The Big Picture: Magneto Was Right

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
As to whether or not nerds are superior..... well, I am a nerd, and I have to say, not really. I'm a biologist, but I have done some chemistry, and while you can't be an idiot and succeed in science, neither do you have to be a genius to get a science degree. The key ingredients to being a good scientist or intellectual are:

1) A passion for the subject (in my case, genetics and developmental biology)
2) A reasonable memory
3) Training in sceptical (skeptical if you're American) thinking and the scientific method.

While I don't know any idiots in the scientific field, most of us, including myself, aren't world-renowned geniuses either. Frankly, your average scientist might think clearer than most, but that's because they've had training (Yes, you CAN be trained to think better, and that's what a good university can do for you).

But having an innate interest in science isn't proof of superiority or a great intellect. My brother is, frankly, probably smarter than me and more imaginative to boot. He went into IT and business and he hated science and didn't do too well in school (well enough to pass, but getting A's was the least of his concerns). By having a Master's Degree in a scientific discipline, am I better than my Brother? Hell no! My Brother's great. He's just as smart, probably smarter than me, and is probably a nicer guy (although I have a better control over my temper, he's the one with the real heart).

Being a nerd doesn't make you superior in any way. Bullies target people just because they can. I've met some real jerks in science, believe me. There are some scientists who derive no greater pleasure than from tearing, absolutely TEARING apart a colleague in public. Yes, good scientist are supposed to be ultra critical of all papers, but some of the stuff I've seen just borders on plain, pure psychotic emotional abuse. Many scientists are no better than anyone else, and I say that as a scientist. Luckily, my colleagues that I've worked with so far have been great. The nice scientists are the ones who tend to be at the bottom of the food chain. But in science, the higher up you go, the more the human and emotional side of people starts to show. Virtually all the heads-of-schools that I've met have been dead cold socio-paths who would THROW YOU TO THE WOLVES, LITERALLY, if it meant that they could get their hands on another PCR machine. I have known several academics, paranoid and mean-spirited, but in positions of great power, who basically spent WEEKS trying to collect signatures to get another fellow academic evicted and fired, just because they didn't go to their birthday party. I have met (not worked with, thankfully) some scientists who will try to sabotage your experiments, or take your reagents, or contaminate your equipment, for no real reason other than they don't like your face. Luckily, such psychotic jerks don't last long in science, but the insidious, emotionally abusive scientists often rise to the TOP of their department.

I've been with more than enough Nerds to know that they are really no better than anyone else. Believe me, if you have ever worked in a large lab or a building with multiple labs and warring departments all competing for limited resources, it gets REALLY UGLY, REALLY FAST. Which is really depressing - as scientists, aren't we supposed to be more rational, less emotional, fair-minded and driven solely by results? Well, that's the idealised image we try to project. But let me tell you, you sit in on some lab meetings, and you can sense the violence, the sheer violence and hatred in the air. You'd think there would be less bullying, harassment (sexual or otherwise) or meanness in an academic setting. No. Not at all. There's no escaping the human element, and scientists are humans, and some humans will be jerks and bullies. Same goes for Nerds.

And that's why I hate most lab meetings. And it's also why I'm depressed most mornings when I have to wake up.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Best episode yet.

I'd probably start on Magneto's team, but if I survived the first few days to months and witnessed all the death and destruction he and his team (and presumably myself) caused, I'd switch to Xavier's side and hope I survive the wrath that befalls me for that decision.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I'd not generalise, just go apeshit on anyone who had done something against me personally.

So, no team for me, just straight up murder. Or just messin' with them. I haven't decided yet.

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
Jesus, these just keep getting better and better.

It's refreshing to see a discussion video that doesn't try to convince the audience to accept a thesis, but instead challenges the audience to ask a serious question about their personal identity.

I don't know whose team I'd end up on, to tell you the truth. What I do know is that that question is going to be haunting me for awhile.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
Its less matter of different and more a matter of social norms. Accuracy is irrelevant. Liking sports, disliking fantasy, average intellect, drinking, smoking, enjoying parties, this is stuff society calls normal. Not liking these things hits a subconscious cue. Not only are you different, but actively going against the group.

For example, some people in my dorm wanted to go out drinking and invited me a few times. I dont drink so I said no. To them this wasn't me not wanting to drink, this was me not wanting to socialize with the group and soon I was no longer invited to anything, this further pushed the "outsider" identity onto me and alienated me further. This kind of self perpetuating cycle is common.

