is because of the short attention spans of today. It's along the lines of "I can't believe he did that... Tiger did what, I mean who?"

Eicha

Oct 7, 2009
Power to you, Bob. A very good point, in America professional athletes are put on way too high of a pedestal. I remember when the Lakers won the championship, and the mayor of L.A. said "yeah, we'll pay for the victory parade even though the city has no money to support teachers, public services, or education." Sickening.

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
Funny that you mention this, i've been preaching to people and friends about how big of a monster Michael Vick is for years. My old man listens to howard stern a ton and he's always bringing up the topic of how the NFL is stupid for allowing the idiot back into the league.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Maddening

MovieBob wonders why people keep buying Madden, and why anyone would want Michael Vick on the cover.

Watch Video
I'm with you on this, but I do want to throw in an alternate reasoning:

It's okay to ask us to forgive Vick. It's okay to ask that we believe in redemption, and to open ourselves up to the possibility that we are also capable of all evil things if the world were to just catch us on a bad day. It's okay to point out the fact that he's "done his time" and is trying to get his act together. All of that is okay, and I agree.

However.

Forgiving someone, or believing they have redeemed themselves, does not mean forestalling the logical consequences of those actions. It is not wrong, unforgiving, or uncharitable to vehemently want to deny Vick this spot. He paid his legal debt to society, and that's fine. It means he cannot be punished again, but refusing to honor something is not the same as punishment.

If someone robs me and gunpoint, goes to jail, gets out, and then comes to see me for forgiveness, I might choose to use that opportunity to forgive them. I'd let them know that I didn't like what they did, and I'd stop wishing horrible things to happen to them. I'd let them know I really do hope they go on to make better choices. But forgiving them doesn't mean I have to like them, be "buddies," or ever even speak to them ever again. I certainly don't have to make them best man at my wedding, or keep a picture of them on my desk.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
See the Extra Credits episode on EA advertising. You know, for a while, I considered EA the lesser of the two evils when compared to the necromancers known as Activision and their president Bobby Kotick, AKA former president of 4Kids Entertainment of which as an anime fan, there's no redemption.

A while ago, I'd say EA was on its way to redeeming itself: from teaming up with Valve and leaving them be with full creative control, to giving the go-ahead to titles that wouldn't have a chance in hell like Tim Schafer's Brutal Legend, to actually creating incredibly new IP's such as Mirror's Edge. Then '09 came around, and the atrocity known as the Dante's Inferno advertising campaign reared its ugly head. Then came Project Ten Dollar. Then came the utterly superfluous purchase of Playfish...

In short, Activision fucks their games while EA doesn't give a fuck about their games. EA's just doing it for the cheap shock value for a quick buck, and it's working.

As for the Madden thing? Yeah, them getting the exclusive NFL license just rubs salt in the woods, doesn't it Bob? I know it does for me.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I find it incredibly hard to be an Eagles fan right now. The Madden curse, although deserved for Vick to receive a second time doesn't really make up for what he did.

I don't think there's anyone out there who will be buying that game that wouldn't know of Vick's history. I guess it shows that as long as he plays good enough football and gets enough spotlight in the NFL throughout the season, some people are willing to ignore his past.

Reminds me of a few Dead Kennedys songs...

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
I am deeply upset with you bob! As a Carnivore and plant-rights activist I...cant keep this up anymore.

Seriously I couldnt give a damn about pansy assed US rugby-with-pads, or any other sport, but this guy should'nt be touched by any association, it says alot about organistions like the NFL that they'd even let guys like this play for them.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Honestly, I think you guys should put Master Chief on the cover. Apparently he sells a lot of games.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
HankMan said:
Hey Bob, what about the Madden Curse? I think he's earned that!
And trust me, your voice counts for something (even if you were completely wrong about Rango)
I agree. Some people may be voting for him, hoping that the Madden Curse will finally do to him what the legal system couldn't.

The sad truth is that even in this 'enlightened' age, dogs are still viewed legally as property first, and as a living thing second in the eyes of the law.