The Big Picture: Maddening

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
I completely agree with you Bob.

Unfortunatley as usual the cover poll is nothing more than a popularity contest where people vote for a guy who like purely on a professional level or have some sort of feeling of respect for him because hes had a good season / was on a team you like / is on a team you like.

If EA thinks that it can sell a few more boxes then I don't think it would bother them if they put Bundy or Ed Gein on the front cover as long as they had some sort of proof (ie, the voting polls) that enough people would be willing to shell out money for it.

On the subject of paying for a roster update I do agree to an extent, but the Madden games in recent years have had alot of good functionality added that has really improved the game. Fair enough that alot of it is 'background' functionlity (ie, route running, animations, multiplayer etc).

I'm not trying to justify the same cost each year as all they are doing is adding & tweaking stuff onto the same basic engine, but sometimes itsn't it better to have something that performs better but doesn't have any 'OMGWOWTHATSSOCOOL' features than lots of new stuff but the core basic problems of the previous years still laughing at you?

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
It's funny how people want to vote players to be on the cover of Madden with the whole Madden Curse and all. Yeah, Vick's an asshole, but I wanted to see him at least do well with the Iggles because it made for an interesting story. Then again, if he isn't voted to be on the cover, who will be? Aaron Rodgers?

....on second thought, yes vote for Aaron Rodgers to be on the cover of Madden NFL 12. And the fact that I am a Bears fan has nothing to do with that at all. No sir, not at all.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I fully agree with you Bob (both about Vick and Madden in general)
A few years ago I lived in a bad neighborhood. My family at the time owned 3 dogs (I forgot the breeds, but 2 males and a female). One morning someone stole the female out of our yard when we let them out to go to the bathroom. 6 mouths went by and we finally found out what happed.
She was made to fight other bigger dogs and when she lost she was left for dead, Someone found her half dead wandering the streets and took her to the Humane Society where some kind hearted stranger paid for all of her medical expenses and she was able to survive, and had her face rebuilt.
The stranger adopted her, and we gave them our blessing us not wanting to bring her back into the neighborhood that we shortly moved out of.

So I understand how horrible dog fighting is.

May 5, 2010
Bob, I usually disagree about your views on movies and games, but when we agree, we REALLY agree. This is one of those times. (The other was when you discussed your beliefs about the existence of a God)

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I'm I they only one that smiled a bit at the thought of Bob getting a justified beating, I felt bad about feeling good about that afterwards, but still.

As for Vick winning, its the internet, I feel they are deliberately voting the choice that will make the game have a bad public image for the sake of laughs. Its not because they support him, they just find it funny that someone with a lot of hate gets rewarded and they get to watch people get angry over it. So yeah EA shouldn't have put him in the the running in the first place, but the internets going to do what it always does. The internet voted that a bridge in hungry be named after Stephen Colbert, a british special forces group use the Team Gurren symbol, and that Justin Beiber be sent to North Korea, all for laughs.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
How many people can readily remember the name of any Madden game Cover star? It's not Micheal Vick football it's Madden, the cover is literally irrelavant 10 minutes after the release of the game. That is why it will never matter that he was on it. That's right WAS on it because it's already irrelevant.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
wow... cant say I saw this one coming...

oh, and to the guy who explained his approval of this because "its just a dog"...
please cease from ever talking about subjects...

Random Name 4

Oct 23, 2010
You mad?

Seriously, I don't give a shit about animal rights or the NFL, but surely it is obvious that this is just trolling?

You are rising to the bait of some trolls, they have been successful

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Hmm. I really don't care about either American football or dogfighting... guess this episode wasn't for me. :p

And it seems a pretty small issue for a column called 'The Big Picture'. But hmm, there's also been a lot of episodes about comics, so maybe that point is kinda moot.

boeingguy787

Nov 19, 2009
Seriously, guys? NOBODY believes in second chances? I thought that the justice system was designed to rehabilitate people, and Vick seems to be rehabilitated (unlike countless others who have not changed their ways).