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
I would probably be on my own side, siding with either when I felt it suited me or my goals. Basically, opressing and intimidating the normals would be a waste of my time, as would saving them from a mutant or group of mutants they pushed to a breaking point would be.

Sep 4, 2009
There's a bit of a jump in the logic here.

The bullies determined that you were different: the whole argument that follows assumes that the difference is real and meaningful; ie that the bullies were correct. (I doubt they were thoughtful enough to publish their argument for peer review scrutiny, eh? Those bastards!)

Anything can be rationalised, but that doesn't mean that all things occur for intellibly rational reasons.

Beginning an argument with the belief that a group of tormenters who targetted you (for reasons you have been trying to rationalise ever since, since the patterns of behave have been visible ever since) is still just rationalising for the sake of rationalising.

TL;DR: the world is a mess, to spend a short lifetime in the frustrated agonising pursuit of reasons for it will never give enough justice or satisfaction for price paid in years/waking hours spent and chances for happiness wasted.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I didn't like this philosophy nor the attitude it was presented in sorry. You were good because you admitted bias at the start, which is a brave thing to do

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
While neat, it isn't news to anyone. The "nerds" grow up and run the show. We knew that when getting picked on, which is why we all wanted to grow up so bad. On the other hand, for everyone else, the reality of approaching adulthood must have been terrifying.

All the macho anti intellectualism is simply nerds marketing their products to the known larger masses. Sure it might seem like distorted, but some nerd is getting rich off that crap.

The issue with the Xmen comparison is that, their plight will never change or end. Being ostracized as a nerd usually is hell from 6th to 11th grade, that's 5 or 6 years, then it ends and everyone grows up. Some get over it, and some write articles saying if they had the chance, they'd be a super villain.

The other issue is that the Xmen ARE superior. It's not ambiguous human racism because as far as we can tell, all the races are pretty much the same, with most of their differences being cultural.

The whole comic hero comparison is silly because if superior people slip into control with ease. If you had an intellect that made that of Mark Zuckerberg look simple, then I'd assume your kind would inherit control of everything pretty fast. Hatching harebrained schemes, and dressing up in suits that make you walking targets would hardly be the name of the game.

metalmanky306

Dec 30, 2010
wow, bob. it's really starting to show that you don't have that much love for humanity, which is perfectly understandable given what you've been through by the sound of it. but coming from a 16 year old who's still in school and generally oppressed for not just trying to know more about stuff but also being a bit of a social anomalie who is not only misunderstood by others but even sometimes has trouble understanding them, i would still be on professor X's side. i think i'm mostly inspired by doctor who's whole "yeah, they can be dicks but they can also be brilliant" and not to mention just the whole feeling you get towards the universe when I <3 huckabees is one of your favorite movies (those of you who haven't seen it, do. it WILL change your perceptions of reality and, hopefully, your outlook on life.

INCIDENTALLY
Tarkand said:
technically, 'Homo Superior' isn't some kind of mutation (i.e. despite being called Mutant)... it's evolution.
TECHNICALLY evolution IS mutation. that's kinda the idea of the whole story. look up how evolution works... you may be surprised

Sep 14, 2009
DarkSpectre said:
gmaverick019 said:
hmm it must have been a longggg time since you were in high school..that shit hardly ever happened, if it did, it was once every pink moon (which never fucking happens)

there was one time when your more than average nerds were in the library (they were some freshman and sophmore i think, i didn't recognize them at the time) , and they were being made fun from some more jockish kind of kids, and i told the kids to shut the fuck up or see me outside later to get a beating and they backed off. the nerds look dumbfounded at how this worked, but i just went about my day and none of that shit ever happened again (at least on my watch!)

but i always have, and always will, join the x-men, i would with all my power, stop people like you from trying to 1 UP normal humans for just being normal. thats not going to solve anything other than more suffering, so prepare to have adversaries, movie bob.
"With great power comes great responsibility."
I am with you here mate. I choose to be a sheepdog rather than a wolf. My intellect and strength I use to prevent oppression and tyranny. Using your brain to oppress and take revenge against the physical oppressors makes no better than them. If it was wrong for them to do it to you it is wrong for you to do it to them. I'll stand up and defend the oppressed until the moment they become the oppressors and then may God have mercy on their souls.
exactly, i could be the only one on that team, but my conscious would never allow me to harm another for simple being

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Unfortunately, I'd probably go with the X-men. Unfortunately because it's a total waste. Let's sow the people that our powers are great by ensuring the survival of a society that could never allow us to live as anything more than second-class citizens! Right...
Plus Magneto's people get better costumes.

It goes against my moral code, though, so I would probably side with the X-men.

