The Big Picture: Marvel Mess

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Ha, what are the odds, I only have a handful of American comics - as opposed to having a small library of European comics - yet I do own a copy of this "Angela".

It's labeled as "Image Special #3".

And up until now, I never realized it was written by Neil Gaiman. Isn't he suppose to be some "acclaimed" writer? Because it doesn't really show in this thing. (Though, to be honest, I've never been all that impressed with most US comics.)

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Dear MovieBob: to avoid wasting everyone's time in the future about how 'this isn't going to fit into one episode' please just add the following two words after your title: "Part One."

Problem solved.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Meh I seen worse buxon warrior woman and it isn't Xeno (look up Tarot).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Kuomon said:
Who imposes the 5 minute limit? Is it the escapist or did Bob simply decide that was the only runtime that would work?
Keep in mind that he DOES do 2 other shows (I think Overthinker is still going), and writes an article every Friday. So a 5 minute run time is probably all he has time for.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Just like any good comic book episode, it leaves you wanting Moore.
*Chucks you down an elevator shaft hoping you get the reference*

Am I one of the few who really enjoys the multi-part episodes?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Neil Gaiman... I KNOW theres something he's done that I loved...

Oh yeah...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I happened to enjoy the Angela mini-series, and I remember when Wizard magazine (remember THAT?!) had her voted as the best new character of the year. She was a big deal for awhile....

... And then the legal stuff went down and it became a mess. Angela was removed from the Spawn TV series (making her cameo in the second part entirely pointless) and replaced with some Asian ninja named Jade. She was "killed" in the comics (though the Angela knock-off, Tiffany, was still running around). She never had another spin-off series or toy made of her ever again (even Miracleman got one of those later on). It was, all in all, a sorry end to a character that, while not "totally awesome", was still a pretty interesting character within the Spawn universe (a demon-hunting angel falls in love with a hellspawn. Cue the drama).

The thing is... she was pretty essentially tied to the Spawn universe and lore. Her costume even had Spawn logos and symbols on it. If she shows up in Marvel, she'll essentially be a character that is entirely different from her former self in every single way, from visuals to story, thus making her just a brand new character with the same name... at which point I ask, why bother?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I heard a lot of this before now. While it could be wrong it was simply abbreiviated into the simple fact that Gaiman and Mcfarlane continue to have slap fights over rights from the 1990s, not getting along at all nowadays despite having both once been partners. Gaiman wants to use one of his more successful hero characters Angela, which happens to be part of Mcfarlane's "Spawn" Universe which he still makes money off of. The central issue being that if this is the same character, meaning not simply one that looks and more or less acts the same, by using it in Marvel an arguement can be made that arguably Mcfarlane's major continiuity becomes yet another one of Marvel's parallel worlds, or at least a version of it does. A point which is paticularly interesting given that Marvel as a whole has never really done much with the concept of angels or heaven, sure we have demons, devils, and all kinds of nasty hellscapes, but other than characters that look angelic and might have claimed to have started the legends early on, I don't think we have ever seen a Marvel character with a directly heavenly origin, at least not one that I can think of.

Bob might be going somewhere else with it, but that is the gist of the situation as I understand it.

As far as the popularity of Angela and so on... well I'll say that a lot of people, Bob in paticular, seem to be getting too heavily into the whole "90s suck" vibe here still. Angela was a pretty popular character in her own right, and the simple fact that she was going to be making some bit apperances in various Spawn cartoons, or that there was a character who was supposed to be her in live action Spawn (never really named) were of course big news among comic geeks. Yes, she's ridiculously hot, and wears some interesting costumes, but really the people that have a problem with that tend to represent the actual minority.

Speaking for myself, I'm all for Angela's appearance in Marvel as it could introduce some concepts that haven't been heavily explored in that universe yet. I also admit that as much as I liked Spawn, I've had a sort of hate on for Mcfarlane since he went after Palladium (RPG company) years ago and forced them to change the name of their "Nightspawn" game to "Nightbane", claiming that the work was too similar to spawn and could cause confusion based on that name. One of the more "WTF" victories I've seen in these kinds of incidents. The way Todd has slapped around the little guy, I'd feel there was a bit of karmic justice if he somehow lost his most famous work/shared universe to a megalithic company like Disney/Marvel much the same way.

-

As far as Neil Gaiman's chops as a writer, it mostly comes from "Sandman" which arguably put DC's "Vertigo" on the map. He also did a seres of novels "American Gods", "Anasazi Boys", etc... which seemed to go over pretty well.

DragonAccess

Apr 2, 2013
Anyone know what the comic was that he used an image of to illustrate "a few good books"? It looked kind of cool.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I know how this ends up going. I didn't know most of the context however. While next week is going to be old news for me, maybe linking it back to this info will give me some info I didn't know before.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
DragonAccess said:
Anyone know what the comic was that he used an image of to illustrate "a few good books"? It looked kind of cool.
The Maxx by Sam Keith. It's about a homeless schizophrenic superhero combined with Australian aboringeese folklore. I've only read a little of it but I liked what I read. Sam Keith is a good artist, so it's worth reading almost anything he draws.

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
Gawd Daymumit! I just want answers! I'd watch half hour Big Pictures because Movie Bob always seems to find very interesting approaches to things that I didn't even know or care about.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Damn, and I was more interested in hearing about what Ultron is doing in the new event, though, it was interesting to know that Gaiman created something for Spawn. But then again, it's Spawn, and I couldn't care less. If Gaiman's doing work for Marvel again, however, I might go read this new stuff, after I finish catching up on some of the older stuff.

Resin213

Jan 22, 2009
That MiracleMan series was truely badass. Totally worth reading for anyone who has not.