The Big Picture: Marvel Mess

MightyLB

Nov 18, 2009
I also find these multi-part episodes interesting, especially when they cover the behind-the-scenes of comics stuff that I only have a basic grasp of, because like the comics themselves, these things can get pretty convoluted. The one fight I DO hope gets avoided is Marvel vs. Fox, so that Marvel will able to use The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in a upcoming Avengers film. Of course, that is extremely wishful thinking, especially with so much Avengers money to be made, but like all nerds, at least I can dream.

Hindkjaer

Sep 15, 2010
Is it me, or does Alan Moore look like a Charles Manson from a alternat dimension ?? I mean looking at his writing, and the fact that he IS into alternative timelines.. That could make sense?!?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kuomon said:
Who imposes the 5 minute limit? Is it the escapist or did Bob simply decide that was the only runtime that would work?
Other videos, including I think Bob's, have exceeded 5 minutes. As such, I think this is more self-imposed or deliberately done than a real problem.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Watching all these videos about comics make me realize two things: One, that comics are awesome. And two, that I will never read any of them. I mean seriously, if all this stuff is so inter-connected, it would take years to sort it all out. I read Watchmen and V for Vendetta because I was told they were awesome and because they were self-contained, but I don't see how I could delve any deeper into the medium without drowning in it.
There is much more to comics than Marvel and DC, and even there there are some start points today: try Hawkeye from Marvel.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Well that was a waste of time.

This was just information for information's sake.

It needs a fucking thesis.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
I'm looking forward to gaining more perspective on why there aren't compilations of Miracleman available.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
MDSnowman said:
For a minute there I was proud that I actually remembered Angela... and then gawked at my screen thinking "Why the hell would any comic universe want her."
Just wondering but what's so bad about her exactly? I never read comics much so I'm kinda flying blind about this character. Honestly, I think the only comics I've read in my life are like a few "Sin City" ones, "Watchmen", those complete case file deals they have for Judge Dredd and Sailor Moon.

OT: Yeah, this could end up being a couple of parters if it's really that one in nature. Honestly, I swear he could do a whole damn stand alone show just about the "Comic's are weird!" thing he does sometimes.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
dalek sec said:
MDSnowman said:
For a minute there I was proud that I actually remembered Angela... and then gawked at my screen thinking "Why the hell would any comic universe want her."
Just wondering but what's so bad about her exactly? I never read comics much so I'm kinda flying blind about this character. Honestly, I think the only comics I've read in my life are like a few "Sin City" ones, "Watchmen", those complete case file deals they have for Judge Dredd and Sailor Moon.

OT: Yeah, this could end up being a couple of parters if it's really that one in nature. Honestly, I swear he could do a whole damn stand alone show just about the "Comic's are weird!" thing he does sometimes.
Truth is she's a somewhat two dimensional piece of eye candy, and a secondary character on her best day to boot. I don't hate her so much as wonder what anyone stands to gain by plopping her in their universe. (other than Todd MacFarlane who clearly needs a new way to keep his toy business afloat)

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Yeah miracle man got really dark,really quickly,hey kids remember that silly lighthearted stuff,well now you have rape murder and decapitation ^_^
Kid miracleman sure does know how to have fun.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
No Bob, that's not the Big Picture. That's half a picture without anything colored in. What am I even looking st here?

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I saw the Captain Marvel example coming all the way from Voyager 1's position, so SHAZAM! With Captain Marvel in mind, I feel that the whole Angela thing will be overshadowed completely because nobody cares about the character. Rather soon, Marvel's Black Adam-esque character opposite Angela will completely overshadow her. Quote me now on this because it will happen.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
The logic of comic books: you crawl out of one whole, and into another.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Copper Zen said:
This brings back memories. I remember having a subscription to X-Men when I was a kid AND buying an extra copy from lunch money to save. I was a kid--what did I know about girls much less investment planning?

Angela! The most blatant example of Spawn's creator McFarlane's pandering to the hormones of teenage boys at a time when the internet didn't exist so access to "hot pictures" in comics we on par with Playboy for most boys.

The sad thing about Angela is that she was actually more interesting than the consummately predictable Spawn.

Poor Angela...
Is her power not to get cold? I've seen less revealing underwear.

DragonAccess

Apr 2, 2013
Pseudonym2 said:
DragonAccess said:
Anyone know what the comic was that he used an image of to illustrate "a few good books"? It looked kind of cool.
The Maxx by Sam Keith. It's about a homeless schizophrenic superhero combined with Australian aboringeese folklore. I've only read a little of it but I liked what I read. Sam Keith is a good artist, so it's worth reading almost anything he draws.
Thank you I will check it out!

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
DragonAccess said:
Pseudonym2 said:
DragonAccess said:
Anyone know what the comic was that he used an image of to illustrate "a few good books"? It looked kind of cool.
The Maxx by Sam Keith. It's about a homeless schizophrenic superhero combined with Australian aboringeese folklore. I've only read a little of it but I liked what I read. Sam Keith is a good artist, so it's worth reading almost anything he draws.
Thank you I will check it out!
There was a cartoon series that covered the first part of the story (on MTV I think) which was absolutely brilliant and well worth tracking down too.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
And what have I learned from this episode?

Doctor Strange is back to being Sorcerer Supreme!

Now get the guy his own book again.

Please...

Or are you going to try to get me to finally cave and buy Avengers books.
Well ok, but just the one where he gets the mantle back.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
Im a comic book fan and even im more confused about this angela buisness then i was before watching the video... is the connection to marvelman because marvel also bought him a while ago and didnt do anything with him since?