Maybe I'd form a third faction. The "show these fuckers what we can do by doing good things" faction. No violence, no secrecy. Telepaths become psychiatrists, ice-people become firefighters, super brained people cure diseases and invent useful devices, beast people do... stuff, fire-starters join the Mythbusters, that sort of thing.

As for the video, I can't say I fully agree. "Because you're different" isn't a full answer, true, but it's not wrong, either.
Full answer: Nerds (I use this as a general term) are disrespected because we are different in a way that isn't entirely comprehensible. We occupy ourselves by doing things that don't make sense, that seem tedious, immature or both. Turn the statement around. Many of us probably can't figure out why the hell basketball is was so important, yet it was. "Made millions for bouncing a ball on the ground" is a good display of this. Nerds and our culture are pushed out because it doesn't make sense that anyone could like that sort of thing.

King Crab

Jul 20, 2009
I'd side with Flaming Carrot. someone needs to take care of all the hookers and stripers and be buddies with death.

Onwards with nuclear pogo sticks and bits of string!

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
I can truly and honestly say I would be on Xavier's team, until I got sick of saving the world and never getting appreciated for it and strike out on my own, since I would not join Magneto's team.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
370999 said:
Mantonio said:
370999 said:
Mantonio said:
Interesting video. It would be tempting, but I don't think I'd be on Magnetos side. If simply because Xaviers side has a guy with unbreakable bones and claws that can only be killed by drowning.

Also, Bob, you should TOTALLY cover Marvel Civil War next.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I think we should all make a pact to never ever ever mention it ever again. Maybe God will decide to delete it if we all wish hard enough for it's non-existence.
WE HAVE TO DO IT MAN! WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT! IT'LL JUST KEEP TEARING US APART UNLESS WE LET IT ALL OUT!

Seriously though, what a bloody shamble Civil War was. The only way they could have turned Stark and the pro-reg side even worse is to give them all little Hitler moustaches.

ESPECIALLY that S.H.I.E.L.D. woman. You know the one. The one that actually orders the soldiers to fire on Captain America.
It's a shame as the concept was kinda cool, it's just one side was made into massive dicks and Cap became Retard McRetardson. For the record I would of been Pro-reg. Don't hate me.
I'll try, but it's hard not to hate a group that unconstitutionally conscript kids, have their own Guantanamo Bay prison in a dimension that's proven to have detrimental effects on ones mental state, and who CLONED THOR. Even IF he wasn't a literal Norse God, the number of national, international and ethical rules that breaks is unbelievable.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Well after watching the video and looking at the responses it does my heart good to know people have minds of their own and choose neither Charles Xaviers Boys and Girls Club nor Magento's merry band of thugs. Seriously neither option would solve the problem and I prefer the peace through strength approach. You treat me like a human being and I'll treat you like one but if you try to hurt, maim, or kill me don't expect me to turn the other cheek.

Plus there seems to be a lot of people in the Marvel-verse that seem to be gunning for Darwin awards the stupid folks.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Amyler said:
In Australia, it's called Tall Poppy syndrome. Cutting down those who are rising above you simply because that's what they're doing.
So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
"These oaks are just too greedy,;
We will make them give us light."

Now there's no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw.

- From "Trees," by Rush.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
MovieBob said:
Magneto Was Right

This week, Bob looks at what it's like to be "different."

Watch Video
I have to admit, ive pondered this myself. I would join Magneto in a heartbeat. Only problem I'd have would be him wanting to kill large number of innocent people from time to time.

Go after all the mutant haters yes but leave the normal humans alone.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Archangel357 said:
Ashoten said:
O damn I better start making fun of Sarah Palin like ever no talent comedian since 2007. I better agree with the majority so I'm not burned at the stake for blasphemy. "SARCASM"!!
Btw I find it painfully hypocritical that many Liberals and conservatives on the extremes have no tolerance for any opinion other then their own(Stares at Archangel357). You know...since both sides preach "TOLERANCE".
The FACT that Sarah Palin is dumb as a rock is not a matter of "majority opinion". Also, it's funny that since I said something negative about that hillbilly twat, you automatically peg me as a "liberal". You don't know me like that, mate.

I've never preached tolerance in my life. Stupidity, especially the public and arrogant kind, is a fucking blight upon the earth, and all intelligent men must fight it tooth and nail whenever they encounter it.
Ok so your not a Hypocritical Liberal or Conservative. So you enjoy passing judgement on others intelligence and point it out as fact because it's funny or makes you feel better about yourself. What does that remind me of?