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Sorry Bob, but I don't agree with a lot of this, there are much worse crimes this man could have done; murder, rape, child abuse etc than simply making dogs fight each other. Sure, it's cruel alright and I wouldn't do it personally, but just as bad things go on in nature every day. Also I didn't like in your video how you dismissed a lot of the oppositions potential arguments without even explaining why you did so. I happen to believe that morals don't apply in the same way to animals as they do to humans, I don't see an issue here.

Perhaps it's time to forgive and forget, he's done his time and if he says he's sorry, then I'll accept that. Anyway, just being on the front of what quite frankly is an unimportant video game cover for just one year is hardly worth being worked up about.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Dastardly said:
MovieBob said:
Maddening

MovieBob wonders why people keep buying Madden, and why anyone would want Michael Vick on the cover.

Watch Video
I'm with you on this, but I do want to throw in an alternate reasoning:

It's okay to ask us to forgive Vick. It's okay to ask that we believe in redemption, and to open ourselves up to the possibility that we are also capable of all evil things if the world were to just catch us on a bad day. It's okay to point out the fact that he's "done his time" and is trying to get his act together. All of that is okay, and I agree.

However.

Forgiving someone, or believing they have redeemed themselves, does not mean forestalling the logical consequences of those actions. It is not wrong, unforgiving, or uncharitable to vehemently want to deny Vick this spot. He paid his legal debt to society, and that's fine. It means he cannot be punished again, but refusing to honor something is not the same as punishment.

If someone robs me and gunpoint, goes to jail, gets out, and then comes to see me for forgiveness, I might choose to use that opportunity to forgive them. I'd let them know that I didn't like what they did, and I'd stop wishing horrible things to happen to them. I'd let them know I really do hope they go on to make better choices. But forgiving them doesn't mean I have to like them, be "buddies," or ever even speak to them ever again. I certainly don't have to make them best man at my wedding, or keep a picture of them on my desk.
<3 u

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
boeingguy787 said:
Seriously, guys? NOBODY believes in second chances? I thought that the justice system was designed to rehabilitate people, and Vick seems to be rehabilitated (unlike countless others who have not changed their ways).
He got his second chance - he's still playing professional football and getting paid obscene amounts of money for it. He's been given the opportunity to make a living off his athletic prowess. Anything other than that? He was a millionaire who got his jollies torturing and killing innocent animals. He can die in a damn fire.

Rkiver

High King of Tara
Mar 30, 2010
I had no idea who this Vick guy was (Yay international audience member).

I think Bob hit the nail on the head with regards to this one though. That sums it up. Nothing more or less.

*Goes and hugs and brushes the two kittens he rescued*

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Dastardly said:
Forgiving someone, or believing they have redeemed themselves, does not mean forestalling the logical consequences of those actions.
Bravo.

Well said indeed.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Not much to say about this one except yeah I agree. Since God is the only one I can think of that is capable of sorting out who is really repentant and who is just putting on an act its hard to let things like this go. For us mere mortals we need to see positive action equal to or greater then the crimes committed before we are willing to forget something like animal cruelty.

What about the message this kind of thing could send to young people. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as your talented you can be a monster. If we want to be evolved humans and not just upright walking hairless apes we can't tolerate this kind of behavior.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Mr. Chipman, I'd like to solicit your opinion directly, if I may: What if Rapistburger was in the running? Would you have done this episode on him?

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
well done bob, it is about time people stop giveing sports players "special" treatment just because they are good at a sport and start making them more accountable to there actions not just a slap on the wrist then send them back to there million dollar jobs.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
"Stick Yoshi in it"

Congrats, Bob, now you can't deny that you're a hypocrite.

Although I can't complain. I'd buy a Mario football game, if only because it has Mario characters in it. Hell, it's what got me into Mario Tennis and Mario Golf (somewhat).